Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install High Sierra or Mojave on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC - Revision II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your instruction, trs96. I got a
9010 with i7 3770, and tried to install mojava on it. Everything went well except that it always stopped at the loading step when I tried to reboot. However, if I inserted the booting usb, everything went well again. Do you have any clues of it?

"ssdt.aml", what folder path should i paste it?
it goes on the EFI partition of the boot drive in the folder /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched - but look at the instructions as there are two methods shown of correctly setting your cpu and there are settings to add or remove in config.plist to go with each of the methods.

Hi, whats the fan symbol next to vol in your image of top bar?
It's for "Macs Fan Control" I use it on one of my Gigabyte based systems not the Dell or HP.

I noticed that the UniBeast 9.10 updated Clover to v2.4k r4862, and in your instruction it recommended that we should use Clover v2.4k r4701. So I could see two different clover booting screens when I tried to boot with or without the booting USB. Is this the reason why I can't boot mojava after ejecting the USB? What should I do now? Please
Thanks for your instruction, trs96. I got a 9010 with i7 3770, and tried to install mojava on it. Everything went well except that it always stopped at the loading step when I tried to reboot. However, if I inserted the booting usb, everything went well again. Do you have any clues of it?

@PhoenixBack There is some times an issue with reinstalling clover (dependent on versions) where some of the drivers in one version dont get added by default in another version of clover.

My advice is to reinstall the current version on your hard drive.
To do this;
  1. make a copy of your current config.plist - just in case
  2. go thru the install process and check
a. you are installing on the right drive and
b. your screens look like the instructions on this thread AND
c. check that the uefi drivers section looks like image below

Attachments

• UEFI Drivers.png
    UEFI Drivers.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
@PhoenixBack There is some times an issue with reinstalling clover (dependent on versions) where some of the drivers in one version dont get added by default in another version of clover.

My advice is to reinstall the current version on your hard drive.
To do this;
  1. make a copy of your current config.plist - just in case
  2. go thru the install process and check
a. you are installing on the right drive and
b. your screens look like the instructions on this thread AND
c. check that the uefi drivers section looks like image below

Thank you, I'll try it.

Hi guys, just let you know I made it. Thanks. I just replaced the whole EFI folder of hard disk with the EFI folder of USB. Then it worked.

WOO HOO!!!!!

Swapped out the 250GB HDD with a 500GB SSD last night, reloaded everything. Still gotta do steps 4-7 in the guide....but everything is working so far. Super fast too.

I will need to figure out how to do TRIM and OVER-PROVISIONING on the MAC with the SSD.

Grizz

trs96,

MAYBE something for your Guide?

I have been doing some research on the TRIM feature when SSDs are installed in a MAC. I decided to give it a try, as I know my SAMSUNG EVO 850 supports this. I found this article the most compelling.

Mac OS X 10.10.4 Supports TRIM for Third-Party SSD Hard Drives

I performed these steps on my Optiplex 7010 with the Samsung EVO 850 installed, and it was like night and day difference in boot up and other HDD activities. I need to find a good HDD benchmarking test. Would be neat to turn it back OFF - test, then Enable TRIM and re-test.

Just thought I would put this out there for you.

I also want to look into SSD Over-Provisioning in OS X.

Grizz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back