Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Yosemite 10.10.2 on the Asus Q550LF using Clover (Work-in-Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
[Guide] Install Yosemite 10.10.5 on the Asus Q550LF using Clover (Work-in-Progress) (10.11 EL CAPITAN Update Safe!) :)

Hey guys! I'm back with another guide on how you can get your Asus Q550LF booting with Clover (and with Graphics Acceleration! :D) As you can see, this installation doesn't use DSDT (only because I'm still trying to patch mine).

----UPDATE----
23 April 2015 - I've just updated to 10.10.3... It's update safe! Go ahead and update it! No problems so far :D
----UPDATE----
02 October 2015 - Just updated to 10.11 El Capitan. It is safe and good to go, no problems so far, (though I did get my hopes up for the dual graphics... that still doesn't work)
Check this link out if you want to upgrade! Gosh, I love Clover. :D
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...rect-update-os-x-el-capitan-using-clover.html
--Mini Update--
02 October 2015 - It looks like NullCPUPowerManagement might not be working correctly. Everything else works, but now, the battery will constantly show that it's low on energy. But don't worry! It shouldn't affect anything (none that I have noticed) You'll just get an annoying notification that warns you that your battery is low.

Let's Get Started

What you will need:

An Existing Mac or Hackintosh
BIOS Settings at: CSM:Enabled ; Intel Graphics DVMT: 512
Latest Unibeast Installer with 10.10.2
Latest Clover Installer (r3156 is what I used)
Kexts from this post
Config.plist (if you choose to use mine)
Clover Configurator
Latest Multibeast (7.2 was available at the time of this post)
Kext Wizard
Some brains
and a dash of patience

OPTIONAL
USB Wifi Adapter
USB Wifi Adapter kexts

1. If you already have a Unibeast installer made, then perfect. If not, head on over to the guide for installing Unibeast with 10.10.2 on a USB drive. Just use Clover Configurator to mount the Installer's EFI Partition and use the Clover installer with the following settings
-Install for UEFI booting only
-Install Clover in ESP
-Themes --> (What ever you want)
-Drivers64 UEFI --> OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
-Install RC scripts on target volume
-Install Clover preference pane

IMPORTANT: After it's done installing, COPY THE CLOVER INSTALLER AND CONFIGURATOR TO YOUR USB (NOT EFI).

2. Put all the kexts included in this post to the USB installer's EFI->Clover->kexts->10.10 and then drag the config.plist (also included in this post) to EFI->Clover.

3. By now, you should have a working Clover Yosemite Installer. Now Reboot to your USB Installer and install like normal (When formatting the hard drive, make sure the format is GPT, not MBR.

4. Once it's done installing, You can now reboot to your System Hard Drive using your USB and complete the Welcome Setup. If you are using stock Intel WIFI, you will not have WIFI. You should be able to plug in to your Ethernet though as I've Included Maezi's RealtekRTL8111.kext.
Note: If you don't have USB ports working, plug into to the ethernet and download Multibeast. From there, install the USB 3.0 driver and reboot.​

5. Once you get to your desktop, open up Clover Configurator and mount your USB's EFI partition. Copy the 10.10 folder and the config.plist and just paste it on the desk top for now. Go back to the Clover Configurator and now Mount your HDD's EFI partition. From here you need to install Clover WITH THE EXACT SAME SETTINGS as before. After that's done installing, Copy the contents of the 10.10 folder and the config.plist to their respective spots in the your system HDD EFI. You now should have a bootable Asus Q550LF. :)
Note: Open up Clover Configurator and find your config.plist. Double click on it and edit the SMBIOS. The recommended SMBIOS for the Asus Q550LF is the Macbook Pro 11,2 since it's a Haswell i7, incidentally like ours. Make sure you click "Shake" on the Week and Unit number too!​

RECOMMENDATION: USE Kext Wizard and install ACPIBatteryManager, FakeSMC, FakePCIID, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_4400_Intel_HD_4600, and RealtekRTL8111 to S/L/E. :p.

Also, if you are getting distortions on your screen, you can change the ig-platform-id in Clover Configurator to 0x0d220003 or 0x0c260000 (The latter worked for me).

