Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

The creator of this guide (Mr./Ms.? Trs96) generously made custom SSDTs available specifically for the Dell Optiplex 7010 using Clover/Catalina…. I suspect these custom SSDTs are a big part of the reason that following this guide very carefully leads to the birth of such a great OptiMac... For an Optiplex 7010 Opencore Big Sur install, would it be good to use the custom SSDTs for this machine made available in the first post of this guide in lieu of (or in conjunction with?) the pre-built SSDT that is pointed to in the Dortania guide for Ivy Bridge? I’m most definitely a newbie-learner, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. :lol:

Last edited:
I would try the SSDT time script by corpnewt. Makes it simple to create your own for use with Big Sur. Give it a go.

You can use the pre-builts from Dortania but making them on your own system is best.

I would try the SSDT time script by corpnewt. Makes it simple to create your own for use with Big Sur. Give it a go.

You can use the pre-builts from Dortania but making them on your own system is best.

Thank you. It worked easily.

So I am guessing tht there is no older OS that will work with my system unless i change the processor or the card?
Here's a detailed video on how to change an Intel CPU to one that works for you and has macOS Support. Really not at all difficult. If you get the i5-3475S or i7-3770 just put that in your Dell Optiplex 7010 socket as shown in the video. Then you've got working graphics.

Last edited:
Here's how you can evaluate the options. The cost to upgrade to an HD4000 i5-3475S CPU is only 30 some dollars on Ebay right now. A new GT 710 card will cost about 70-90 dollars depending on the brand and model. HD4000 graphics are nearly as good as a GT 710. They don't take up a PCIe slot and I've never seen an Intel iGPU failure since they came out in 2010.

You can also re-sell the 3470 CPU to recover some of the money spent.

So I am guessing tht there is no older OS that will work with my system unless i change the processor or the card?
Last year, I've found my i7-3770 on eBay for about 50€ (~55$)... with a little patience. ;) You have to be gentle when changing CPU, but that's not as risky as it seems when you've never done it. Clean thoroughly everything and put new paste.

I don't have the patience or the skill to pull that off. I have looked into it some and decided it was out of my league to accomplish. It would be better if I just found the OS that runs on what I have.
Dude has come to the alter of Hackintosh and told the high priests /priestesses that he has neither the patience nor the skill…. Shame, shame, shame, we know your name! :lol: :crazy: (j/k)

You can definitely do it if you study up a bit!! Be thankful that you own a computer that is upgradable, because that is sadly all but gone in Apple’s world.

If you upgrade your processor and you follow this guide, you will have a great computer! I’ve owned several macs over the last 2 decades, and the Dell optiMac that is born from this guide is the best computer I’ve ever had in my life!

What is the paste I would need to change the processor?
I use Arctic MX4. Low cost, good quality. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9BDY3T/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The HD graphics lets me choose 1920x1080 were with the VGA hookup it only went to 1280x720. If the HD 2500 is not supported, why is there under the graphics injector for the clover a selection for intel HD 2500?
It's only partially supported. QE/CI, one of those (QE) is not supported and definitely no Metal Support which you'd need for Mojave through Big Sur.

QE=Quartz Extreme
CI=Core Image
Quartz Compositor is the windowing system that is responsible for the user interface in Mac OS X. Starting with Mac OS X , Quartz Compositor was extended by Quartz Extreme, which uses OpenGL to render screen displays faster by presenting them as textures within a 3D OpenGL context.

Last edited:
I followed this guide previously and had perfect 10.15.7. I was bored and wanted to try OpenCore and Big Sur. I had a working install but for the life of me could not get USB 3 to work. I gave up and clean installed 10.15.7 and went back to Clover and Catalina. I don't think this machine is destined for 11.x. This guide is excellent and will give you an excellent Catalina Hack.

Back