Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Thank you for summarizing the various permutations that were tested. Wish everyone would start off by listing the same table. You've already tried every reasonable combination.

Let me see if I understand the connection situation:
  • DP port works (because DP-to-HDMI adapter connects to HDMI port on your LG monitor)
  • HDMI port works
  • DVI port does not work
If you are connecting HDMI on motherboard to HDMI on LG monitor, have you considered using DP on motherboard to connect to DVI on the other monitor? You would just need a DP-to-DVI video cable such as this US$10 cable on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GPMRXL0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I had a VGA to HDMI adapter lying around. So I just used that.

Here are my observations,
LG Monitor Connected with HDMI->DP Adapter
Dell Monitor Connected with VGA->HDMI Adapter

I had tried this previously,
My BIOS GOP was not configured and Primary boot stage would show boot progress in both monitors.
After 2nd boot stage screen would start glitching (Black bands on both the screens, Individually both worked fine), both would work fine with some combinations of hot plugging.

After the framebuffer patching exercise however it would not turn on at all. Even after removing all framebuffer patch related lines from config.plist. In fact my LG monitor itself would go blank at boot screen. Hot plugging didn't work either, both screens would go blank in any order. At this point my BIOS GOP was configured to use LG monitor.

This behavior was weird for me.
I decided to clear the NVRAM and now everything just works, no black bands or glitches.
I'm going to try this a couple times and might even try the Framebuffer patching again and clearing the NVRAM on each boot. It would be best if I could ditch the adapters.

I don't know what caused this but it worked.
Gonna experiment further, but also scared I might not get it to work again :p

Anyone know what works with an i7- 8700? It has UHD 630 graphics and is on a Gigabyte Aorus H370 Gaming motherboard. My issue is that I am using an HDMI and I have a black screen upon booting in (right after the apple logo).

Anyone know what works with an i7- 8700? It has UHD 630 graphics and is on a Gigabyte Aorus H370 Gaming motherboard. My issue is that I am using an HDMI and I have a black screen upon booting in (right after the apple logo).

For Catalina, you'll need igfxonln=1 in your boot-args. If you already have that, there's a config on hackintool for your motherboard. See the last section of the first post of this thread.

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 4.04.09 AM.png

@CaseySJ
In relationship to this:
"NOTICE 18 Jun 2020:
With macOS Catalina 10.15.x and latest version of WhateverGreen several motherboards are unable to activate on-board HDMI ports. On-board DisplayPort is not affected."

I have this issue. What's strange is if I use a DP to HDMI cable I cannot see the image while if I use a DP to DP cable I can see the image. Such DP to HDMI cable let me see the bios and the loading process up to when the driver loads. At such point the screen goes black. Why is it that a DP to HDMI cable doesn't let me see the image?

Hi, there. I install Catalina on my computer and boot successfully, and I check the system info, I found the uhd630 graphics just only 7m memory, I think that's GPU driver does not work. And I follow this guide, set IntelGFX to 0x3E9B8086, ig-platform-id to 0x3E9B0007,model to Macmini8,1 and boot successfully. Because my motherboard just has HDMI and VGA two-port, plug HDMI port display a black screen, so I turn on a screen share and use vnc viewer connect my computer, and this time system info did not show the graphics card info, but I can feel the system is better than before, I think that's the graphics card accelerated. I use hackintool follow this guide to plug two ports one by one, but I can't the red color(or any other color change) in the connectors tab(i also try every bus-id and index combination and reboot each one, but does not work), can somebody help me, thanks very much!!!
My computer config:
Motherboard: Asus TUF B360-Pro Gaming(Wifi)
CPU: I5-8400 (UHD 630)
dGPU : no

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 20.32.30.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 20.32.30.png
    396.5 KB · Views: 74
  • EFI.zip
    35.7 MB · Views: 1,136
Hi. I need your prefessional help! ...

I installed Mojave 10.14.6 on a Gigabyte H310M H, i3 8100 Coffe Lake. HDMI port is only working without graphics acceleration. VGA works fine though, but I want to use a 34 inch Display.
I followed this framebuffer patching guide but had no success yet. I tried the predefined connector patches (H310M CFL) - no success.
Manually, I used Platform ID: 0x3E9B0007 with
Index 1 - 0x05 - DP (for VGA)
Index 2 - 0x00 - HDMI
Index 3 - 0x04 HDMI
I attached m EFI folder.
Have you got any tips?
Cheers

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.3 MB · Views: 69
Have you got any tips?
Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).

Yes, thats right. I only used the VGA with a different Monitor for testing purposes.
The 34 inch Display only has DP and HDMI ports. So my intention is to use only HDMI, but it wont work...

Hi guys, I am able to use HDMI on my Catalina Hackintosh. But when I disable dGPU in BIOS, I can't use it. brightness and sleep are working (more or less) fine with dGPU disabled. enabling dGPU causes problems with sleep, and the brightness range is 50%-100%. From Windows device manager, I know that my HDMI is connected to GPU.

framebuffer: 0x3ea50009 (intel iris plus)
doses anyone else faced this kind of situation?

PS: the working config for HDMI in the hackintool is:
index:1 bus id:05 pipe:9 type:HDMI flags:0x1c7

Back