Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Lion on the 4530s Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
fiddymac said:
gmukharji said:
have tried partitioning several times in several ways including GPT but the results remain the same :banghead: however i have to reformat it again if i want to reload the original win 7 it came with,,,,

Yes I have, and i just tried to run 10.7.0, and kp on installer before i could even run the installer, this is really starting to get frustrating, I had an easier time running this on a Asus motherboard that had nearly no support with a e6600 processor, and ATI radeon card. I actually bought this particular laptop just because of the Hackintosh appeal, otherwise i would have definitely got something different... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Is there a place i can get the kexts that come in the HP installer and multibeast, as i think if i can inject them just after the install using terminal, i can get this to work, but i will need the necessary kexts... Something along the lines of how it was done Here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=64202&p=411076#p411076
You can extract all the kexts that are being installed from the HP Installer (or multibeast, for that matter) by using Pacifist.

Hopefully, you will hear from someone that has the exact same laptop as you. Are you sure it was listed as known working? I purchased my XU015UT just because it was one of the first on the list, even though it didn't have all the features that I might have liked (would have liked to have USB3)... well, that and it was really cheap.

Hello people ,
I want to buy a Probook to install OSX86, as it is described here. But the post here, indeed the entire forum has become confusing, follows that I do not dare to tackle the project . Could you write more closed posts, affecting only the installer and the latest updates , so we could see more clearly what is the current state of affairs. It became difficult to get a clear clue here. For example the manuell installer in Post 3, would be nice with a readme. I have no idea what and how to install them. Its just to much!

Silizium, I kind-of get what you mean about it being confusing, but I don't quite get your request for someone to write 'more closed posts'.

In a way, it's good that the information takes a little time to dig through. People shouldn't get the idea that a laptop hack is simpler than it really is. I've been hackintoshing PC's for some time, but I've always steered people away from laptops. I flat out refuse to do a hack laptop for anyone else, ever. There's just too many potential problems.

Before people go rushing to buy a Probook to run Lion, they should come here and read through these threads first and get an idea of what they'll be taking on. I did so for a month before I finally decided to get a Probook. This thread wasn't that much smaller then.

I'm sure to the people figuring all this stuff out on their own time for free, it gets annoying when people who haven't read enough come here and immediately start posting new threads about how their Probook doesn't work right, when you get the feeling they probably could have figured it out by doing a little more research first.

Not trying to sound like a dick, and not talking about you personally, just in general. I recommend reading through the most relevant threads here. I don't agree that it's "too much" to find the latest info, you just have to dig a little. It's worth it not to be another of the people clouding up the forum complaining that things don't work, and making even more for others to have to sift through.

Just wondering when blueking is going to come back and update the installer?

I do partitially agree with you and see your position. But from my own experience I must say that I really, really understand the user silizium. You talk about reading thru the most relevant threads, but how do you know which info is essentiall? There is no sticky or subforum with essential information and all of the really relevant threads dissapear to the depths of this forum after some time of inactivity. So how should a noob know which threads to read?

Also I disagree with the statement that they shall read theirselfes thru the whoule threads to understand all about the process. If the whole world would think this way, there wouldn´t be any books, schools or other tools/institutions which share essential knowledge. The knowledge about some topic has always to be taken together to save time and only tell the really relevant information (background info optional). Otherwise the Probook-Installer would also be unnecessary, because it´s in fact a tool which takes together discovered information of the threads here to make it as easy as possible for everyone.

A primitive example: You know how to make fire because you got teached and there you only got teached the essential information (take stick and rubb it against wood or simply take a lighter :) ). If you would have to read 20 threads with wide spread information in forum to know how to make it, trust me you would give up or ask already asked questions. Thats the status the newbies have here.

So my oppinion is that someone has to make some threads with a step by step guide and explain things. Blueking´s intention was to make such threads, because he built a FAQ and other things. All this takes is time and it is just laziness which prevents all of us to make it. So everyone has to be a litte self-critical.

I´ll start writing some information thread when I´ve got some time.

@zaptoons
Here you have again a pretty good example on showing how good structured and neat the forum actually is:
jcarlo said:
Just wondering when blueking is going to come back and update the installer?

@jcarlo
Please read THIS thread. There is already a new version out, thanks to the effords of user tegezee.

