1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Note
Check your hardware configuration and make sure it matches the one listed below for this guide to work. Wifi and Bluetooth used in this build works natively thanks to the "modern wifi models" function found in the
"Post-Instal Root Patch" option of Opencore Legacy Patcher, which is not used for anything else in this guide.

Hardware
WiFi card and adapters details:
card.png

Bios Settings

Settings
|-- Security
|-- Secure Boot
|-- Secure Boot: Disabled

Search
|-- D.T.M
|-- D.T.M: Enabled

What works?
  • BCM94360CS2 card, bluetooth and WiFi: Yes
  • Onboard Ethernet RealtekRTL8111: Yes
  • GPU RX 480 all ports and acceleration: Yes
  • Shutdown: Yes
  • Restart: Yes
  • Sleep: Yes
  • Onboard audio, line out and digital out, line in and mic in: Yes
  • USB ports, all of them: Yes
Installation
  1. Download the latest release of the OpenCore Legacy Patcher (only for Post-Install Root Patch)
  2. Create your own drive as a bootable macOS Sonoma installer
  3. Now mount the EFI partition of your instal drive and make sure it is empty
  4. Download my EFI project's latest release HERE and unzip the archive, this will give you a single folder named EFI
  5. Copy the EFI folder to the root of your instal drive EFI partition
  6. Download OpenCore Configurator to edit the file config.plist
    Under PlattformInfo, select the DataHub - Generic - PlattformNVRAM. Select MacPro7,1 this will populate several fields required for the boot to work properly.
  7. Save your config.plist
  8. Boot the PC from the newly create EFI partition.
  9. Install Sonoma.
  10. After the installation, you can copy the content of your install drive EFI to your main drive EFI.
  11. At first boot, open OpenCore Legacy patcher and run "Post-Instal Root Patch", this will instal additional login item that will enable any natively supported wifi card to work in Sonoma, like the BCM94360CS2.
The process
I followed Doratian's Opencore guide to the letter and it took me a short while to finetune it all. No major challenges overall. While in Opencore there is not explicit support for Alder Lake, I was able to adapt to the guide to my build from the most recent Gen Intel CPU. There are a few steps I took to get the legacy wifi and bluetooth to work which include 2 kext (IO80211FamilyLegacy and OSkywalkFamily) and blocking OSkywalkFamily above kernel version 23.0.0, something I learnt HERE from miliuco...Thank you. The onboard LAN came to life thanks to the RealtekRTL8111 kext. My repository includes the RadeonGadget app that in combination with the RadeonSensor kext allows you to read the GPU temp from the menubar, simply add it to your login items. I was not overly happy with the RX 480 fan management with fuzzy logic from the original BIOS so I edited it in Windows. To do so I used two windows apps; PolarisBiosEditor and AMDVBFlash. The process is rather simple. You download and backup the original BIOS rom. Make a copy and open it in PolarisBiosEditor, change target temp from 40C to 35C and change min fan speed from 20% to 10%. Change Legacy / Fuzzy Logic from 1 to 0. Save the file, use AMDVBFlash to upload the file into your GPU.

I plan to update the repository and periodically upload new releases as new/better options are identified. So far all runs well at Ver 1.0

System info
info2.png

Geekbench results
001.png

002.png

003.png

005.png

006.png

I hope this helps others!

Last edited:
This would make a very capable "budget" build for Sonoma. $320 for core components.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Hi can i use your efi
like recovery mod for installing Sonoma?

Back