Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Hello, I'm stuck at "Select UEFI: "name of usb drive". I'm not getting that option and I followed everything exactly as the first and second video has shown.
I have a dell optiplex 9010 with I7 and HD4000
I upgraded the bios to A30
I changed all the BIOS settings as per the video.
I created the USB per the video.

I'm sorry if this already been answered on this thread but it is a long thread and I couldn't find if it is already been answered.

EDIT: I solved this by redoing the USB. I think I might have messed something up the first time

Last edited:
Something strange is happening.
The build is stable, but is really slow to respond.
I write here and the text appears on the box after 3-4s.

Nothing unusual in the CPU - Activity Monitor.

80% of resources free, but from time to times trustd is using 100%

I have dual boot, with Windows and it works great.

Later edit:

It seems that this fixed the problem:

sudo rm /Library/Keychains/crls/*

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 11.50.59.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 11.50.59.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
The command in post #362 will work. Or below will work too to solve trustD problem:

1)Drag or put the files (valid.sqlite3) referenced in the attachment below into the trash.

2)wait for the files to re-appear and then restart your machine

The problem should be solved.

Here is the full article:

macrumors thread:

Attachments

• 1644B81F-8D69-4760-895A-DD808CC88F51.jpeg
    1644B81F-8D69-4760-895A-DD808CC88F51.jpeg
    567.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I think that it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the Mac Pro 6,1 is a workable SMBIOS for this machine. As it looks like MacOS Monterey is also going to work with MacPro6,1, I wonder if it is a good idea for Optiplex 7010 owners to learn open core and move to Big Sur this year? Any advice on this?

There are some guides for a optiplex 7010 and big sur on this site, but none as awesome, detailed, and easy to follow as the guides by trs96…..

I wonder if it is a good idea for Optiplex 7010 owners to learn open core and move to Big Sur this year? Any advice on this?
Yes, I always want people to keep learning new things. I have an Opencore guide for the 7020/9020 already posted. 7010 owners can't follow that verbatim as it uses Haswell CPUs and the Intel Q87 chipset. They can learn from it and adapt to what they'll need to do for Ivy Bridge and the Q77 chipset. Big Sur requires that CFG be unlocked in BIOS so 7010 owners will have to either do that within OC or modify the BIOS.

The Ivy Bridge version of the Dortania guide will direct you how to do the former from within the config.plist.

I won't be posting a Big Sur guide as I don't use the 7010 any longer but it's certainly fine for a 7010 owner to do that to help others.

The Mac Pro 6,1 is a workable SMBIOS for this machine. As it looks like MacOS Monterey is also going to work with MacPro6,1
Surprisingly, Big Sur still kept HD4000 support. It could be dropped in Monterey. It's likely that it will. So if you rely on HD4000 only for graphics, Monterey is a no go. You'd need a card that is still supported by Monterey. It will be a few months till we know for sure what will work as a dGPU.

Last edited:
From my own experience, learning Open Core is a very good idea. :thumbup: In my case, it simplified a few things (headless IGPU) and gave a better impression of fluidity. If you're at ease with Clover, it won't be very hard to make the change.

I've just tried MacPro6,1 on my Z68 build and it works perfectly (either on 10.9, 10.11 or 10.14 here) except for HD4000 as that Sys Def doesn't have an IGPU. If you feel adventurous, there probably are tricks to install Monterey on unsupported Macs, as previous OSes, but I'm not there any time soon. :lol:

If you feel adventurous, there probably are tricks to install Monterey on unsupported Macs, as previous OSes, but I'm not there any time soon.
Have to agree with this. Don't be in any rush to use Monterey with older hardware. It's Big Sur with more polish and features that help you integrate your "Mac" with other iOS devices, tablets and phones primarily. If you don't have all those other i devices, what's the point ? Big Sur will be worth upgrading to eventually, they are finally getting many bugs ironed out with 11.4.

Sorry for my ignorance... .. What’s a “headless iGPU” or a ”headless GPU”— sounds very exotic. o_O

Sorry for my ignorance... .. What’s a “headless iGPU” or a ”headless GPU”— sounds very exotic. o_O

Our i7 3770 has an HD4000 Integrated Graphics Processing Unit, but for my build I keep on using my NVidia card as main, so headless means that the OS can use the IGPU only for rendering and other calculations (i.e. not connected to a display). It's nothing spectacular until you do plenty of video conversion with software that support it (not many...) If you use your machine without an additional Graphics Card, you don't need that — but sure enough, you can't use Monterey.

Back