Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Skylake H170N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ammulder,

Attaching pics of panic and of a verbose boot (right before spontaneous re-boot).

Will try the suggestion of removing AppleIGB as I'm using IntelMausiEtherenet now anyway, which works great. No drops and works after sleep etc. Had real problems with Ethernet before you suggested that one a while back.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    761.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 97
I bailed on the AppleIGB driver (I found it in /Library/Extensions) and installed the Mausi one and moved to the other Ethernet port. It booted nicely twice in a row, but then took one extra recycle the last reboot.

As for Ethernet connectivity, it has cut out a couple of times after sitting idle for a while, but came back after the first cut out. I had to reboot to revive it the second time.

It's getting closer I think...

Thanks a bunch for the help, ammulder! The writeup was superb and you've been a huge help!

View attachment AppleGraphicsControl.kext.zip
View attachment AppleGraphicsControl.kext.zip

Hi ammulder! This has been a great guide. I got most of my system working.

z170n-wifi
i5-6600k
EVGA 650TI boost

Wifi/BT - works, choppy but I am using nv_disable=1 so that could be causing it. Tends to cut out sometimes when left alone over a minute.
Boots without UniBeast
No need for audio kext - ACDisplay with audio

The issue I am dealing with is the AppleGraphicsControl.kext. I copied to my desktop, edited the file, then used KextBeast to add it back to /System/Library/Extensions and I still get a black screen on boot

What am I doing wrong?

I normally just edit it in-place with "sudo emacs /System/Library/.../Info.plist"

If you're not familiar with emacs, the guide here has full directions for editing it in-place with nano (see fix #4).

When you run the kextcache commands afterward, you should see some output that says certain kexts aren't signed or have signature errors, and AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext should be one of them. But you should not see any complaints about permission problems, and you should not get a pop-up saying something was installed improperly.

Worst case, you can switch your SMBIOS system definition to MacPro3,1 (using Clover Configurator) and that shouldn't have the black screen issue. It just happens that the Skylake system definitions are affected by it.

View attachment 177492
View attachment 177492

Hi ammulder! This has been a great guide. I got most of my system working.

z170n-wifi
i5-6600k
EVGA 650TI boost

Wifi/BT - works, choppy but I am using nv_disable=1 so that could be causing it. Tends to cut out sometimes when left alone over a minute.
Boots without Unibeast
No need for audio kext - ACDisplay with audio

The issue I am dealing with is the AppleGraphicsControl.kext. I copied to my desktop, edited the file, then used KextBeast to add it back to /System/Library/Extensions and I still get a black screen on boot

What am I doing wrong?

I tried this
cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleGraphicsControl.kext/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

I got this

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 3.39.16 PM.png

I normally just edit it in-place with "sudo emacs /System/Library/.../Info.plist"

If you're not familiar with emacs, the guide here has full directions for editing it in-place with nano (see fix #4).

When you run the kextcache commands afterward, you should see some output that says certain kexts aren't signed or have signature errors, and AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext should be one of them. But you should not see any complaints about permission problems, and you should not get a pop-up saying something was installed improperly.

Worst case, you can switch your SMBIOS system definition to MacPro3,1 (using Clover Configurator) and that shouldn't have the black screen issue. It just happens that the Skylake system definitions are affected by it.

I don't think I need to go to MacPro3,1. Let me do it in terminal and see what I get.

I don't think I need to go to MacPro3,1. Let me do it in terminal and see what I get.

I tried the terminal approach. I did the permissions repair. Got the error message. Deleted the AppleGraphicsControl.kext from folder. Ran permissions repair again. Got an error:

Unknown:Extensions CCannon$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo kextcache -Boot -U /
rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AppleIGB.kext
NVDAResman.kext - dependency 'com.apple.AppleGraphicsDeviceControl' not found.
NVDAResman.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
NVDAGK100Hal.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
GeForce.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
Prelink failed for com.apple.nvidia.driver.NVDAResman; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.nvidia.driver.NVDAGK100Hal; omitting from prelinked kernel.
Prelink failed for com.apple.GeForce; omitting from prelinked kernel.
/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel not cached.

Tried KextBeast to install the kext back into /S/L/E. Ran permission repair. Didn't get the error message, but I did not see it show up once I clear cache

Unknown:~ ME$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakePCIID.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext AppleIGB.kext

OK, try the terminal method now. Make sure you run the editor with sudo so you preserve root permissions on the file. Then see how you make out.

HA! Worked! Thank you sir!:clap:

Hi,

I've just tried this on my Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 3 setup, with 16GB RAM and an Nvidia GTX 760.

The only issues I can see at present are that it's giving me the incorrect graphics card in the "About this Mac" window and only one of the three monitors is working. Also I can only boot into OS X if I boot from the USB stick.

I'm sure I've seen solutions to both of these issues, and I'll look tomorrow, because I need sleep now, but I just wanted to say thanks a million. This guide was, and you are amazing!

:D

Quick update: I've sorted out the graphics issue, which I did using the Clover configuration app. the only thing that's not playing nice is the USB port at the back of the machine. I've plugged an old USB keyboard into the front socket for now, until I get a chance to look at this. If anyone has seen this before and feels like commenting that would be great.

Thanks again,

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back