Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

neilhart, thanks a lot for very useful guide!

My way:
1. install clean 10.8.3 to old disk
2. setup kexts/dsdt/settings until stable boot with UseKernelCache (this is very important!)
3. create time machine for this well configured installation on another drive and copy to this "another drive" folder i386 (from chimera 2) and /Extra
4. boot up from install flash drive
5. create fusion-drive (using terminal.app from installation flash-drive)
6. restore time machine to fusion-drive
7. just after restoring you can open terminal.app (on installation flash-drive) and make this fusion bootable
…..
I hope this will be useful for someone.

Hi

Neilart, this is great guide. I followed it to the letter, just making sure to have the correct disk numbers. It went like charm and could boot from the new fusion drive (120 gigs Scandisk SSD and a 450 gigs Wester Digital HD). I ran some speed tests, the fusion drive is more than twice as fast as an internal HD and more than 5 times faster than an external HD with an USB 3 connection. On the other hand, it is only half as fast as the Intel 240 gigs SSD on which I have my original system..

I deleted the system from the fusion drive and will use it a fast storage drive.

thanks again

fizounet

Hi to all, I have a problem whit unibeast. During creating unibeast USB installer, an error occured that caused the installation to fail. What is the problem? plz help.;)

Hi all,
After 4 months without problem on my first hackintosh, it's about time to try FusionDrive.
I was running a SSD 128GB + HDD 1TB
So, I took one of my old HDD500GB to install for the FusionDrive, I will keep the 1TB for Time Machine.
I also got my old external USB to make a bootable clone.

Ready to start the process, I cloned my working ML from the SSD to USB HDD.
I am able to boot from it.

My plan was to create the FusionDrive and then clone back from this external USB HDD.

Unfortunately, I am not able to format my SSD. Because it was the previous startup disk.

Any idea how I can format the SSD, before creating the FD?
Should I start all from the Unibeast flashdrive?

Thanks for your help.

neilhart, thanks a lot for very useful guide!

My way:
1. install clean 10.8.3 to old disk
2. setup kexts/dsdt/settings until stable boot with UseKernelCache (this is very important!)
3. create time machine for this well configured installation on another drive and copy to this "another drive" folder i386 (from chimera 2) and /Extra
4. boot up from install flash drive
5. create fusion-drive (using terminal.app from installation flash-drive)
6. restore time machine to fusion-drive
7. just after restoring you can open terminal.app (on installation flash-drive) and make this fusion bootable
…..
I hope this will be useful for someone.

Can you please explain the "Use KernelCache" part and the terminal commands that follow on step 7? I imagine it will no longer start with "cd Desktop"...

Thank you!

I've been struggling all weekend trying to set this up. :banghead:

Unfortunately, I am not able to format my SSD. Because it was the previous startup disk.

I guess I was not booting from the USB drive.
It was failing, and back to default boot on the SSD.

I will have a try with the USB flash drive, containing Unibeast.

Edit:
Lol, I was not booting from this external 2.5" slooooooow HDD.
Now I am sure. It is soooo slow. :mrgreen:
I did not have to boot on the USB flash.
Just to select my USB HDD, after the TonyMac prompt.

Let see now, if I can follow the steps.

Hello playdead,

method described by neil only working on systems with flag "UseKernelCache=Yes" if your system can not use this flag, this does not working. So, you should configure system to starting with this flag. Configuration steps strongly depends from system.

for step 7. I used additional drive for save my Extra and i386 folder. So, for me it was
"cd /Volumes/Mirror", configure boot.plist(in Extra) and copy /Extra and boots to boot partitions (completely by neil's instruction).

I used fusion last 2 days and it looks pretty fine!

Hi all. I just read this thread from post #1 and am very impressed with the effort and knowledge base contained.

This has been asked before with no response given: Can the SSD in a Fusion Drive configuration be partitioned so that disk0s1 (HFS+) is fused with disk1s1 (HFS+) and disk0s2 (NTFS) is the boot/system volume for Windows 8?

I want to create a ML 10.8.3 Fusion Drive with some space reserved for Windows on my SSD, then use Boot Camp to get the Windows volume bootable. I'm thinking of installing both ML and W8 to separate drives, then cloning each to the appropriate partitions on the SSD. Alternately, if BC works with 10.8.3/W8, then that would be a lot easier.

Disclaimer - my hardware hasn't arrived from the vendor yet, so I can't actually try anything. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the task ahead.

Regards.

Hi,
I finally got the FusionDrive to work.
I had a clone of my first hack install, on the SSD.
I cloned back into the new FusionDrive.

Happy that all was booting without problem.

BUT I don't have the HD4000 activated.
Got a small resolution of 1024*768 and no acceleration.

In the process I did not change anything from my BIOS.

I tried to run again the MutliBeast, without luck.

Also the sleep is not working anymore.

Before creating the FusionDrive, I had a completely working system. (HD4000 was recognised, full resolution, sleep mode, etc.)

Any idea where I could start my troubleshooting?

Thanks

Thank you Neilhard,
I make my Fusion drive exactly on your description - and it works perfect ....much better i have thought.
I have a Seagate green 1,5TB - the speed test show me 60 MB/s
Now with a Samsung 840pro 256GB - it shows me 500 MB/s.
Its unbelievable!

Thanks so much for your good advising and your work.

Many greetings from Bavaria
Mike

Back