Recommended SMBIOS: Macbook Pro 11,2

What should work and what doesn't:
nVidia GeForce GT 745M: Nope (Registers as nVidia PCie but the vram is showing up as 0mb)
Intel HD 4400: Yes (Menu bar is a little bit distorted. Feel free to Google "Intel HD 4400 fakepciid" and you should come upon another post in tonymacx86.)
Multidrive: IDK. I don't have one since I converted that slot to a hard drive for my 1TB Microshaft/Linux. (But it should work OOB)
Touchpad: Yes (Including Multi-gesture)
Touchscreen: Yes
Camera: Yes
USB 3.0: Yes
Ethernet: Yes
Intel Wifi: LOL Nope. Never gonna happen
HDMI: Works great (Mirror and extended desktop)
HDMI Sound: No. If you try to use HDMI sound, VoodooSound is going to go "haywire" and your gonna require a complete reboot after you reset your settings back to speaker (as in shut down, then press the power button)
Graphics Acceleration: Yes
1080p: Yes
Edimax Nano USB Wifi Adapter: Yes
Battery Status: No (Needs a patched DSDT and my DSDT is corrupted :| )
Dell DW1510 b/g/n: OOB
Card Reader: No (Idk where I can find the drivers for it)
Asus SonicBoom Subwoofer (Mine came with one in the box when I bought my laptop at the Navy Exchange): Unknown (Mine broke during my last deployment :( so someone let me know! )

Bugs:
-No automatic switching between sound modes (as in from speaker to headphones) and HDMI sound doesn't work and will require you to reset your settings back to speaker or headphones and a full shut down and reboot.
-Sometimes the keyboard and/or touchpad kext will not load properly and will require you to do a hard reboot.

Credits:
Rehabman for the battery manager and FakePCIID kexts
Maezi for the RealtekRTL8111 kext
A bunch of others whom I don't know
My boyfriend for dealing with me while I stay up until 5AM messing with my laptops.

Attachments

• ASUS Q550LF KEXT CLOVER 2.zip
    628.3 KB · Views: 833
Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm back with another guide on how you can get your Asus Q550LF booting with Clover (and with Graphics Acceleration! :D) As you can see, this installation doesn't use DSDT (only because I'm still trying to patch mine).

Let's Get Started

What you will need:

A Unibeast Installer with 10.10.2
A Clover Installer (r3156 is what I used)
Kexts from this post
Clover Configurator
Multibeast 7.2
Kext wizard
Some brains
and a dash of patience

1. If you already have a Unibeast installer made, then perfect. Just use Clover Configurator to mount the Installer's EFI Partition and use the Clover installer with the following settings
-Install Clover in ESP

IMPORTANT: After it's done installing, COPY THE CLOVER INSTALLER AND CONFIGURATOR TO YOUR USB (NOT EFI).

2. Put all the kexts included in this post to the USB installer's EFI->Clover->kexts->10.10 and then drag the config.plist (also included in this post) to EFI->Clover.

3. By now, you should have a working Clover Yosemite Installer. Now Reboot to your USB Installer and install like normal (When formatting the hard drive, make sure the format is GPT, not MBR.

4. Once it's done installing, You can now reboot to your System Hard Drive using your USB and complete the Welcome Setup. If you are using stock Intel WIFI, you will not have WIFI. You should be able to plug in to your Ethernet though as I've Included Maezi's RealtekRTL8111.kext.

Note: If you don't have USB ports working, plug into to the ethernet and download Multibeast. From there, install the USB 3.0 driver and reboot.​

5. Once you get to your desktop, open up Clover Configurator and mount your USB's EFI partition. Copy the 10.10 folder and the config.plist and just paste it on the desk top for now. Go back to the Clover Configurator and now Mount your HDD's EFI partition. From here you need to install Clover WITH THE EXACT SAME SETTINGS as before. After that's done installing, Copy the contents of the 10.10 folder and the config.plist to their respective spots in the your system HDD EFI. You now should have a bootable Asus Q550LF. :)

RECOMMENDATION: USE Kext Wizard and install ACPIBatteryManager, FakeSMC, Nullcpupowermanagement, and RealtekRTL8111 to S/L/E. :p.

nVidia GeForce 745M: Nope
Intel HD 4400: Yes (Menu bar is a little bit distorted. Feel free to Google "Intel HD 4400 fakepciid" and you should come upon another post in tonymacx86.
Multidrive: IDK. I don't one since I'm using that slot for my 1TB Microshaft/Linux.
Touchpad: Yes
Camera: Yes (according to System profiler)

Credits:
Rehabman for the battery manager kext
My boyfriend for dealing with me while I stay up until 5AM messing with my laptops.

