Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the Intel Broadwell NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Integrated on board bluetooth? :eek:

Bluetooth worked perfectly for me out of the box, but I guess not for everyone. Similarly, it seems the default headphone audio output works fine for some but not others.

Bluetooth worked perfectly for me out of the box, but I guess not for everyone. Similarly, it seems the default headphone audio output works fine for some but not others.

On my NUC5i5RYH running 10.11.1 as per ammulder's guide, I can tell you bluetooth works perfectly fine for me. Right now, I have the Amazon Echo connected. It disconnects when the NUC goes to sleep (making a bee-boop sound), and when I wake the NUC back up, it automatically reconnects and the Echo's voice says: "Bluetooth connected!" It's quite... beautiful.

The headphone output works fine too. Again, I just followed the guide, and it just worked! If you read through the NUC 2.0 thread, you can see ammulder, toleda and rehabman have put a lot work into this. I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

Cheers,
S

my intel nun build is working beautifully,many thanks!
but without wifi. so I bought two tp-link usb wifi adapters from amazon. And download driver from their website. unfortunately, the driver installation failed when select destination, "install for all users of this computer" is gray and continue is gray too.
my question is : is any problem to install a hardware directly inside mac os x like other mac machine? why it doesn't work?

View attachment 154744View attachment 154745

Here it is and working. USB dongle is hidden inside the NUC5i7RYH.

Working:
- Bluetooth (just enable it inside the BIOS).
- Wifi D-Link DWA-131 (disable Intel Wifi inside the BIOS).

I'm using the Intel NUC 1.25mm pitch to 2xFemale USB socket cable from pcpartandcables.

===

Great BenjaminLSR!

I just ordered all of the components to build this up on a NUC5i7RYH, including the Wifi D-Link DWA-131 and that adaptor from pcpartandcables.

I have a few questions questions for you if you are so kind to answer:

1. I noticed you did cut off 4 of the most right USB correct? so just leave the most left 4 cables (white, green, red and black). Can you confirm?
2. How good is the USB dongle coverage inside?
3. What is the procedure to install this dongle on El Capitan? is it directly recognized by OSX?

Thanks a lot!

I'm trying to setup bluetooth without success.

On board bluetooth seems recognized by OSX but I can't pair an Apple Wireless Keyboard.

With on board bluetooth disabled and a Belkin dongle (F8T016ng) on a usb port, same results.

What can I do to finally use my Apple Wireless Keyboard?

my intel nun build is working beautifully,many thanks!
but without wifi. so I bought two tp-link usb wifi adapters from amazon. And download driver from their website. unfortunately, the driver installation failed when select destination, "install for all users of this computer" is gray and continue is gray too.
my question is : is any problem to install a hardware directly inside mac os x like other mac machine? why it doesn't work?

It probably depends on the chip and driver. I have an Edimax AC-1200 USB wireless adapter with a Realtek RTL8812AU chip. Realtek has built an El Capitan-compatible driver, but most vendors (including Edimax) are still shipping an older version. In that pre-El Capitan version, every option is greyed out and you can run through the entire install but it does nothing at all. I had to Google around until I found an unofficial download link for the compatible version. So... depending on your chip, you may need to find a driver that works with El Capitan.

I'm trying to setup bluetooth without success.

On board bluetooth seems recognized by OSX but I can't pair an Apple Wireless Keyboard.

I had the same problem with my Broadcom Bluetooth (Bluetooth appeared but couldn't pair), until I got RehabMan's BrcmPatchRAM working (covered in the first post, though you'd have to see if your device has a Broadcom chip that driver works for).

If your device has a non-Broadcom chip, I'm not sure what to say. I think I heard that sometimes using the device once in Windows will load the current firmware and then it will work on Mac, too.

It probably depends on the chip and driver. I have an Edimax AC-1200 USB wireless adapter with a Realtek RTL8812AU chip. Realtek has built an El Capitan-compatible driver, but most vendors (including Edimax) are still shipping an older version. In that pre-El Capitan version, every option is greyed out and you can run through the entire install but it does nothing at all. I had to Google around until I found an unofficial download link for the compatible version. So... depending on your chip, you may need to find a driver that works with El Capitan.
Thanks, I'll try d-link 171.

I had the same problem with my Broadcom Bluetooth (Bluetooth appeared but couldn't pair)...

Hi ammulder,

after several attempts, only Belkin dongle (F8T016ng) works well, even in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back