Contribute
Register

[Guide] Installing macOS Mojave (10.14.2) on Intel NUCi5BEH using Clover UEFI + updating to Mojave (10.14.6) on post#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same problem with Safari and quicktime player. but it works fine with Chrome and VLC...
That is a documented issue, check other forums or google for insight

Hello all, I'm new here. I've used the various posts here and managed to successfully install 10.14.6 onto my NUC8i5BEK. It is running BIOS 71, I upgraded the firmware on the Samsung EVO 970 plus, and also had to place my single 16GB DIMM into a specific slot. So far so good.
Now that the unit is running I have a few snags. The display I'm using is an LG 27UD88, which according to the specs is 4K 3840 x 2160 (DisplayPort: 60 Hz, HDMI: 60 Hz).
My Macbook pro connects through USB-C to that and it drives it at full resolution at 60 fps (and also get its power over that).
The NUC is connected to the display with HDMI, but although I appear to get the full resolution, I am only getting 30fps (or so I guess, by the looks of it when I drag windows across the screen). The display overview says this as well:

View attachment 421078

Does anyone have this issue and maybe knows how to address it?
Also, I was hoping that the NUC, like the macbook pro, would be able to use the USB-C connection to everything (video, usb, power). Would that ever work?

thx

Hi, check the following and report back:

Go to system preferences
Go to displays
Under display select "scaled"
hold option (whatever you have it mapped to, for me it was the windows key)
click "scaled" again while holding down option.
select 1080p and select 60hz from the refresh rate option.

Also the USB-C connector should function as Thunderbolt if configured correctly in the bios so yes to your last question (set Thunderbolt to Legacy Mode).

Yes but the wire provided (which is the same I have) comes with this connector (I'm referring to the black one. The white one connects to the adapter card). This is incompatible with what you find inside the NUC. This is why @GoingDark was looking into having the correct wire custom made in China. So, I'm still looking for solutions to connect this here : https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/monthly_12_2018/post-217679-0-63978700-1546295206.jpg

Wire.png

Last edited:
Yes but the wire provided (which is the same I have) comes with this connector (I'm referring to the black one. The white one connects to the adapter card). This is incompatible with what you find inside the NUC. This is why @GoingDark was looking into having the correct wire custom made in China. So, I'm still looking for solutions to connect this here : https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/monthly_12_2018/post-217679-0-63978700-1546295206.jpg

View attachment 421283
My bad, thought the black connector was compatible. There are several users that have made it work, there are some deleted posts in the other thread because of some user issue. (Sakuri) His Github Page is below, looks like he bought the separate connectors and made his own cable. If you know how to solder its pretty easy...

Last edited:
Check your EFI folder again and make sure the necessary drivers are in place, same for kexts and make sure they are not duplicated in kexts/other and or L/E. Kexts should work in either location but in both can cause the issue you are reporting. If that doesn’t solve it try updating clover but make sure again that necessary drivers are being installed or updated and report back please.

Sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation. I replaced my EFI folder with the files from the post #430 and it is working again.

Thanks!

No problems with the install but wondering if anyone has gotten filevault to work ?

Hi, check the following and report back:

Go to system preferences
Go to displays
Under display select "scaled"
hold option (whatever you have it mapped to, for me it was the windows key)
click "scaled" again while holding down option.
select 1080p and select 60hz from the refresh rate option.

Also the USB-C connector should function as Thunderbolt if configured correctly in the bios so yes to your last question (set Thunderbolt to Legacy Mode).

As soon as I connected the unit with the USB-C cable everything magically started to work. Display is flawless, running smoothly 4k@60Hz. All the USB peripherals work through that cable as well, which makes for a very tidy set-up as all the cruft is now connected to the USB hub(s) at the back of the display. Obviously it does also still need a power cable:

IMG_4038.jpg

thx :)

Has anyone been able to get the optical audio working? I have regular analog audio working, but not sure if getting the optical working is possible?

Has anyone been able to get the optical audio working? I have regular analog audio working, but not sure if getting the optical working is possible?
Through HDMI you mean? What kexts are you loading?

Through HDMI you mean? What kexts are you loading?
Not through HDMI - through optical TOSLINK. It's built into the headphone jack. Actually- I just researched it a bit and it doesn't appear to have optical audio. For some reason I thought these NUCs did. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back