Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I successfully installed El Capitan on my machine, but have some things that need to be worked out. I've been looking for answers here but can't seem to find anything that works.

Specs are:
Gigabyte H170-WIFI Motherboard
Intel i5-6500 Processor
Ballistix 16GB Ram DDR4

This is my first build so I'm wondering if maybe I missed a step or did something wrong during the Post Installation Configuration.

-Audio not working via headphone jack
-Ethernet Port not working
-"About This Mac" says I only have 8GB of RAM when I actually have 16GB, it also has the wrong speed listed for my processor
-Haven't tried WiFi yet because my Dell Card hasn't showed up in the mail yet.
-The machine seems to freeze for a few seconds before it shuts down. Is that normal?

I went back to Clover Configurator to try and fix this stuff but nothing seems to be working. The one thing that I seemed to fix was the Reboot after being shut down.

Is there a way to wipe the system and start over? Or is this something that is relatively easy to fix as it is now?

Appreciate any feedback!
We're using the same hardware, just built mine yesterday.

I believe I fixed my ethernet port by placing IntelMausiEthernet.kext inside Library/Extensions manually, not certain though as I tried a few things. Make sure you're using the ethernet port that isn't next to the USB-C port.

Audio ports worked fine for me following the guide and using ALC1150 on Multibeast.

Having the same problem with "About This Mac" though, wondering if this is just a cosmetic issue though?

Having the same problem with "About This Mac" though, wondering if this is just a cosmetic issue though?
  1. Go to the SMBIOS in the Config.plist file
  2. Set the Size and Frequency for each of the two memory entries to match your installed RAM. If you know the vendor, part, and serial for your memory you can edit those fields too (if not, just leave them as is). Leave the two memory entries set for slots 0 and 2 and the slot count set for 4 even though the board only has two slots (Clover wants to see slots 0 and 2 configured to treat the memory as dual-channel).
  3. Make sure you also select Memory type at the bottom right DDR4 or whatever the spec is for your memory type
  4. Save Config.plist and after a reboot the correct memory should show
This is an issue with Clover right now.

Last edited:
When booting with nvda_drv=1 my system freezes or gets stuck during boot. Sometimes it boots without issues(around 20% of the time).

When booting with nv_disable=1 the system boots 100% of the time without issues but without graphics acceleration.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB and have installed the Nvidia web drivers(10.11.5 version). Also using the Config.plist for Nvidia specific cards given in this guide.

So not sure where else to check to resolve the issue.

Last edited:

I believe I fixed my ethernet port by placing IntelMausiEthernet.kext inside Library/Extensions manually, not certain though as I tried a few things. Make sure you're using the ethernet port that isn't next to the USB-C port.

Audio ports worked fine for me following the guide and using ALC1150 on Multibeast.

Great, thanks I'll try this later. You're referring to the ethernet port that is not the one right on top of the USB-C port? I should be using the one with the two USB slots below it right? Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to install this on my SSD it. I've followed all of the steps 100% and when I try to boot the installation drive, once at 50% of the progress bar, my screen goes black and my screen says No Signal. Anyone? :(

I'm trying to install this on my SSD it. I've followed all of the steps 100% and when I try to boot the installation drive, once at 50% of the progress bar, my screen goes black and my screen says No Signal. Anyone? :(

Hard to tell without any information about what you are doing, what graphics card you are using, etc. Are you using the integrated graphics? Are you using the DVI port or connect two displays using HDMI? Those things seem to make trouble. Try using HDMI and then try both different HDMI ports.

I'm following it step by step but when i try to instal i get stuck either at PCI configuration or just after rooting via boot ..... and usb seems to be inactive , i think it might have something to do with that 3.0 and theres no other once to use , i also copied usb kext he mentioned to the location but nothing :(

You should discuss that in the appropriate thread and not here.

Great, thanks I'll try this later. You're referring to the ethernet port that is not the one right on top of the USB-C port? I should be using the one with the two USB slots below it right? Thanks for your help.
Disable the one next to the usb c port all together so you don't get confused, if you came here from snazzy labs channel then in one of his periscopes he said it cuases a kernel panic attack, so use the one that's below the two USB ports.

So would the config file posted in the guide work for the Z170 variation of this board? More specifically the GA-Z170N-WIFI? Also, is the USBInjectAll.kext still required as of multibeast 8.2.2? Thanks!

I was wondering if you did anything else to get the ethernet port working. I tried placing in Library/Extensions but i get an error saying system extension cannot be used.

build
i5 6600
samsung ssd 850 evo m2
ripjaw 4 series ram ddr4 - 2400 ( some reason showing up as 3200 in about my mac)
h170n
do not have wifi card yet but did install the kext for the wifi card on this list

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back