Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Broadwell NUC5 using Clover UEFI (NUC5i5MHYE, NUC5i3MYHE, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am having trouble with OSX recognizing my display. It does not output the correct 1920x1200 resolution and does not have the option to select that resolution too.

The performance of the scrolling and the movement of my cursor seems sluggish too, is it due to the OSX drivers of the intel hd5500?

Any solutions?

I am currently using the NUC5i5MYBE.

Thank you.

I am having trouble with OSX recognizing my display. It does not output the correct 1920x1200 resolution and does not have the option to select that resolution too.

I have a similar setup and the same Resolution 1920x1200 and it works well for me.
My display is connected using a displayport cable with one mini and one normal connector.
Graphics acceleration is working as well here (except video decoding like youtube)

How is your display connected?
Is your OSX installed and did you follow all the steps in the original post of this thread?

- make sure the model is set in your clover config.plist. (iMac16,2 works for me)

My display is connected via a miniDP to VGA adapter. I do not think the cause of the problem is with the adapter as clover boot screen displays nice and sharp.

I had followed all the steps in the original post, but had notice that there isn't any steps related to installing the hd5500, i.e. installation of additional kext. Is there something I am missing out?

Thanks.

My display is connected via a miniDP to VGA adapter. I do not think the cause of the problem is with the adapter as clover boot screen displays nice and sharp.

I had followed all the steps in the original post, but had notice that there isn't any steps related to installing the hd5500, i.e. installation of additional kext. Is there something I am missing out?

Thanks.

VGA is not supported. Use a monitor that uses a real HDMI or DP port. In order to use a VGA monitor, you would need an "active HDMI/DP->VGA adapter". Keyword, "active"... such that the system sees the monitor as HDMI/DP, not VGA...

If you think you have an issue, read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Got my NUC5i3RYH working after after some mistakes, including sleep and audio.

Has anyone got VDADecoder support on the Broadwell NUC?

I added iMac16,2 to the VDADecoder.bundle/Contents/Info.plist and rebuilt kextcache, but it does not work.

Would be really nice if we could get this to work, it keeps the fan off while watching video.

Video decoding acceleration works now!

As usual it was a mistake on my side.

I added a with CloverConfigurator generated SMBIOS section for the iMac16,1 to my config.plist

Additionally I replaced the Graphics section to only say Inject->Intel->true without the id-platform-id.

Now the graphics adapter is showing as HD 5500 1536MB and the Model is iMac 21.5" Late 2015.

4K video decoding in QuickTime is now 5-10% CPU usage as in Windows or my MacBook.

OpenCL is now almost twice as fast, the Galaxy OpenCL app shows 117 Gigaflops instead of 47.
I verified with the Intel Power Gadget, and it too shows now GPU as 0.75Ghz on Desktop and boosting to 0.85Ghz in Benchmark. Before it was fixed at 0.3Ghz.

Conclusion: Adding generated SMBIOS section with serial etc. is mandatory for full GPU support.

Video decoding acceleration works now!
Additionally I replaced the Graphics section to only say Inject->Intel->true without the id-platform-id.

This guide does not use Clover injection for graphics. All graphics related property injection is done via SSDT-IGPU.aml.

This guide does not use Clover injection for graphics. All graphics related property injection is done via SSDT-IGPU.aml.

Thanks for the clarification. I reset the Graphics section to your provided config.plist and it also works with video decoding acceleration. Although it is showing the GPU as a "HD 6100" everything works (video decode, gpu clocking etc.).

Maybe change the "should" to a more imperative form in the first post. I assumed it was only for apple update and such.

Although it is showing the GPU as a "HD 6100" everything works (video decode, gpu clocking etc.).

Cosmetic only. The kext (Apple provided) is not so smart about setting "model" in ioreg as corresponds to the device-id.
I could add the code to SSDT-IGPU, but would need to see your "Problem Reporting" files as per post #1.

Cosmetic only. The kext (Apple provided) is not so smart about setting "model" in ioreg as corresponds to the device-id.
I could add the code to SSDT-IGPU, but would need to see your "Problem Reporting" files as per post #1.

(Coming from ammulder's thread/guide, have had gfx problems on a system that previously worked)

Which means that Iris 6100 in NUC5i7RYH's is not handled (I don't see an entry there) ?

I will try first a Linux install to verify that my NUC works and it's not a hardware problem. Then I will try your guide again; didn't work 1st time, it's a bit confusing at places since it refers to another guide (i.e. "post #2"), or I am not having enough coffee. Anyway, the distortion/artifacts are so severe once 10.11.5 is booted (with either ammulder's or RehabMan's way) that I can't make my way through it (keeps quitting to login screen after 20secs or seemingly whenever programs with GUI try to run). I can only work if I failsafely drop SSDTs or disable Clover injection so that IGPU driver is not registering.

Is there a way to get ioreg dump from terminal ?

NUC BIOS: 358 (latest, played with IGD Minimum Memory 64MB and 128MB, IGD Aperture Size=256MB)
Clover: 3726 (latest release)
SMBIOS: MacBookAir6,2 worked in the past, now nothing works (trying with iMac16,1, MacBookAir7.2, etc)
Kexts: nothing special, I prefer AppleIntelE1000e.kext, had problems with IntelMausiEthernet.kext in other systems when transfering big files in LAN, HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_5.kext, FakeSMC.kext (either from 6.21.1412 from hwsensors.com, or latest from RehabMan), I prefer EFI/CLOVER/kexts to /Library/extensions
MacOSX: 10.11.5 at an external USB disk (my Apple installer defaults to this, my previously working system is updated to 10.11.6 at an internal NVME SSD)
Connection: MiniHDMI to HDMI cable to a 4K TV (I use 1080P, have tried other resolutions as well)

When I have time I will try to make a proper problem report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back