Well, I got my LJ518UT running, on 10.7.3, but its still very baseline, the only thing i've been able to get fully working is the graphics (first try with the Intel HD driver for my system type, i7 2630qm, could only boot to blue screen, then booted -x flag, manually deleted Intel HD 3000 files, not kexts from /System/Library/Extensions, and rebooted normal, and now its working), I will continue to do what i can to get audio, and the rest (especially sleep, that killed me last night, comp went to sleep, and couldn't wake it up). Also, can someone give some insight as to the process of getting chimera to work, when i boot without my USB, It shows boot0 test a bunch of times, and two of them in the list shows boot0 GPT, but still fails to boot, then the last one is boot0 error... Anyway, I'm currently hackintoshed with 10.7.3 on a HP Probook, but dare not update till i at least get everything else running, and have a backup...

For the life of me, I can't seem to get the Audio working, I've tried Universal, I've tried every Audio driver (deleting them as i go since unsuccessful). I'm unsure what to try next... Could it be my dsdt.aml file causing issues? Does anyone out there have a HP Probook i7 2630qm with a working audio and DSDT.aml file?

Likemike said:
I do partitially agree with you and see your position. But from my own experience I must say that I really, really understand the user silizium. You talk about reading thru the most relevant threads, but how do you know which info is essentiall? There is no sticky or subforum with essential information and all of the really relevant threads dissapear to the depths of this forum after some time of inactivity. So how should a noob know which threads to read?
I don't know what can be done about that other than this subforum having its own sticky threads in addition to the Announcements section.

I tend to go by the fact that a lot of the most current and relevant info will probably be in threads from the last month or so, if not, then referenced in those threads to earlier posts. So just skimming through posts from the last month or so, one is easily able to find all the latest relevant information- both from reading guide threads and from reading troubleshooting threads. It's always a good idea to read troubleshooting threads in case one finds themselves in the same predicament as someone else. (Highly likely with a laptop Hack.)

So noobs will tend to be diggng through the threads anyway to figure out what goes wrong, or clouding up the forum with posts and (worse) more new threads shouting "Something went wrong!" and just pushing all the info down that much farther. What if every day 3 or 4 new people create new "Something went wrong!" threads with the same problems repeated over and over again? How much more to sift through does that create?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all that things could be easier to find, I'm definitely not against information being easier to find and more widely available. But I also don't consider a laptop hack to be the best 'noob' project for anyone that's never dealt with Hackintosh issues before, thinks that it's always going to be one-click simple as with an actual MacBook, and is the type that will create a new thread every time they encounter the slightest hiccup, rather than at least attempt to seek out and find the answers for their own problems first.

Also I disagree with the statement that they shall read theirselfes thru the whoule threads to understand all about the process. If the whole world would think this way, there wouldn´t be any books, schools or other tools/institutions which share essential knowledge. The knowledge about some topic has always to be taken together to save time and only tell the really relevant information (background info optional).
I get what you're saying, but disagree strongly with the comparisons. My position doesn't ask anyone to re-invent the wheel, or figure out how to make fire from scratch all over again. Just to take a little more effort to seek out the information that's already there.

One can easily look at dates here, and updates to posts to know that something posting in 2011 is probably not as relevant as something posted in June 2012, as far as all the knowledge that's been learned since. Still, people come here (I did) and use the guide first written in 2011 to set up a ProBook in 2012- plus additional information from throughout the thread. (It's also not that hard to find the latest info in a long thread and discount the steps between- just read the first page guide, skip to the end, and backtrack through problems and solutions with the latest methods.) And now one can start with the new 4.0 guide.

Do you have to know every troubleshooting development that's happened in between? No, but then what if you run smack into one of the known problems and you haven't even bothered to read up on the possibility of it? I had my wifi not working- I had read this was a potential problem already and knew to get the right wifi chip. I also couldn't boot the initial installer on my Probook for 10.7.3 until I found a trail of others having the same problem, and backtracked through this thread until I found it solved. Others will likely encounter the graphic glitch problems, and problems with 8GB of RAM, with 10.7.4, with certain BIOS revs and models, etc. How to solve? Start a new thread and complain... or do some reading?

Hey great, if you or others want to make threads that should be stickys collecting the most up to date info making things easier, I'm all for it and will appreciate it. Just saying that I still don't believe this is something noobs should run out and by a ProBook before they read these new threads, or sift through the old ones, so they know what to expect and a few pitfalls to avoid.

I want to try OS X too, but unfortunately, my HDD is formatted with MBR partition table.

As I don't want to reformat it, I did some research, and found this:
See step 2

May this work on my 4530s? If there's any way to install it to MBR partition table, I want to do it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back