Contribute
Register

GUIDE: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 UEFI BIOS - ALL WORKING, DSDT not required!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reply. I have the following for Kernal Flags:
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 npci=0x3000</string>

I tried without darkwake but it did not make any difference. It is weird cause I had no problems with sleep in Lion. I wonder if it has something to do with my graphics card and using a cinema display.

Cheers

try enable the screen sharing in System Preference : Sharing : Screen Sharing

VNC to your computer to see the computer is completely freeze or just no display

you may use ultraVNC Viewer (freeware) in Windows

or

in mac OS

Safari : VNC://192.168.1.xxx (your mac IP address)

try enable the screen sharing in System Preference : Sharing : Screen Sharing

VNC to your computer to see the computer is completely freeze or just no display

you may use ultraVNC Viewer (freeware) in Windows

or

in mac OS

Safari : VNC://192.168.1.xxx (your mac IP address)

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried screen sharing and the computer is waking fine from sleep although with no display. I also tried to run the computer with a different screen connected to DVI - not using the miniDP on my graphics card and sleep worked perfectly. I guess this confirms my suspicion that the problem relates to my graphics card. It seems that the computer defaults to a dvi display port rather than the miniDP after waking form sleep.

I did an ioreg | grep ATY and the system is running the vervet frame buffer -- which worked in Lion. Any tips for framebuffers to run with an XFX HD 5770 appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried screen sharing and the computer is waking fine from sleep although with no display. I also tried to run the computer with a different screen connected to DVI - not using the miniDP on my graphics card and sleep worked perfectly. I guess this confirms my suspicion that the problem relates to my graphics card. It seems that the computer defaults to a dvi display port rather than the miniDP after waking form sleep.

I did an ioreg | grep ATY and the system is running the vervet frame buffer -- which worked in Lion. Any tips for framebuffers to run with an XFX HD 5770 appreciated.

Cheers

the same framebuffer works in Lion may not works in Mountain Lion, you may try different combinations of the settings, especially your card has more than one output ports

GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 UEFI BIOS - IOUSBFamily(3.0.5) boot panic

Great guide, thanks a lot!

UEFI flash went OK on the first run. Had to start installer with PCIRootUID=0 since I use GTX460 (added that manually to boot .plist after multibeast).

However, I have boot problem with IOUSBFamily.kext panic on boot. I can only boot from Installer stick in USB2.0 port.
Using chimera on stick in 2.0 USB port and then choosing installed MountainLion disk works (without any -x -f etc... switches)

However, booting from MountainLion SSD disk will not boot in any switch combination, -v shows IOUSBFamily(3.0.5) panic.
Same goes for booting from installer stick in USB3.0 port.

MultiBeast installation fails on attempt to install legacy usb.
Using IOUSBFamily.kext from Lion installation behaves the same (just no mouse input on boot).

Other than that - everything works great, network, audio, graphics, iCloud, AppStore, you name it.
I have triple-checked UEFI options, all usb ports are mounting drives.

Anyone has a help/hint on this?

Thanks!

Regarding auto-sleep one lad in this forum said disabling darkwake fixed it. So I removed darkwake=0, and guess what? Auto-sleep seems to be working now :) Note I disabled USB3 at the same time, so it might have to do with that as well. It seems like I have to do some more testing to be sure...

Great guide, thanks a lot!

UEFI flash went OK on the first run. Had to start installer with PCIRootUID=0 since I use GTX460 (added that manually to boot .plist after multibeast).

However, I have boot problem with IOUSBFamily.kext panic on boot. I can only boot from Installer stick in USB2.0 port.
Using chimera on stick in 2.0 USB port and then choosing installed MountainLion disk works (without any -x -f etc... switches)

However, booting from MountainLion SSD disk will not boot in any switch combination, -v shows IOUSBFamily(3.0.5) panic.
Same goes for booting from installer stick in USB3.0 port.

MultiBeast installation fails on attempt to install legacy usb.
Using IOUSBFamily.kext from Lion installation behaves the same (just no mouse input on boot).

Other than that - everything works great, network, audio, graphics, iCloud, AppStore, you name it.
I have triple-checked UEFI options, all usb ports are mounting drives.

Anyone has a help/hint on this?

Thanks!

(1) I choose the legacy USB option in unibeast 1.5.2 USB for installation
(2) in multibeast 4.6.1, I do not check the IOUSBFamily.kext option, all the USB drivers come with the OS X 10.8 app, so far no problem
(3) do not use USB 3.0 port to install the OS

Regarding auto-sleep one lad in this forum said disabling darkwake fixed it. So I removed darkwake=0, and guess what? Auto-sleep seems to be working now :) Note I disabled USB3 at the same time, so it might have to do with that as well. It seems like I have to do some more testing to be sure...

In fact, my test machines (unibeast 1.5.2; multibeast 4.6.1) with the flag darkwake=0 (default)

both OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.8.1 auto-sleep do not have problem (Nvidia GT640 installed)

my multibeast settings

Driver and bootloader miscellaneous
[x] USB 3.0 - NEC/Renesas and Etron
[x] AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset

Customization Boot Options
[x] 64-bit Apple Boot Screen
[x] Generate CPU States

SSDT
[x] Core i5

System Definitions
[x] MacPro 3,1

the same framebuffer works in Lion may not works in Mountain Lion, you may try different combinations of the settings, especially your card has more than one output ports

Got sleep working 100%. I was using the right framebuffer already (tried all of them per tonymacx86's post - http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...graphics-cards-framebuffer-personalities.html - and no other framebuffer loaded the system). The problem had to do with OSX not activating the miniDP again after sleep. By editing Info.plist in the ATI5000Controller.kext, I forced the miniDP to load. I replaced Langur with Vervet, thus making sure that when Vervet runs, the following code is incorporated (<key>CFG_FORCE_ICLK</key> <true/>). Anyways, thanks for your help!

This really helped me. Thank you OP, very much.

I'm all set on 10.8 but with just a few questions:

I'm using onboard now, running perfect. I want to get maybe a 660ti 2gb ddr5 card, or something similar. I've read these are pretty awesome OOB with 10.8+, think i'll have any luck with that? I'll re-read through the 30 some page in the morning, too.

Is upgrading to 10.8.1 as simple as using the software update? no issues there?

I'm on same mobo, 16gb corsair, 650w ocz, i5-2500k and this worked step by step just about perfect. i had ONE random panic at the way beginning when changing keyboard settings, but other than that it seems to be running beautiful. ~9900 geekbench score.

Stupid question:
I've a 10.8 install running well with F10, but I would like to switch to UEFI.
I don't wan't to reinstall the system, because I don't have too much spare time for it.

I know what kexts I've installed in Multibeast, but I don't know a way to remove them along with the DSDT, and start just like with a clear system.
Anyone who had this problem can suggest me some easy ways?
Maybe I should just manually remove the kexts and the DSDT, go to the small windows partition, update to UEFI and boot back to OSX?

Thanks for the help in advance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back