Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it under another device,
I checked the information of the 8086 15ec, which is another USB controller.
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 3.12.54 PM.png

I just went through the guide using my ProBook 450 G5 earlier tonight, and it seems all is working :)

Still testing, but:

graphics (UHD620 at 1920X1080) and audio (including headphones and autoswitching) work, internal mic works, camera shows up under system info, Bluetooth also shows up (haven't had chance to test those), Ethernet and WIFI work, keyboard and mouse/touchpad work as expected, shutdown and restart also work as well as sleep/wake.

I did this install on a Samsung 850 evo m.2 ssd using APFS, so I enabled the trim patch in the config.plist, and the system still seems to work fine; will do more tests to be sure, but:
1. System takes between 20-25 secs to boot (show desktop and finish background load) once the volume is selected in clover. (are these average boot times?)
2. Trackpad shows up and opens under system prefs.
3. Battery icon shows and displays battery percentage. However, this is the only issue I've found, the battery percentage is not reported correctly :( I know for a fact that my battery is fully charged, but macOS reports it at 23%
and keeps dropping from there when AC is unplugged.
I plan to drain it and do a full charge cycle to see if things improve before reporting it as a problem. Will also check it under win 10 to make sure it's not hardware.

I'll do some more testing later and report any changes or updates. In the mean time, 3 quick questions:

1. What are average/normal boot times for macOS on SSD? (Just to make sure trim+APFS isn't really an issue).
2. @RehabMan, on the guide you mention something about fsck and trim and slow boots as well, how do I test for this if applicable? I know you mentioned not having this issue with Samsung ssd, which is what I'm using, but want to make sure for the sake of completeness :)
3. What can I use to test and make sure that CPU power management is working correctly for my hardware and chosen system def?

Thanks once again @RehabMan for another excellent and well written guide!
:clap:

Update 1: Battery is working and status icon is working as expected! After a full charge everything seems to be working fine. Further testing also reveal that shutdown and sleep work as expected! The system shuts down properly each time (even with devices plugged in any of the USB ports). I shut the system down and left it on battery for about 12 hours, and when I checked the battery was not drained, as some of us had experienced with previous models/configurations.
The system sleeps as expected (in all 3 ways: by closing lid, selecting sleep from power menu, or leaving the system to put itself to sleep after some inactivity)

Last edited:
According to what you write above, you neglected to update config.plist and neglected to install ACPI files.
update config.plist and ACPI patches
still not working
there debug files

Attachments

• debug.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 99
Make sure you use the 'beta' branch as per post #1.

Also, you cannot use Clover to inject for the IGPU (it is injecting AAPL,GfxYTile which causes hang on boot).
I have a private build of Clover that does not inject AAPL,GfxYTile.
Read here for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Of course, once you switch to using SSDT-IGPU.aml and final config.plist, my setup does not inject AAPL,GfxYTile, so the problem goes away. If you're using "official" Clover from sourceforge, you need to use an invalid ig-platform-id to be able to boot.

Where would i find that version of clover - it seems that i cannot find it in that thread. I use your latest 444 clover build

e

Last edited:
Thank you for your correction to UsbConnector.
Regarding the Type-C SSxx port, I found it under another device, so I don’t think it will affect the a36d device.

You wrote:
Code:
                    "HS11", // Type-C rear USB2.0
                    Package (0x04)
                    {
                        "UsbConnector",
                        0x03,
                        "port",
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x0B, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        }
                    },

"HS13", // Type-C front USB2.0
                    Package (0x04)
                    {
                        "UsbConnector",
                        0x03,
                        "port",
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x0D, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                        }
                    },

Inaccurate?

I checked the information of the 8086 15ec, which is another USB controller.
View attachment 339475

Thunderbolt not covered here or with USBInjectAll.kext.
For the most part, TB does not work properly... (known problem affecting all hacks).

1. What are average/normal boot times for macOS on SSD? (Just to make sure trim+APFS isn't really an issue).

Test with and without TRIM patch to compare times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back