Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

Hi Tweety,

I see you have problem with HD 4000.

Make this, in org.cameleon.boot.plist:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>(take the resolution of your monitor)
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

and <string>darkwake=no</string>

maybe you have darkwake=0 - change this in no

and than HD 4000 should function.

Thanks BavariaTroll. I'll try this tonight, when I get home.

For me the strange thing is that my HD4000 was working fine, before I moved to the FusionDrive.
I did not expect to make a change.

I'll keep you posted if it solves my problem.

Unfortunately, it did not help.

I already had tried the 1080p, from MultiBeast, so it was in the plist.
I also tried the darkwake = no but it did not change anything.

Here is what I have so far:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=no</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>

Any other ideas to try?

Something else that I noticed, when booting with TonyMac interface, I have 2 HDD, even I have only one FusionDrive
"FusionDrive" and "FusionDrive2"
Strange.

Edit: if someone has new ideas, maybe you can tell me on the other topic. Easier to follow.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/93378-i-lost-my-hd4000-after-creating-fusiondrive.html

sorry that i can not help.
Maybe you have not make the fusion drive correct - a mistake in Terminal programming.

That's a good idea for a "before last" chance.
I was thinking of formatting all and back to no FusionDrive. (With great hope that I did not mess all everywhere)
but before that, I could remake the FusionDrive.

The strange thing is that I have the same resolution problem when booting from the clone on USB Drive.
Which I did not have.

Very little hope, currently.... :(

I finally got it to work, with the correct "normal" resolution.
Unfortunately, I did not identify where was the problem and the solution.

I completely reformated the FusionDrive.
I tried to just install MountainLion, via the USB stick with Unibeast. It was not booting after.
I formated again the FusionDrive, installed from scratch and reuse my clone backup. Did not work.
I formated again, booted from my USB clone, and cloned back to the FusionDrive, as suggested by this guide. I did the last commands in the terminal, to make it bootable, and it worked this time. It's booting and it recognises the HD4000.

As you said, maybe I was wrong in my command lines, in my first attempt.
I have to boot a few times, try use it for few days.
Hopefully, it will stay like this for long.

I guess, in the future, I won't play too much with my config. I am a basic user and I don't have much time to work on this. (only late night, when the kid is in bed.)
It tooks me a week, to make it work again. (after about 4 nights of work, formatting, etc.)

All seems to work. I have posted some info on my build experience , and thought I could add here.

(Of course, I don't see yet that my data are moved to the SSD when I access them often, but it's a good confirmation of my FD)

After the Fusion Drive was working, I started to fill in with my data (kept on my other HDD) to test.
With the iostat in a terminal, I could see the switch when the SSD was full and the system was starting to write on the HDD.

Here when it was filling the SSD (disk0) from a 2.5" USB 3 drive (disk4)
50671d1364219920-thierrys-first-build-mac-midi-ga-b75m-d3h-i3-3225-8gb-hd-4000-temjin-tj08-e-usb-ssd-fusiondrive.png

Then, SSD was full, it started to write on the HDD (disk1) with slower speed.
50672d1364219944-thierrys-first-build-mac-midi-ga-b75m-d3h-i3-3225-8gb-hd-4000-temjin-tj08-e-usb-hdd-fusiondrive.png

And here, an interesting view of the Fusion Drive, when I did the first Time Machine back up, after my new installation.
You can clearly see when the system was copying a bunch of data from the SSD (disk0) or from the HDD (disk1)
50673d1364219974-thierrys-first-build-mac-midi-ga-b75m-d3h-i3-3225-8gb-hd-4000-temjin-tj08-e-timemachine-my-fusion-drive.png

Thanks again Neil for this great guide!

As I said in my topic,
when you apply a well known and confirmed procedure and it's not working, you are most probably the point of failure. Try again from the beginning.

I did, and it worked. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new on this forum, but not new to OS X, so I thought I'd make something useful!
So here's a bash script that automates the creation of a fusion drive for you!

It's not fully complete, but I've included a script updater so if you use it and there's an update, it'll do that for you!
I might make my own thread later on, but for now this one is enough.
Please test it and give me feedback! :)

Download
If you get a permission error, in Terminal:
Code:
chmod +x [Drag Script Here]

Thanks for the script, it worked after I fixed these two issues:
- I had my drives named "Test" and "Test2". The script has a problem with this (I think in Format()), because it greps for drive names. And grepping for "Test" finds 2 drives. I was able to fix this by renaming my first drive to "Test1". BTW, this can also fail in the case where the name of one of these drives is included in some other drive name available in the system or matches any output from "diskutil list". An alternative would be "mount", then grepping for the path with some more character from mount's output, e.g. "/Volumes/Test (hfs".
- Copying the files in MakeBootable() didn't work for me, I got permission denied errors. I was able to fix this by adding "sudo" to the copy commands.

For everyone who's interested: I checked the script, it does what it says to do and doesn't send anything back home. At least in this version of the script. The script has the ability to automatically download a newer version of the script and even starts it. Everyone with access to iD0ct0r's Dropbox account could change the script. This is somewhat of a threat, in my opinion, and I would advise everyone to disable this functionality before running it and instead check manually for an updated version.

Still, again thanks for the script.

iDoctor, you should really start a topic just for this script. I never heard about a FD script until now. It would be great. (if it really does what it says)
By opening a separate topic, you would be much more visible.

I won't test it, I got my FD working by follow Neil method.
Hope to see some other feedback.

Odendahl, thanks for the feedback.
But sorry if I can't directly trust your first message on this forum.
Especially when you confirm about an unknown script.
I really wish some other "experts" would check and confirm it.

(As you are talking about the automatic update, it is really not safe in my opinion. Someone could then inject whatever he wants onto your computer, just because of an automatic update)

Thierry37, yes, the automatic update is not safe. But many other programs have update mechanisms too, and at least with this script you can review what it does. I would still prefer an update notification where the user has to manually download the update.

Back to the topic: My Fusion Drive works fine so far, but I'm not yet at the point where the SSD is full. I wonder if these 4GB of free space on the SSD is enough for photo or movie handling (copying from SD card, converting etc.). I may switch back to a simple SSD drive, if this doesn't work for me.

Back