Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the GA-H87N-WIFI with GT 740

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a similar setup but with GTX 760 instead, and using the recommended chasis in the Buyer's guide.

Which port did you use for your USB3 device?

I was able to get the extended USB3 ports near the power button working but I couldn't get the blue ones at the back to work with my USB3 thumb drive. It doesn't even show up in the System Information at all. I tried editing kext files and modifying DSDTs, but there was no effect. If I installed the Dummy XHCI kext, I lost USB3 totally, but I was able to detect the thumb drive in USB2 mode.

I was able to get the extended USB3 ports near the power button working but I couldn't get the blue ones at the back to work with my USB3 thumb drive. It doesn't even show up in the System Information at all. I tried editing kext files and modifying DSDTs, but there was no effect. If I installed the Dummy XHCI kext, I lost USB3 totally, but I was able to detect the thumb drive in USB2 mode.

Hmm, you're right, I've only been using the ones near the power button (though my keyboard works with one on the back). Let me try without the DSDT.

OK, I updated the first post with an updated DSDT.aml that enables USB3 on the rear ports as well. If you copy that to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and reboot you should be good.

Thanks for this guide. Wonder if DSDT.aml is necessary for Z77-DS3H ? If so can someone share it with us ? ;)

Thanks for this guide. Wonder if DSDT.aml is necessary for Z77-DS3H ? If so can someone share it with us ? ;)
Post your request either in the El Capitan Desktop Support forum section (not the Guides section here) or in the DSDT forum section. This thread is for ammulder's H98N configuration only.

OK, I updated the first post with an updated DSDT.aml that enables USB3 on the rear ports as well. If you copy that to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and reboot you should be good.

Thanks! I tried your new DSDT.aml and the USB3 ports now worked. However, the rear ports for keyboard/mouse no longer work. Neither keyboard, mouse, nor USB3 devices are detected at that port. What did you modified for the DSDT?

Meanwhile I'll also try to decipher your DSDT to see if there's any clue into why this happened.

Edit: Quick look at your DSDTs, seems that you removed HS05-HS09, HS12-HS15 in XHC. I'll play around with adding/removing entries to see if I can get a combination that works.

Edit2: Manage to find a configuration that works for me. I removed HS12-HS15 while keeping HS05-HS09. My USB3 stick works on the left rear blue ports while my keyboard/mouse ports continue to work. Front USB3 ports continue to work still. I wasn't able to get the right rear blue ports to work. I'm posting my DSDT here if anyone wants to use it.

Attachments

• DSDT.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 112
This set of intructions was spot on, many thanks!

Have a working El Cap install from scratch. Unfortunately my update from Yos to El Cap didnt work too well.

The only think I will say, after dropping in your DSDT.aml caused the two USB2 ports which I normally use for my KB and Mouse, simply stopped. Plugged them into the USB3 ports all all was OK.

That's the only thing that stopped working. So thanks you your time and effort putting this guide together! :-D

OK, new DSDT.aml in post #1 makes the 2 USB2 ports next to the PS/2 port work. Also confirmed that all the 6 USB3 ports (4 on board, 2 on case) work with both USB2 and USB3 devices.

For what it's worth, here's my list of USB ports defined in XHC in the default system DSDT:

HS01-HS04: USB2 devices on USB3 ports
HS05-HS06: (guessing USB2 motherboard header)
HS07-HS08: USB2 ports near PS/2 port
HS09-HS10: USB2 devices on USB3 ports
HS11: Mini-PCIe Bluetooth
HS12-HS15: unused
SSP1-SSP6: USB3 devices on USB3 ports

OK, new DSDT.aml in post #1 makes the 2 USB2 ports next to the PS/2 port work. Also confirmed that all the 6 USB3 ports (4 on board, 2 on case) work with both USB2 and USB3 devices.

I have the Z87N. My USB-ports recognise an USB stick everywhere without DSDT. So why use it, am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back