Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed fresh using the updated guide. Works great now except for some minor things. The kernel panics and endless hit or miss reboots I was experiencing on 10.11.3 seem to have been a carry-over from importing docs via Migration Assistant from 10.11.2, which worked poorly to begin with. Life lesson: always untick 'copy other documents and folders', kids. System now boots 100% reliably.

Small issues:
* Shutting computer down causes it to shut down, but then reboots (essentially performs a restart). Ideas?
* Can't seem to change the resolution in the clover menu and apple boot screen. It is in a stretched horribly low VESA res mode. Have a 4096x2160 screen and it would be nice to have that res, but just 1920x1080 would be a win right now (or a 17:9 resolution even better).

Thanks again for all your great work ammulder!

Installed fresh using the updated guide. Works great now except for some minor things. The kernel panics and endless hit or miss reboots I was experiencing on 10.11.3 seem to have been a carry-over from importing docs via Migration Assistant from 10.11.2, which worked poorly to begin with. Life lesson: always untick 'copy other documents and folders', kids. System now boots 100% reliably.

Small issues:
* Shutting computer down causes it to shut down, but then reboots (essentially performs a restart). Ideas?
* Can't seem to change the resolution in the clover menu and apple boot screen. It is in a stretched horribly low VESA res mode. Have a 4096x2160 screen and it would be nice to have that res, but just 1920x1080 would be a win right now (or a 17:9 resolution even better).

Thanks again for all your great work ammulder!

For
I resolved mine by editing config.plist by checking the option under ACPI(Clover configurator) "FixShutdown"

For
* Can't seem to change the resolution in the clover menu and apple boot screen. It is in a stretched horribly low VESA res mode. Have a 4096x2160 screen and it would be nice to have that res, but just 1920x1080 would be a win right now (or a 17:9 resolution even better

I believe u can change it under GUI option(Clover configurator) "Screen Resolution"

As for me I am having issues time to time during starting up. Just go through a boot loop even before seeing the Bios screen. Sometimes it boot without issues and all works great. Just cannot resolve the Boot loop at the initial power on. Anyone has a solution please let me know.

TIA.

Thanks Yoji.

Will try the "Fix Shutdown" option. Edit: this solved it (duh!)

I've changed the resolution under GUI and in the config.plist itself but it doesn't do anything. Also tried installing the CsmVideoDxe driver to no avail. Edit: Success! Did the suggestions by Discreetlogic in this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/bootloaders/150101-clover-bootloader-screen-resolution.html#post1097987

Do you get any error messages when it boot loops? Boot loop before you even see BIOS doesn't sound good. Have you tried resetting to default BIOS settings and then making all the necessary changes as per ammulders guide to see if that resolves it?

Last edited:
Thanks Yoji.

Will try the "Fix Shutdown" option. Edit: this solved it (duh!)

I've changed the resolution under GUI and in the config.plist itself but it doesn't do anything. Also tried installing the CsmVideoDxe driver to no avail. Edit: Success! Did the suggestions by Discreetlogic in this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/bootloaders/150101-clover-bootloader-screen-resolution.html#post1097987

Do you get any error messages when it boot loops? Boot loop before you even see BIOS doesn't sound good. Have you tried resetting to default BIOS settings and then making all the necessary changes as per ammulders guide to see if that resolves it?

Good to hear you were able to resolve most issues.

Seems like downgrading bios from 4c to 3 so far seemed to have resolved it.
Will monitor how things go.

Thanks.

Yoji

Has anyone else had issues with NVRAM not saving between reboots?

I've tried everything and can't figure out why it isn't saving. I am using a Fusion drive, but also broke the Core Storage and tested.... same outcome. I'm wondering if the motherboard isn't passing NVRAM to Clover. I have attached my boot log. View attachment bootlog.log.txt

[EDIT 1] When I broke the drives into two seperate volumes, I created a nvram.plist which imported during boot. However, I don't think this is the way it is supposed to work since NVRAM would/could change and the plist is static.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam

[EDIT 2] I think I may have figured it out. In the full Clover V2 installer, it gives the option to install the rc.scripts and preference pane. In the preference pane, there are settings for handling NVRam. I'll update the results after some testing. :)

Ok so I have used the z170-wifi board for a month now and I keep getting random shutdowns.
Specs:

z170-wifi
i5 6600k
Evga 650ti boost
8gb dd4 ram

I have found that it happens when I am on Facebook or Youtube or work in Sketch,Photoshop and Illustrator. I believe my video card is the issue but I can't test it because I don't have another card.

How do you know if it is the card or if it is a plist? Can I use console or another program to tell?

Ok so I have used the z170-wifi board for a month now and I keep getting random shutdowns.
Specs:

z170-wifi
i5 6600k
Evga 650ti boost
8gb dd4 ram

I have found that it happens when I am on Facebook or Youtube or work in Sketch,Photoshop and Illustrator. I believe my video card is the issue but I can't test it because I don't have another card.

How do you know if it is the card or if it is a plist? Can I use console or another program to tell?

What BIOS version are you on? The console might give you some info. You may want to dual boot over to Windows and see if you start having issues.

Are you overclocking?

I am sorry if I missed this but I was wondering if the integrated bluetooth of this board should work on El Capitan? The guide in post #1 only says that WiFi is not working.

If bluetooth does not work with the integrated board (I tried, and out of the box it doesn't), does the bluetooth that comes with the suggested wifi/bluetooth adapter work flawlessly? In Germany, the adapter is almost 40€ and I only want it for bluetooth as I am using the ethernet port for my network connection.

Or are there any other clever alternatives (bluetooth alone would be sufficient)? Thank you for your feedback!

What BIOS version are you on? The console might give you some info. You may want to dual boot over to Windows and see if you start having issues.

Are you overclocking?

I am on F7. I will check on the windows side.

I did try to play a game, Rust and its freezes the computer on me.

Would that be a SSD issue or Graphics?
What should I look for in the Console?

I am on F7. I will check on the windows side.

I did try to play a game, Rust and its freezes the computer on me.

Would that be a SSD issue or Graphics?
What should I look for in the Console?

It sounds like graphics to me, since the everything you do accesses the SSD, but only gaming puts a load on the graphics card, I'm thinking you'd be freezing a lot more if it was the SSD.

I'm not sure what you'd look for in the console. Maybe something NVidia related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back