Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that situation I would simply buy the RX 570 mini version. There are special Sata cables that work but they cost over 9 dollars each. They are the CP11 cables by Silverstone. Kind of negates the savings on graphics. You'd likely need 3 of them to make it work for you. See the link below for more on this.
These CP11 cables are only 11.81 inches long so I don't even know if they'd reach the optical drive bays or not.
The newegg deal is pretty nice. Includes a $10 promo code bringing price down to $129 (+tax, free shipping). So 2 DP, 2 HDMI, 1 DVI vs 1 of each on the ITX version. Almost want to buy it and build a hack around it with a mobo/case that doesn't have the Sata port block issue? Is that crazy?

Almost want to buy it and build a hack around it with a mobo/case that doesn't have the Sata port block issue? Is that crazy?
If you get the Silverstone cables you can still use the full length RX570 just ask @craighazan he's using a 580 which is even longer than that 570.

Hi randompurplehippo, hi trs96. trs96 is right, I created a fusion drive with a Kingspec 128 GB M.2 NVMe drive and a WD 500 GB HDD. After reading this thread, Super-cheap NVMe fusion drive using Dell 7010 Q77 motherboard, (my post with screenshots are on page 3). But I couldn't successfully install Mojave on the fusion drive. But I did get Mojave to boot from the NVMe drive, before fusion, like you said.

After reading this guide, [Guide] How to install High Sierra on a Fusion Drive. I probably should of stuck to installing High Sierra. Am I right in thinking that Apple stopped support for Fusion drives in Mojave, because of problems with the APFS file format.
@craighazan I didn't know how to PM you directly, so I'll ask it here and someone can teach me.... trs96 pointed out that you have a 580 in your 7010... I am interested in putting in the full size 570 Pulse to my 9010 MT. Can you tell me, beyond the Silverstone cables, how well it fits? Does it bump up against the USB 3.0 connector? Do I need 4 lateral sata cables? Any help is appreciated.

If you get the Silverstone cables you can still use the full length RX570 just ask @craighazan he's using a 580 which is even longer than that 570.
What about the HP Compaq Elite 8300 ?? I see one for $110 on ebay.

@craighazan I didn't know how to PM you directly, so I'll ask it here and someone can teach me.... trs96 pointed out that you have a 580 in your 7010... I am interested in putting in the full size 570 Pulse to my 9010 MT. Can you tell me, beyond the Silverstone cables, how well it fits? Does it bump up against the USB 3.0 connector? Do I need 4 lateral sata cables? Any help is appreciated.

Hi BillyGoatGruff. I have to say it fits really well, I was really surprised. Do you mean the front USB 3 Connection?, I think there's enough room between the graphic card and the motherboard to fit the front USB slot. The RAM clips are immediately below the graphics card. I take care when putting in the graphics card because I can unclip the RAM, but the clips don't touch the card. Notice I'm not using the PCI slot, (White) as it covers part of the fan on the graphics card. But apart from that everything fits great. I've had this 7010 up and running for a couple of weeks now and it's perfect. Hope that helps!, you can see more pictures of my BlueG5 build using the Dell 7010 motherboard here.

I have a HP6300pro MT, I couldn’t fit the RX580 in there because the CPU cooler is in the way. I’m not sure of the layout on an 8300.

The only one it would fit in is the 8300 MT. The problem with that is the proprietary PSU. Harder to switch that out for one of your own more powerful versions. There are 24 to 6 pin adapters but the quality of those is less than desirable. One person reported damaging their mobo using one. All the ones I've seen are made in China and low quality wiring is used.

I've never owned an 8300 MT because I don't want that massively large case it's in. Here's one thing you could try with it.
Put a 2nd, smallish 300-400W PSU in the lower front of the case (SFX would be perfect) and run the power cord out the back through a PCIe slot cover opening. I'm sure there should be enough room for one. Connect up the 8 pin power to the RX570 and you've got way more power than you'll need for the card. Obviously best to go modular here if possible.
Again, I haven't tried this it would be experimental. Probably worth trying out.

Last edited:
There is also this great Seasonic S12III 500W 80+ PSU deal AR right now. For about $28 shipped will work great in the Dell MT. It also stops the fan when the PSU is under 30% load. Totally quiet.

Cables are all nicely sleeved and all black. You won't find quality like this in any other sub 30 dollar PSU.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151226

17-151-226_R01.jpg

This guide, and this thread, is hands down the best I've come across. I started out being inspired to do my first ever Hackintosh from the Snazzy Labs Youtube video for the NUC8. I followed the links to Rehabman's guide, and boy that was a tough one to get going. I almost gave up. But with perseverance and lots of reading, I made it. THEN... I looked up ready built and found trs96's guide! Maybe I wouldn't have appreciated just how clearly written this is if I had not struggled first! Just kidding.
In any case, thought I would share that... and this....
I received my eBay purchased 9010 i7 3770S USFF with 8GB RAM, and got it up and running in less than an hour, including cleaning, thanks to this great guide.
I picked it up for $146.26 including shipping, added a Samsung 860 EVO 250gb for another $58 from Amazon, and WiFI+BT (BCM94360HMB/Azurewave AW-CB160H) again from eBay for $36. Finally, I added a pair of antennas (with 13.78in/35cm leads) to the back of the case (needs 1/4" drill bit) for $10. So $250.26 all in; maybe a bit on the high side of budget rig but I really like the form factor and everything working.
Here's some photos of the wifi+bt and wiring/antennas.

Attachments

• IMG_9516.jpeg
    IMG_9516.jpeg
    654.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_9518.jpeg
    IMG_9518.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9519.jpeg
    IMG_9519.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_9521.jpeg
    IMG_9521.jpeg
    638.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_9523.jpeg
    IMG_9523.jpeg
    717.1 KB · Views: 162
This guide, and this thread, is hands down the best I've come across. I started out being inspired to do my first ever Hackintosh from the Snazzy Labs Youtube video for the NUC8. I followed the links to Rehabman's guide, and boy that was a tough one to get going. I almost gave up.
I've watched that Snazzy Labs YT video by Quinn and the first thought I had when I finished it was, "He is really making this sound way more simple to implement than it really is." Why is that ? Because he's describing it only from his perspective of someone with many years of previous experience. Also, he provides no support to the people that are attempting to hackintosh a NUC. That's why he can get away with that. The reason he makes videos is to get views for his YT channel. He could offer support or make a video guide, but it would take up all of his time and he couldn't do anything else.

I would never suggest a beginner start out with a NUC. It's not a bad thing that you did, you learned a lot. This guide is written for beginners with every step clearly detailed so that they don't have failure and frustration as a first hackintosh experience. So from your response I can surmise that I've been successful in what I set out to do. The best part is that here you don't have to look at or listen to any in guide ads that are completely annoying. (As with YT videos)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back