Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi petrox and ammulder,

just got my HW and installed it all following the great guide here!

All is working except for the M.2 disk which I saw once on Disk Utility, I tried to format it like the primary SSD SATA3 disk but if failed to unmount. Now I cannot see it any longer?

Anything special I need to consider to see this disk and format it? Any BIOS setting? Anything to patch on El Capitan?

It's strange as I can only see the SATA3 on the BIOS and not the M.2....

I have tried to unplug and plug again the M.2 and BIOS recognises it but the same thing happens when I try to Erase and format the partition!

My intention is to later install W10 here but I am concerned El Capitan cannot see it now!

Thanks in advance!
Juan

Setup a perfect system right now by the guide, can't be happier, thanks guys!

Intel nuc 5i5ryh. 8gbx2 crucial, 500gb crucial ssd.

install pretty smooth, there was stop sign after 1st pass reboot, tried several more times, it passes and everything goes well.

have to turn off legacy boot when install windows 10, or you'll get partition problem.

after first boot of el capitan, the graphic card doesn't work correctly on my 34inch dell 3415w monitor, after reboot, the resolution setup correctly and very beautiful.

turn on on-board bluetooth in bios, it turns out el capitan recognize it, but can't pair. install additional bluetooth driver by suggestion in this thread, it works!

tried wifi usb adapter from tp-link, but none of them allowed be installed on el capitan, by suggestion from ammulder, found a realteak driver online, it works perfectly now. both WN725N and AC1200 works no problem.

All is working except for the M.2 disk which I saw once on Disk Utility, I tried to format it like the primary SSD SATA3 disk but if failed to unmount. Now I cannot see it any longer?

Anything special I need to consider to see this disk and format it?

The Disk Utility shipped with El Capitan is pretty buggy. Instead of using Disk Utility to format the disk, you can use diskutil at the command line (e.g. by opening Terminal instead of Disk Utility). You can use diskutil list to figure out which disk is which. Then to format a whole disk as one OS X partition, you can do this:
Code:
diskutil eraseDisk jhfs+ YourDriveName gpt /dev/disk0

(Substitute whatever disk number "diskutil list" shows for the disk in the last parameter.)

If you need more partitions you can consult "man diskutil" -- or just do the partitioning on a different machine. :)

Got this working great on my 5i3RYH and it's been running smooth for a few days but I decided to do the last step and add the audio using the audio_cloverALC-110.command script but now my NUC just keeps rebooting all the time.

Anyway to remove what the audio script has installed?

UPDATE: realised at the same time I'd installed HWSensors with the FakeSMC plugins and it put them into /SLE/, messing up the Clover EFI, deleted /SLE/FakeSMC.kext and it booted fine. Nothing to do with the audio script.

Hey what is that additional bluetooth driver for the onboard NUC bluetooth?

I seem to have the same problem!

thanks a lot!

Hi all,

everytime I shutdown the system from El capitan, the NUC ends up rebooting...

I am on BIOS 348, how can I fix this? It does work ok on Win10 though.

thanks!

Try disabling Wake on LAN in BIOS.

I followed your instructions about BIOS settings where you mentioned this, any additional steps?

Thanks,
Juan

I followed your instructions about BIOS settings where you mentioned this, any additional steps?

Thanks,
Juan
I also had reboot issues when asking it to shutdown. Had to set my monitor to DisplayPort 1.1 instead of 1.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back