Notes:

- you don't need NullCPUPowerManagement with Clover
- you might want to think twice about including your serial# in the provided config.plist

Notes:

- you don't need NullCPUPowerManagement with Clover
- you might want to think twice about including your serial# in the provided config.plist

Oh crap. Thanks :)

Thanks for a great guide.:thumbup:
What you did with the audio?

Let's Get Started

What you will need:

A Unibeast Installer with 10.10.2
A Clover Installer (r3156 is what I used)
Kexts from this post
Clover Configurator
Multibeast 7.2
Kext wizard
Some brains
and a dash of patience

OPTIONAL
USB Wifi Adapter
USB Wifi Adapter kexts

1. If you already have a Unibeast installer made, then perfect. Just use Clover Configurator to mount the Installer's EFI Partition and use the Clover installer with the following settings
-Install Clover in ESP

Note: Open up Clover Configurator and find your config.plist. Double click on it and edit the SMBIOS. The recommended SMBIOS for the Asus Q550LF is the Macbook Pro 11,2 since it's a Haswell i7, incidentally like ours. Make sure you click "Shake" on the Week and Unit number too!​

RECOMMENDATION: USE Kext Wizard and install ACPIBatteryManager, FakeSMC, FakePCIID, FakePCIID_Intel_HD_4400_Intel_HD_4600, and RealtekRTL8111 to S/L/E. :p.

Also, if you are getting distortions on your screen, you can change the ig-platform-id in Clover Configurator to 0x0d220003 or 0x0c260000 (The latter worked for me).

Recommended SMBIOS: Macbook Pro 11,2

nVidia GeForce GT 745M: Nope
Intel HD 4400: Yes (Menu bar is a little bit distorted. Feel free to Google "Intel HD 4400 fakepciid" and you should come upon another post in tonymacx86.)
Multidrive: IDK. I don't have one since I converted that slot to a hard drive for my 1TB Microshaft/Linux.
Touchpad: Yes (Including Multi-gesture)
Camera: Yes (according to System Info)
HDMI: Unknown
HDMI Sound: Yes (shows up on System Info)
Graphics Acceleration: Yes
1080p: Yes
Edimax Nano USB Wifi Adapter: Yes
Battery Status: No (Needs a patched DSDT)

Credits:
Rehabman for the battery manager and FakePCIID kexts

Hi, i like this guide and will try it on my HP Envy that i have installed 10.10 and 10.10.2 in another partition, will report back
BTW: for what for is FakePCIID_Intel_HD_4400_Intel_HD_4600 ?
Thank you :D

Hi, i like this guide and will try it on my HP Envy that i have installed 10.10 and 10.10.2 in another partition, will report back

This is a guide specific to the laptop mentioned in post #1.

For generic guide, see here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

You may also find the patches here useful: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

BTW: for what for is FakePCIID_Intel_HD_4400_Intel_HD_4600 ?
Thank you :D

It is covered here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.html

Thanks for a great guide.:thumbup:
What you did with the audio?

Whoops. Sorry, forgot to include that I also used Voodoo Sound v 2.8.7. That's the one that worked. The only problem is, is that the sound doesn't automatically switch when 3.5mm jack is plugged in. You'll have to do it manually.

OP updated. 10.10.3 update proof! Go on ahead and hit that update!

Hi,

I have the exact same laptop that I purchased from Best Buy. I got the HDMI sound to work with video but I am unable to get the stock Speakers to work with VoodooHDA 2.8.7 like you stated. How did you install it? I need details such as under the Config.plist (opened with Clover Configurator of course)...what channel did you set the audio drop down tab to? I set it to 12 for HDMI audio to work with the AppleHDA.kext. Also, I didn't check the tickers for AFGLowPowerState or ResetHDA.

I have AppleHDA.kext inside the EFI (bootable SSD) > EFI > Clover > kexts > 10.10.

Did you put VoodooHDA 2.8.7 into the 10.10 folder on bootable EFI or did you just install it with Kext Wizard?

**Also, can I get a link to a raw downloadable kext file of the VoodooHDA 2.8.7 (all I can find are package versions in Multibeast)**

Finally, this last question is for anyone who visits this post that is aware of a noobish friendly DSDT patching how to guide. I'd like to learn how to patch the DSDT to make the function keys on keyboard work to adjust brightness, volume, etc AND properly configure the Battery Status with Percentage working in real-time.

Much appreciated for your guide and thank you for any further help beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back