Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Lion on the 4530s Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZuZus said:
I want to try OS X too, but unfortunately, my HDD is formatted with MBR partition table.

As I don't want to reformat it, I did some research, and found this:
See step 2

May this work on my 4530s? If there's any way to install it to MBR partition table, I want to do it :D
I read through some threads when I started my ProBook project about how to keep the MBR scheme. It didn't seem worth it (it just seemed sketchy), so I really never tried. I guess you can try and if it works, great.

I just didn't see a reason to try and keep the recovery partition, when you can do a fresh install of Win7 and get a much better install without all the crapware that HP piles on. You can do a retail install of Win7 from retail media (there are legal ways to download an image to USB as well), then use your Win7 product key printed on the bottom of the laptop (I think it is inside the battery cage on the ProBooks) to activate.

So... if it works great. If not, know that you can still get a valid Win7 genuine install using retail media and the key provided w/ the laptop...

Funny thing: My laptop came with a Win7 Professional DVD, even though the key is for Home Premium. Of course, you just change the contents of the sources/ei.cfg on the disk (or delete it) to install whatever you need.

ZuZus said:
I want to try OS X too, but unfortunately, my HDD is formatted with MBR partition table.

As I don't want to reformat it, I did some research, and found this:
See step 2

May this work on my 4530s? If there's any way to install it to MBR partition table, I want to do it :D

I've just installed Lion to my MBR formatted HDD using that guide, and everything seems fine :headbang:

However, after installing 10.7.3, I couldn't boot (kernel panic) - it said something about JMicron, but after disabling card reader from bios, everything works fine again - why's that?

zaptoons said:
Silizium, I kind-of get what you mean about it being confusing, but I don't quite get your request for someone to write 'more closed posts'.

In a way, it's good that the information takes a little time to dig through...
First of all, I really appreciate the effort you do to share this knowledge. What I request by "closed posts" is a topic the deals only with the new achievements in every case. So nobody can post comments or questions. Only the specification of the machine, the necessary installers and a little background knowledge is in the content. If there are new realizations, it is added to the post. My request points specially on Probook 4530s witch is my favorite. But this idea would be helpful for any machine. All the ultimativ conclusions into a "Closed" Thread and of course if there is new realization its added from the admin. What you think?

Hi Guys;

I have 100% HP ProBook Hackintosh, with graphics issue fixed and running perfectly and blazing fast.

See my video showing performance and how to fix graphics issues using SwitchResX.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=413297#p413297

Thanks

PS This is in the thread for the new HP ProBook Boot Installer for Lion 10.7.4

Hello Everyone
1st wanted to say thank all of you who spend a lot of time making guides and sharing with us.
I have a problem. When i try to install Lion on my 4730s i get a screen with resolution so large i cant see half the screen. If i try to install SL everything is fine. Here is a screenshot of my screen. I turned off switchable graphics in the bios but that didn't work.
Could someone help me out with this.
Thank You
screen.jpg

Got it had to delete this file AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from the usb installer

you need to boot with the -v and -x kernel flags for both the initial install (where you're at) and for the first boot of lion before you install everything using the probook installer.

When you finally get everything installed and start doing the switchresx fix for the resolution you should share your experience with all of us 4730ers .

bigmike3 said:
Hello Everyone
1st wanted to say thank all of you who spend a lot of time making guides and sharing with us.
I have a problem. When i try to install Lion on my 4730s i get a screen with resolution so large i cant see half the screen. If i try to install SL everything is fine. Here is a screenshot of my screen. I turned off switchable graphics in the bios but that didn't work.
Could someone help me out with this.
Thank You
screen.jpg

Got it had to delete this file AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from the usb installer

nikstar said:
jcarlo said:
Sorry I'm trying. I think I'm figuring it out. Where is the property list editor? or do I have to download a freeware?

Yes, download it. You can use it without paying for it.

Where do I download the "Property List Editor" from? I need to make some quick plist fixes, and I found out the editor is what I need to make the fixes without taking too much risk. I appreciate someone to point out a safe website to download it from. Thanks.

i already bought a 4430s. and installed OSx 10.7.0 using Unibeast + Probook Installer.
i tried to install dual booting with Win 7 Ultimate using this method. [Guide] MultiBooting for the novice. Updated 3/12 see log.

Everthing works out of the box. But during booting, i cant get to chimera screen, it keep coming back to windows after seeing this screen..

boot0: test
boot0: GPT
boot0: done

I still can boot to OSx using USB with Unibeast Bootloader.. I already tried few methods known for this matter such as below --> but it kept booting directly to windows..
- to reinstall multibeast - chimera bootloader --> didnt work
- to reinstall standalone chimera bootloader --> didnt work
- to unmount Lion OSX partition using this method [boot0 Error: The Official Guide] --> also didnt work

is there any way to boot to chimera screen?

thx all..

alisundoro said:
i already bought a 4430s. and installed OSx 10.7.0 using Unibeast + Probook Installer.
i tried to install dual booting with Win 7 Ultimate using this method. [Guide] MultiBooting for the novice. Updated 3/12 see log.

Everthing works out of the box. But during booting, i cant get to chimera screen, it keep coming back to windows after seeing this screen..

boot0: GPT
boot0: done

I still can boot to OSx using USB with Unibeast Bootloader.. I already tried few methods known for this matter such as below --> but it kept booting directly to windows..
- to reinstall multibeast - chimera bootloader --> didnt work
- to reinstall standalone chimera bootloader --> didnt work
- to unmount Lion OSX partition using this method [boot0 Error: The Official Guide] --> also didnt work

is there any way to boot to chimera screen?

thx all..
Do you have an Ubuntu "Live" USB that you can boot to? I just wonder if your MBR has been damaged along the way. If you can boot into Ubuntu, bring up Terminal and type:

sudo fdisk -l

- and -

sudo parted -l

That will list both your MBR partitions and GPT partitions. If your MBR only has a GPT protective EFI partition, then that explains why re-installing Chimera doesn't succeed. I ran into that a few times while writing my guide to multi-boot on my blog (linked to from my signature below).

At any rate, if that is the case, you could try using 'gptsync' from Linux to fix your MBR.

Hehehehehe..

im sorry... but i already use that method.. the one that you posted here "How To Install Lion 10.7.4 & windows 7 on HP Probook 4530s"

i followed your instruction:
First of all, here are the steps to get gptsync.
1) Run Linux from your Live CD/USB, I used 12.04LTS (Precise Pangolin)
2) Find the Ubuntu Software Center (it is 8 icons down from top - the "shopping bag")
3) Go into Edit.Software Sources (you will need to move the mouse to the top of the screen to allow the menu bar to appear)
4) Check 'Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe), close the dialog, then close the Software Center app.
5) Now get into terminal by going to Dash Home (top icon) and typing 'Term' (it will do a spotlight-like search)
6) Once in terminal, first type:
sudo apt-get update
7) Then type:
sudo apt-get install gptsync
(Step 6 is not mentioned in many of the guides you will find, but evidently you have to do it otherwise the system will tell you that gptsync was not found)
Now you have gptsync installed on your system.
8) Now you can run gptsync
gptsync /dev/sda

but instead ".... .... Status: MBR table must be updated.... .... "

I got this directly ".... .... Status: Tables are synchronized, no need to sync.... ...."

Or is it a different problem ?

What happened here? Could some one help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back