Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something obvious when trying to get an NVMe recognised on one of the PCIe slots on the 9010MT?

I'm not trying to boot from it (yet), simply to clone data onto a 1tb Adata SX6000 to add to another machine, yet the Mojave system doesn't even see the adaptor card or ssd.
Bios is presently on A30 and apart from this everything else is running just fine.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in this epic thread yet Iv'e somehow never managed to get the search 'this thread' to work (tips on that too if possible)....

Also thanks for the great thread here keeping this tidy little workhorse machine going strong.

Am I missing something obvious when trying to get an NVMe recognised on one of the PCIe slots on the 9010MT?

I'm not trying to boot from it (yet), simply to clone data onto a 1tb Adata SX6000 to add to another machine, yet the Mojave system doesn't even see the adaptor card or ssd.
Bios is presently on A30 and apart from this everything else is running just fine.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in this epic thread yet Iv'e somehow never managed to get the search 'this thread' to work (tips on that too if possible)....

Also thanks for the great thread here keeping this tidy little workhorse machine going strong.
Search NVMe driver or NVMe kext. I can't recall, but I know I searched for it. I think I needed to install a driver, or I used the clover configurator app to install the driver and then copied everything over. As far as I know, when you get there, unless your BIOS supports booting from NVMe (the 9010 does not), you'll have to have a SATA drive with your efi on it and then select the ios NVMe from the menu to boot (i made sure it was set to auto boot the last OS used).

I have been rather distracted yet am back to this one now, and cannot reporting success with this yes. I have installed https://github.com/acidanthera/NVMeFix, and have tried a couple of different adaptors for my adata module, yet it is simply never seen. I have been running the same module in a 2017 MacBook Pro so we know the ssd is working... I'm still guessing it's something simple rather than my specific build, yet if needed I will upload complete system report.

thanks all

I have been rather distracted yet am back to this one now, and cannot reporting success with this yes. I have installed https://github.com/acidanthera/NVMeFix, and have tried a couple of different adaptors for my adata module, yet it is simply never seen. I have been running the same module in a 2017 MacBook Pro so we know the ssd is working... I'm still guessing it's something simple rather than my specific build, yet if needed I will upload complete system report.

thanks all
Is that an actual NVMe or is it apples proprietary M.2? If it's apples you'll need an adaptor. Also, is your M.2 a SATA or NVMe, some times adaptors will read a SATA, but not an NVMe. Just trying to cover the bases, just in case, I don't know if you're already aware of those differences.

I use clover configurator, I couldn't remember before, to add the NVMe driver. Mount your EFI and then go to "drivers" on the left side bar of clover configurator, on the screen make sure your efi partition is selected in the top right drop menu. The in the lower box, find the NVMe driver, I'm not in front of it, so I can't remember the exact name, there's a bubble to the right of each item that is green if the driver isn't installed, if it's not green select it and install.

I don't know what the fix was you used from github, not familiar with it, you may want to undo that if you can first, make sure there isn't a conflict.

thanks for all that
it's a Adata XPG SX6000 Pro M.2-2280 1TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe and I have a couple of different adaptors to try.
you were right in that the NVMe driver wasn't green although there was a much older version installed, yet with a - in the name, so I removed the old one and installed the most to to date version........ yet nothing still.... I was in a rush this evening for other things so I didn't remove acidanthera's `NMVe fix yet (in theory this only kicks in if actually needed) but shall do so tomorrow.

ta very
w

thanks for all that
it's a Adata XPG SX6000 Pro M.2-2280 1TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe and I have a couple of different adaptors to try.
you were right in that the NVMe driver wasn't green although there was a much older version installed, yet with a - in the name, so I removed the old one and installed the most to to date version........ yet nothing still.... I was in a rush this evening for other things so I didn't remove acidanthera's `NMVe fix yet (in theory this only kicks in if actually needed) but shall do so tomorrow.

ta very
w
You might try to set up a fresh install usb drive from scratch with one of the guides, and make sure the NVMe driver is installed on that usb efi then boot from it and see if it works...

I'm on it and shall report back... hectic days
thanks for the tips

So as per your suggestion I went for a fresh Mojave install onto a Sata ssd using the appropriate files from page 1, got the system up and running, plugged the adata SX6000 in one of the adaptors and still nothing.... sigh.

So just in case, I updated the drivers, although that was problematic too as clover wouldn't write to the driver folder, yet clover managed to write new kexts to the correct 'other' folder? (ifoundafewthreads on this issue yet no solutions).
I used the two kext apps to update the kexts (removing them from the other folder), sorted the cache with Kext Utility but still no Adata XPG SX6000 Pro M.2-2280 1TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe showing up anywhere (at least the Nvme adaptor's led works).
stumped for now !!

Last edited:
stumped for now !!
attached is the driver I use, this works with my cheap off amazon PCIe to NVMe adaptors and my Sabrent and Patriot NVMe ssd's. the path is CLOVER>drivers>UEFI that's where you need the driver if you didn't have it there already.

Sorry it's not working, wish I had more ideas for you.

Attachments

• NvmExpressDxe.efi
    24.6 KB · Views: 87
attached is the driver I use, this works with my cheap off amazon PCIe to NVMe adaptors and my Sabrent and Patriot NVMe ssd's. the path is CLOVER>drivers>UEFI that's where you need the driver if you didn't have it there already.

Sorry it's not working, wish I had more ideas for you.
very kind and I think I just need to find the time to strip it and start again, yet this is happening along with real Mac meltdown having bought a used tatty 2017 MacBook Pro which has turned out to be a water damaged dog with an unusable keyboard and is going back (via apple store who spotted the water damage when supposedly replacing the keyboard which they didn't).
Switching from copious Sata drives to a tiny apple ssd then a much larger Nvme via an adaptor many dozens of times now has left my head spinning and when I send the dog Mac back the dell-o-mac will be main machine for a while till I get an M1 Air... So strange new world all round.
thanks again and I shall let you know when I get this working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back