Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Injection of AMD Vega Power and Fan Control Properties

Do you have Lilu and Whatevergreen installed? If you do not that would be a good place to start. Also you might want to make your own post in the graphic card section, this post is mostly about fixing the fan issues.

I do have Lilu and WhateverGreen. I have created my own thread and added the link to my post here. Thanks!

Great it also looks like you got two guys helping you on the case.

Sorted - I'm up and running :)

@AdonI,

As more and more people get Vega cards for their Hacks we are finding that not all Vega are made equal so the more people we can get to post their success stories and VGTab settings here the more we can help others.
@JozoR,

As stated in the guide, not all Vega cards are created equal.

Many 3rd Party OEM Vega's use a custom cooling solution and non reference VBIOS to directly control the fan via on board fan controller, as such it is not possible to control the Fan via SoftPowerPlayTable (although you can still use it to define GPU/HBM clock speeds and voltages).

Vegas that follow the reference AMD design have the Fan controlled directly by MacOS via the Apple Vega kexts/drivers and the SoftPowerPlayTable.

Not sure which category the Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 falls into but something to be aware of.
@JozoR,

I've seen posts with users mentioning that they have flashed the VBIOS on their OEM cards with a AMD or Sapphire VBIOS, seems risky to me but might be the only way to get certain OEM cards working correctly in MacOS ...

This topic is well covered all over the internet, but I have been unable to find a fix. 2 minutes after startup, my Sapphire Radeon Vega 56 Pulse fans ramp up to 49% duty, ~2400rpm and seem to be locked there. It's very loud. So far I've tried:
  • Tried configuring a bunch of different settings in VGTab and putting the VegaTab kext in Clover/kexts/Other.
  • Tried removing the kext and configuring the Clover/Devices according to the screenshot CaseySJ posted.
  • Tried using RadeonVegaLowFanSpeed.kext.
  • Looking up how to edit AMD10000 kext now but not holding out much hope that it'll work.
It seems that the Pulse model of the card is a non-reference card, which is why these fixes don't work. Any ideas? Is flashing the vBIOS to a reference model my next step?

Cheers,
Alex

This topic is well covered all over the internet, but I have been unable to find a fix. 2 minutes after startup, my Sapphire Radeon Vega 56 Pulse fans ramp up to 49% duty, ~2400rpm and seem to be locked there. It's very loud. So far I've tried:
  • Tried configuring a bunch of different settings in VGTab and putting the VegaTab kext in Clover/kexts/Other.
  • Tried removing the kext and configuring the Clover/Devices according to the screenshot CaseySJ posted.
  • Looking up how to edit AMD10000 kext now but not holding out much hope that it'll work.
It seems that the Pulse model of the card is a non-reference card, which is why these fixes don't work. Any ideas? Is flashing the vBIOS to a reference model my next step?

Cheers,
Alex

Look at post 142 maybe that could help also maybe you need to flash your card to a nitro.

Thanks - that post says I need to remove any other GPU settings from Clover/Devices. At the moment I have my iGPU spoofed in headless mode, so I was adding the Vega device details in addition to the iGPU device details. If I remove the iGPU device details, can I still have my iGPU running headless?

Edit: here's my Clover directory. I found using the VGTabMerge tool added a whole lot more entries to my config.plist than I had previously entered manually. Still no joy with either configuration though.

Attachments

• CLOVERVegaTest.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Thanks - that post says I need to remove any other GPU settings from Clover/Devices. At the moment I have my iGPU spoofed in headless mode, so I was adding the Vega device details in addition to the iGPU device details. If I remove the iGPU device details, can I still have my iGPU running headless?

Edit: here's my Clover directory. I found using the VGTabMerge tool added a whole lot more entries to my config.plist than I had previously entered manually. Still no joy with either configuration though.

I am not sure that I would know what to look for in your config. Both Vega cards I have are reference cards so I have no experience with anything else outside of what people share on posts.

Hi everyone.

First: Thanks for this thread, the explanation helped a lot. But I still cannot get my fans under control.
I am using the MSI reference card Vega56 Air Boost OC.

I have to use WhateverGreen. Without it the systems boots fine but will shut off the display just before going to the desktop. I do not use an IGP

Thus, I used the manual method for inserting the tables into config.plist. The automated method does not work for me because the script quits with an error message.

What baffels me is the following:
  1. Although I use WhateverGreen ./gfxutil -f GFX0 gives the unsupported registry entry error.
  2. When manually entering the information into config.plist (and checking with XCode for errors) the information is NOT visible in Clover Configurator "device" section.
  3. But the Information is processed by Clover, because I changed PP_DisablePowerContainment to "0" and HWMonitorSMC2 is now showing the "Total Power" Rating.

Still, even with below 40 degrees and no Activity, the fans are running at around 2500. In Windows, they are absolutely silent when idle.

I am open for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Alex

Same Problem. Did you find a solution?

I found a solution.
I used the automated method. In the config.plist the device was wrong
ist was like this:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

It has to be the whole gfxutil output:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Back