Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try the same setup (two bluetooth input devices plus bluetooth audio) on a regular Mac or, say, with the same device but using "proper" drivers under windows? It should not cause any trouble, but I once also hat similar problems using three bluetooth devices (one of them bluetooth speakers) on a regular iMac. Although it did not result in instant reboot, but the stuttering was there, too.

There are some posts that if you use the Mac Pro profile (which I assume you do if you have an Nvidia card) the performance suffers compared to using an iMac profile. This would explain your experience with the benchmarks.

I have no idea if FCP uses the GPU for rendering? So there might be a trade-off. Maybe you could investigate if it is possible to use the iMac profile together with the Nvidia card when you use the Nvidia web drivers or something like that.
Have you been able to get your AMD R9 270x to work with El capitan? If not, how do you disable it?

I've installed according to the guide. As far as I can tell the only issue I'm having is it will not wake the monitor from sleep. I've tried both HDMI ports to no avail. I am going from HDMI to a DVI monitor if that might be an issue. I even tried the terminal command to stop standby but it hasn't worked.

Are you use the HD530 graphics? If so, sleep/wake won't work.

Does continuity work with the specific card you mentioned? I'm having a hard time finding the right wifi/bt card.

Hey I'm having some issues booting up my system with basically the same exact specs as you Stefan72. The only difference is I'm just going to use the integrated graphics on the board. Do you think you or anyone else could help me out?

I followed all the steps on this guide and got all the way to the clover boot loader menu. Once in the menu it turned a blue color and didn't like I have seen it before. I continued as if it was normal. It resets and then returned back to clover where I press enter again to boot up and it does the same thing over and over again. I have really been struggling with this so anything will help.

Thanks.

Hey AMMulder ,

Nice guide to build a hackingtosh mac mini....

I am about to build one myself but i have some questions.

1. What kind of case are you using ?
2. Can I use my LG monitor with 3440x1440 resolution on the integrated graphics or does that nit work ?
3. I am looking into using a m2 ssd from samsung (SM951) but does macos support this with this config ?

Thanks alot for your help

1. What kind of case are you using ?
2. Can I use my LG monitor with 3440x1440 resolution on the integrated graphics or does that nit work ?
3. I am looking into using a m2 ssd from samsung (SM951) but does macos support this with this config ?

1. At the moment I have it in a Cooler Master Elite 110 case, but any Mini-ITX case will probably do.
2. I haven't tried a resolution like that. I think there were a couple people talking about it toward the end of the Broadwell NUC thread in this forum, but that would be with Broadwell integrated graphics.
3. It should work with the SM951. I just swapped out my NVMe drive for an AHCI model because of the annoying crashes with the third-party NVMe driver -- so I recommend the AHCI version of the SM951. But you can use the NVMe version with that driver if you're willing to put up with the crashes and etc.

Hi Ammulder,

Thanks for your reply , it's appriciated ;)

I still am thinking about what to do regarding graphics but I am leaning towards a dedicated graphics card because I want Displayport.

Anyhow thanks again for your help !

El Capitan on the GA-H170N-WIFI
This guide assumes you are installing from scratch.

Install Windows 10
Start from the working El Capitan install above, and:
  1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Select your El Capitan drive (not the partition underneath it)
  3. Select Partition
  4. Hit the + to add a new partition for Windows, and drag the pie chart slider until the two partitions are sized appropriately
  5. Leave the format of the new partition as OS X Extended (Journaled).
  6. Hit Apply
  7. With the Windows USB drive attached, restart the hackintosh
  8. If the BIOS does not boot the USB drive first, hit F12 and select the USB drive (you want the UEFI entry in order to be able to install to a GPT drive)
  9. Install Windows. When you get to the pick a disk partition screen, select the partition you created for Windows above (easiest to identify by size, usually). Delete the partition, then format it. When it prompts you that Windows may create extra partitions, that's OK. Then select the new big partition it created to install to.
  10. After the first reboot during the Windows install, if your hackintosh is set to boot USB devices first, you will need to remove the USB drive. If you missed it and you're back at the "choose a language" installer screen, remove the USB and reboot to boot to the new install and continue the process.
  11. After the Windows install completes and leaves you at the desktop, go to Settings / Update & security / Windows Update and install all available updates. (You can skip this, but you'll probably have more work later if you do because the updates may break the boot loader.)

Fix Dual Booting
  1. At this point, the machine will be booting only to Windows. Insert your El Capitan install USB drive and restart. Use F12 if needed to boot to the USB.
  2. You should see a Clover menu. Select Boot Mac OS X from YourDriveName.
  3. Once in OS X, mount your EFI partition with EFI Mounter v3
  4. Go to the EFI partition
  5. Go to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
  6. Copy EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
  7. Eject the El Capitan install USB drive
  8. Reboot
  9. You should get a Clover menu, with the usual settings to boot to OS X and also new Windows options. To start Windows, select Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI.
  10. After future Windows updates, Windows may reset the EFI partition to boot only to Windows again. You'll need to repeat the steps in this section.
You should now be able to boot to both Windows and OS X!

Hello, first off, Thank you for this guide! I am having an issue getting back onto OS X after windows 10 install. Currently from within Clover boot menu, I see two NTFS folders and I could boot onto windows from "Boot Microsoft EFI Boot Menu from EFI".

Issue is now I do not see my OS X Partition. I have followed your guide above and inserted my multi beast created OSX installer USB. Now, I currently see NTFS, NTFS, External, Recover HD. When I click on External to boot from Installer USB, I am hit with the blocked / cancel symbol.

EDIT: If I change to the boot options > smbios > product name and board version from iMac17,1 to iMac 14,2 I am able to at least see apple logo and loading bar after clicking external, but then blocked symbol eventually shows again.

Last edited:
I am looking to get a Titan X on this build. I already have a 970, is it a case of just swapping them out and I am good to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back