Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thank you ammulder for the great guide!

So far got the unit to boot and graphics working.

My setup:

GA-H170N-WIFI
CPU Core i7-6700
CORSAIR DDR4 VENGEANCE LPX Series 8GB×2
Crucial 500GB SSD MX200 M.2
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX960
CRYORIG CPU M9i Cooler

Current issues:
- RAM only shows as 8GB in About this Mac though 16GB shows in Bios (current bios 4C)
- Everytime shutting down the unit restarts it in about 3 seconds after shutting down
- Audio option only shows Display port audio of monitor and no option for onboard audio

If anyone has similar issues and got a solutions please let me know.
TIA

Yoji

Are you using integrated graphics or a separate video card?

What connection type does your monitor use?

I use the iGPU with DVI Port.
When I'm using the HDMI Port, everything works fine.

- RAM only shows as 8GB in About this Mac though 16GB shows in Bios (current bios 4C)
- Everytime shutting down the unit restarts it in about 3 seconds after shutting down
- Audio option only shows Display port audio of monitor and no option for onboard audio

The release of Clover we're using doesn't detect DDR4 correctly, so you'll need to put the memory speed/size in the SMBIOS settings in config.plist.

The restart problem is often with BIOS settings. You want to disable wake on LAN and wake on USB and things like that. I don't have the board in front of me to be more specific though.

For audio make sure you have the HDAS to HDEF patch in config.plist. Then if you install the ALC1150 with MultiBeast or with toleda's script you should be fine.

Hi ammulder,

Thanks for the great guide! Was able to get everything up and running without much issue. I've noticed a peculiar bug when it comes to the system suspending/going to sleep: the audio no longer works/is distorted after waking back up. Do you have any ideas why this might be occuring?

A big thanks for this tutorial... I've got El Capitan running on my Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP mainboard with a I6500 CPU and nVidia 660 GTX video card on HDMI *and* DVI dual screen, with audio on HDMI!

I do have one question though... You have us copying the USBInjectAll.kext file to our desktop, but I don't see where we use this file. Did I miss something? What am I supposed to do with this? Are we finished with this file after running KextBeast?

Again, a BIG thanks!

Now I have to start doing some testing to see what does and what doesn't work.

You have us copying the USBInjectAll.kext file to our desktop, but I don't see where we use this file. Did I miss something? What am I supposed to do with this? Are we finished with this file after running KextBeast?

Yes, sorry, KextBeast looks for kexts on the Desktop and installs them. I must have forgotten the "now delete the kexts from the Desktop" step afterward. :)

Use RehabMan's CodecCommander.kext or the modified version from this post

The modified version works on my MSI Z170A Krait

But strangely I need to adjust volume a bit to get audio back after sleep

For convenience you can add volume
However,at the first time I tried the modified kext it works perfectly without the needing to adjust:beachball:

I'll report back if I find the full solution

Hey,

I am trying to install OS X el capitan the first time ever (10.11.4), my first mackintosh build, so do not really know mackintosh very well.

I followed your guide fully for the bootable usb and installation, but I get "service exited with abnormal code: 255" straight after missing Bluetooth transport line. and if not in verbose i get the progress bar bit more halfway through with the frozen rainbow spinning circle.

I have tried the big list of solutions page, however none worked. I tried to boot in -v -x nv_disable=1, have moved fakesmc to other. I think I literally tried everything. However nothing has ever worked.

Please help me with any suggestions!
Thanks!

Gigabyte Z170M D3H
I5 6600K
Gigabyte GTX960

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back