Contribute
Register

[Guide] HP Envy Haswell series J/K/Q/N using Clover UEFI (10.11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First test would be to customize SSDT-HACK.dsl (UIAC) to correspond to your actual configuration.
Then see if the same problems happen (you didn't really mention any specific problems...)

I don't know who provided the data that led to the current UIAC content (which has 3 USB3 ports).
The main problem is that when I plug a Sandisk USB 3.0 drive in a USB3.0 port, in IOREG is showed normally under XHC@14, but not everytime. For example, for the first 4-5 times the USB is showed under the XHC@14 and then randomly, when I unplug and plug it again, it's showed under the EH01->PR11 as a USB2.0 and I think it's not normal.

The main problem is that when I plug a Sandisk USB 3.0 drive in a USB3.0 port, in IOREG is showed normally under XHC@14, but not everytime. For example, for the first 4-5 times the USB is showed under the XHC@14 and then randomly, when I unplug and plug it again, it's showed under the EH01->PR11 as a USB2.0 and I think it's not normal.

Fix your USB configuration and see if that helps...
If not, we'll explore other alternatives (such as keeping everything on XHC).

BTW, I see another problem obvious in the ioreg... The nvidia is not disabled. I will push a fix for that... (DONE).

Another problem you have... and this may be the cause of your USB issues.
You have let Google Chrome hook your USB ports. Bad idea.
Read relevant topic in FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Last edited:
Fix your USB configuration and see if that helps...
If not, we'll explore other alternatives (such as keeping everything on XHC).

BTW, I see another problem obvious in the ioreg... The nvidia is not disabled. I will push a fix for that... (DONE).

Another problem you have... and this may be the cause of your USB issues.
You have let Google Chrome hook your USB ports. Bad idea.
Read relevant topic in FAQ.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
So:
1) I applied patch to SSDT-HACK.aml (I replaced UIAC with UIAC of custom SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl for my scenario, downloaded from your repo).
2) Didn't checked what u said about Google Chrome but with SSDT edit-only it seems to working properly now. USB3.0 are always recognized in the XHC@14 in IOREG. I tried to plug and unplug about 20 times and never had problem more.
3) For nvidia you mean discrete video card? If yes mine is not nvidia, but AMD HD8670M.

So:
1) I applied patch to SSDT-HACK.aml (I replaced UIAC with UIAC of custom SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl for my scenario, downloaded from your repo).

No need. To cause USBInjectAll.kext to ignore RMCF, you need only to use -uia_ignore_rmcf kernel flag.

2) Didn't checked what u said about Google Chrome but with SSDT edit-only it seems to working properly now. USB3.0 are always recognized in the XHC@14 in IOREG. I tried to plug and unplug about 20 times and never had problem more.

Attach "Problem Reporting" files that represent this scenario.
Make sure you test all USB ports with both USB2 and USB3 devices before attaching saving ioreg.

3) For nvidia you mean discrete video card? If yes mine is not nvidia, but AMD HD8670M.

Same thing. Your ioreg shows the discrete card is not disabled (I probably didn't pay attention to whether it was AMD vs. Nvidia when I looked at ioreg).

The new SSDT-HACK.dsl in the repo has this corrected.

No need. To cause USBInjectAll.kext to ignore RMCF, you need only to use -uia_ignore_rmcf kernel flag.

Attach "Problem Reporting" files that represent this scenario.
Make sure you test all USB ports with both USB2 and USB3 devices before attaching saving ioreg.

Same thing. Your ioreg shows the discrete card is not disabled (I probably didn't pay attention to whether it was AMD vs. Nvidia when I looked at ioreg).

The new SSDT-HACK.dsl in the repo has this corrected.
So I proceded as following:
1) I downloaded the new SSDT-HACK.dsl from your repo (the one you made with disabling nvidia/AMD), compiled .aml and put in ACPI/patched.
2) I disabled Google Chrome USB hook.
3) Rebooted.
4) Opened IOREG and I cannot see more HP17 and HP18 under EH01(why???). SS03 still there.
5) Plugged and unplugged USB2 and USB3 devices into all the USB ports I have in my laptop.
6) All seems to work properly now.
7) I saved all my config files and here for you.

Chrome was the problem? Or video card? And why now I cannot see more HP17 and HP18?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • MacBook Pro.zip
    840.3 KB · Views: 80
  • RehabMan.zip
    44.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Schermata 2017-07-16 alle 19.55.34.zip
    141.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Schermata 2017-07-16 alle 19.56.03.zip
    55.6 KB · Views: 58
4) Opened IOREG and I cannot see more HP17 and HP18 under EH01(why???).
And why now I cannot see more HP17 and HP18?

You are excluding them with uia_exclude kernel flag.

SS03 still there.

You are not excluding it in the UIAC.RMCF or uia_exclude flag.

5) Plugged and unplugged USB2 and USB3 devices into all the USB ports I have in my laptop.
6) All seems to work properly now.

Test for a while... intermittent problems are difficult because, well... because they are intermittent.
Also, test without uia_exclude for the HP17/HP18 ports.

Chrome was the problem?

Likely.

Or video card?

A problem (now fixed as confirmed by this ioreg), but not related to USB.

You are excluding them with uia_exclude kernel flag.

You are not excluding it in the UIAC.RMCF or uia_exclude flag.

Test for a while... intermittent problems are difficult because, well... because they are intermittent.
Also, test without uia_exclude for the HP17/HP18 ports.

Likely.

A problem (now fixed as confirmed by this ioreg), but not related to USB.
I removed uia_exclude flag and now i am testing it. I will post again after few tests.
In the while, I would like to ask you just two more question related to keyboard and touchpad (so related to voodoops2 i suppose) of this laptop.
1) I noticed that in Syspref>Accessibility>Mouse&Trackpad>Trackpad options>drag lock , if select with drag lock or without drag lock, nothing changes... drag lock is always enabled. Is this something can be solved?
2) When laptop goes to sleep, is that possible to use some keyboard keys or touchpad to wake it up again?

Thanks.

1) I noticed that in Syspref>Accessibility>Mouse&Trackpad>Trackpad options>drag lock , if select with drag lock or without drag lock, nothing changes... drag lock is always enabled. Is this something can be solved?

You will need to provide details. And ioreg in each state.

2) When laptop goes to sleep, is that possible to use some keyboard keys or touchpad to wake it up again?

Test keyboard (assuming built-in)/trackpad wake on Windows.

You will need to provide details. And ioreg in each state.

Test keyboard (assuming built-in)/trackpad wake on Windows.

1) here attachment files for you with ioreg for state 1 (with drag lock) and state 2 (without drag lock)

2) keyboard and trackpad under windows work perfectly and wake up system from sleep without problems.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • MacBook Pro - with drag lock.zip
    462.9 KB · Views: 66
  • MacBook Pro - without drag lock.zip
    457.7 KB · Views: 81
  • RehabMan.zip
    44.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 00.22.04.zip
    55.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 00.22.44.zip
    103.5 KB · Views: 55
1) here attachment files for you with ioreg for state 1 (with drag lock) and state 2 (without drag lock)

In "MacBookPro - without drag lock.ioreg", dragging is still enabled. You will have an automatic draglock which times out in one second. It is the expected behavior and exactly like a real Mac.

2) keyboard and trackpad under windows work perfectly and wake up system from sleep without problems.

Which version of Windows?
What happens on macOS?

You forgot to press F4 in Clover... no ACPI/origin files... no further analysis possible.
Please read post #1, "Problem Reporting" carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back