Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] General Framebuffer Patching Guide (HDMI Black Screen Problem)

Motherboard
Huawei Matebook D
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

@CaseySJ

I'm setting up an Asus Rog Strix H370-I Gaming with an i5 9400.
I've used the preset available in Hackintool for the Asus Rog Striz B360-I Gaming motherboard that's pretty similar to the H370.

The 2 ports, one DP the other HDMI, work but when I boot using HDMI, after the driver loads, the screen becomes black.
I have to unplug and then re-plug the HDMI cable to have the image appear. This happens any system boot.
If I boot from the DP port then the image doesn't disappear. Thing is this PC is connected to a TV with HDMi cable only so I have to boot it this way.
Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks.

UPDATE:
Now after updating to Catalina 10.15.5 the iGPU settings no longer work.
DP at Bus ID 0x01 works BURT HDMI at Bus Id 0x02 doesn't work anymore. Regardless of what value I use as Bus ID for HDMi this port is just black.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
Graphics
UHD630
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I managed to get my display up and running after changing my AAPL,ig-platform-id to 00009B3E on 10.15.5 & got the pink screen. After checking the IOReg I noticed that my HDMI was being flagged as DP. I tried to apply the patch to change framebuffer-conX-type to HDMI but it refuses to change.

Currently it shows a pink screen and keeps going off. The only way to use it is via remote connection.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
  • Hackintool.png
    Hackintool.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IOReg.png
    IOReg.png
    201.2 KB · Views: 76
Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi
CPU
Intel i7-9700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ouch. I am quite stuck at step five of the Preflight Checklist.

The HDMI port on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi is the only display port, and I was hoping to sneak by without getting dedicated graphics for budget reasons. As step five suggests, the HDMI port stops working when I boot with accelerated graphics enabled. Since I have no discrete GPU either, I really seem to have no way of getting a display to continue the setup.

I have a MacBook and I've thought of perhaps screen sharing, but I can't seem to enable screen sharing on my Hackintosh without, you know, seeing the screen after I boot.

Is there someone out there who can think of a workaround?

Motherboard
Asus Q501LA
CPU
Intel i5-4200u
Graphics
HD4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi, can someone help me, i've a Asus desktop all in one
Asus Zen AIO z240ic 24" 4k touch
CPU I7 6700T - Intel HD 530 - Geforce GTX960m
Hardisk nvme M2 512GB
Ram DDR4 16GB
Monitor 24" 4k touch
The only way to see desktop is use ig-platform-id 0x19120000 but only 31mb vram, whitout i obtain black screen
Any progress on it?

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ Your first post indicates that adapters (e.g. DP->DVI) should not be used during FB patching. I have found with my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini that using connector-type DigitalDVI with my DP->DVI adapters works perfectly and that framebuffer patching proceeded without issues after I discovered the need to use connector-type DigitalDVI (my system has 3 x DP ports and I use DP->DVI adapters for my displays).

I'm not sure if others have similar experience, but just offering this in case it helps others.

EDIT: Note that when using the DP->DVI adapter, I needed to add device property "no-hda-gfx" to HDEF ( PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) ) in order to prevent AppleALC kernel panic on wake from sleep. You can read more about this in my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini thread.

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@CaseySJ Your first post indicates that adapters (e.g. DP->DVI) should not be used during FB patching. I have found with my HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini that using connector-type DigitalDVI with my DP->DVI adapters works perfectly and that framebuffer patching proceeded without issues after I discovered the need to use connector-type DigitalDVI (my system has 3 x DP ports and I use DP->DVI adapters for my displays).

I'm not sure if others have similar experience, but just offering this in case it helps others.
Added a note in red at the very top of Post #1.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ouch. I am quite stuck at step five of the Preflight Checklist.

The HDMI port on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi is the only display port, and I was hoping to sneak by without getting dedicated graphics for budget reasons. As step five suggests, the HDMI port stops working when I boot with accelerated graphics enabled. Since I have no discrete GPU either, I really seem to have no way of getting a display to continue the setup.

I have a MacBook and I've thought of perhaps screen sharing, but I can't seem to enable screen sharing on my Hackintosh without, you know, seeing the screen after I boot.

Is there someone out there who can think of a workaround?
If we fake the iGPU device ID to something like 0x12345678, macOS will use the non-accelerated driver and it may be able to display video through the HDMI port. That may be enough to configure screen sharing...

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 9.38.37 AM.png

Motherboard
Asus H170M-Plus
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
igpu
Hello, can someone please guide me in what i'm doing wrong...

I follow the steps, i have a asus h170-plus with hd 530, my port settings are:
1 -> 0x05 -> hdmi (that i know is mapped for onboard dvi port)
2 -> 0x04 -> hdmi (that i know is mapped for onboard hdmi port)

I always have image if i connect only one monitor:
If i boot connected to dvi port i get image and hackingtool marks 1->0x05 as red
If i boot connected to hdmi port i get image and hackingtool marks 2-> 0x04 as red
If i boot connected to two ports, before login screen the dvi connected monitor turn black and only hdmi monitor keeps working, then in hackingtool only line 2->0x04 is red...

What i'm missing?

Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini
CPU
I7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had a black screen problem after cloning my fully working system to a new NVMe SSD. Solution was to rebuild kextcache after cloning. See full description here.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU
I7-9700K
Graphics
NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Working now, I am using the following for my UHD630 Lenovo M720s coffee lake
OC 0.6.0, latest lilu & WEG. 0x3E920000
hackintool shows no connections and all dummy so not sure what's going on there.

This is the only thing to get me past a black screen, thank you!!