Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Folio 13 Guide (Yosemite/Mavericks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HP Folio 13 Guide (for Yosemite and Mavericks)

One other thing I have noticed is that the mouse buttons are incorporated into the trackpad, which means that trying to use the toupad in the normal way (finger to move the cursor and thumb resting on the left mouse button ready for action) means that the cursor stalls expecting you to want to be scrolling. PITA as it means that I cannot rest my thumb on the trackpad anymore and it makes clicking bloody awkward. Have I got something wrong with voodoops2, or is this just the way it is? better still, can I fix it?

Thanks again, help is very gratefully received.

Nick

Hey, thanks Rehabman for the superfast reply,

The Audio Codec is IDT High Definition Audio CODEC DeviceID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E5
The Webcam isn't listed in the USB section sadly :( Possibly because the DSDT I'm using is for a Folio 13-1010es?
Thanks for the Bluetooth tip - that's gone away!
Thanks too for the info on cores/hyperthreading. Doh.

Nick

It does not make sense to use a DSDT from another computer. Patch your own instead.

One other thing I have noticed is that the mouse buttons are incorporated into the trackpad, which means that trying to use the toupad in the normal way (finger to move the cursor and thumb resting on the left mouse button ready for action) means that the cursor stalls expecting you to want to be scrolling. PITA as it means that I cannot rest my thumb on the trackpad anymore and it makes clicking bloody awkward. Have I got something wrong with voodoops2, or is this just the way it is? better still, can I fix it?

That's how the code works (you can blame me... I wrote it). When there are two fingers on the trackpad, but the clickpad button is NOT pressed, it is expected that you're scrolling. Although I could probably detect that one finger is moving and the other isn't and then convert that to pointer movement, you probably would not be satisfied with the response.

When two fingers are down, the bandwidth is shared between each finger... so half the bandwidth allocated to the single finger that is moving (admittedly, the firmware could be smarter about this... but it isn't, and I don't expect Synaptics to fix it). If I implemented it, you would notice that pointer movement with two fingers down (one motionless, the other pointing) would be less accurate and less smooth than a single finger. Even with the feature, you'd probably eventually train yourself to not rest the thumb there because of the inferior performance of the pad when two fingers are down. This two finger bandwidth sharing is what causes two finger scrolling to be not as accurate/smooth on the clickpads than the normal Synaptics pads.

In fact, in order to improve two finger scrolling performance, I'm considering modifying the code so it doesn't put the trackpad in extended-W mode (the mode required to get independent position data for two fingers) until you press the button down. That way you'd get more responsive two-finger scroll. But of course it eliminate completely the possibility of the kext's ability to read the position of the second finger while your thumb is resting on the pad (but not pressing), thus eliminating the possibility of fixing the issue you are reporting here.

I may try implementing both and seeing which I like better. But I have a feeling I'd rather have better scrolling performance than pointer movement with two fingers.

For clicking it is better to turn clicking on in SysPrefs->Trackpad, so you can simply tap-to-click.

Hi,

Patching my own DSDT is a scary thing. I have tried several times in the past and miserably failed with actually understanding the process - I get the concept, just not how to accurately execute whatever steps are necessary. I would very much like to know how - there is too much information for me to have time to try each item, so I end up using DSDT's that mostly work and asking questions. Same goes for kexts. I get the concept and how they work, just no idea which particular one I need in some cases unless there is a guide I can follow.
Thank you for the detailed explanation of the track pad operation - I see the dilemma. I don't suppose there is any way you can make the kext ignore the area of the scroll pad with the buttons except for click? Then I could rest my thumb on the left click area and it would not affect the scroll operation unless I moved my thumb outside the mouse button area or used another finger?

Nick

Last edited:

Hi,

Patching my own DSDT is a scary thing. I have tried several times in the past and miserably failed with actually understanding the process - I get the concept, just not how to accurately execute whatever steps are necessary. I would very much like to know how - there is too much information for me to have time to try each item, so I end up using DSDT's that mostly work and asking questions. Same goes for kexts. I get the concept and how they work, just no idea which particular one I need in some cases unless there is a guide I can follow.

You should just read/try/learn. Using a DSDT from someone else is a huge mistake.

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the track pad operation - I see the dilemma. I don't suppose there is any way you can make the kext ignore the area of the scroll pad with the buttons except for click? Then I could rest my thumb on the left click area and it would not affect the scroll operation unless I moved my thumb outside the mouse button area or used another finger?

I'm not sure what you're saying...

Point taken.
I meant that if there is anyway to ignore input from a finger resting in the region of the trackpad where the mouse buttons are, thus reducing the space of the trackpad available for normal operation it would solve my issue.

Point taken.
I meant that if there is anyway to ignore input from a finger resting in the region of the trackpad where the mouse buttons are, thus reducing the space of the trackpad available for normal operation it would solve my issue.

Certainly it could ignore the input. But that isn't the issue. The issue is that when there are two fingers down in EW mode, the firmware splits ps2 bandwidth between each finger evenly regardless of whether both are moving or not. This results in poor performance when scrolling with two fingers and choppy movement should I choose to implement 'pointing' in this situation.

Ahh. Scuppered without custom firmware. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, I shall go away and try to patch my DSDT.

Will be keeping an eye on the thread.

Nick

Ahh. Scuppered without custom firmware. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, I shall go away and try to patch my DSDT.

The root of the problem is a lazy PC industry. They are still using the PS2 interface, designed in 1987 for keyboard/mouse on IBM's PS/2 computers (and... based on the keyboard interface for PC AT keyboards, designed even earlier than that). Suffice to say, the bandwidth requirements for keyboard data and the original mice are much less demanding than a well designed multi-touch trackpad protocol. Given the limitations, we simply don't have well designed multi-touch ps2 trackpad protocols on today's laptops.

So... the bandwidth is barely adequate for normal single finger trackpad data, and even less adequate for multi-finger. The PC/laptop industry should have moved to USB long ago (Apple uses USB).

It looks like (some) newer laptops are moving to I2C/smbus, a protocol/interface I don't know too much about... This is good news and bad news. Good news because there is more bandwidth. Bad news because, much like ps2, there is also no OS X support for I2C.

I've tried to find a patched AppleHDAAppleHDA.kext and IOAudioFamily.kext but I am struggling - would anyone mind posting them?

Since Rehabman already answered most of your questions I will just answer this one.
I updated the guide and attached the patched kexts I'm using in Mavericks and Yosemite to enable sound, to the first post of this thread.

Please be aware that I don't know if they will work for you since it's clear that your Folio 13 model it's a little bit different than mine but for sure it worth trying them. Hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back