Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the GA-H87N-WIFI with GT 740

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you dont have access to a Windows machine, you can use terminal to create a Bootable USB

First thing you need is a USB of at least 8 GB, and a Windows 10 ISO image.

Next open and terminal and use
Code:
diskutil list
to find the /dev/disk# in my case, for the USB drive it is disk5. For the rest of this guide I have highlighted 5, as this will be a unique number to your specific setup..

Screenshot 2015-09-14 08.33.19.jpg

Next you want to unmount that disk by entering
Code:
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk[B]5[/B]

Next add

Code:
sudo dd if=
then drag and drop Win10 iso into the terminal window. In my case it was located on the desktop so then in terminal you will see
Code:
sudo dd if=/Volumes/Hackintosh\ HD/El\ Capitan\ Home/[COLOR=#0000FF]yourusername[/COLOR]/Desktop/Win10_English_x64.iso

after that add a space (If its not already there) and type
Code:
of=/dev/disk[B]5[/B] bs=1m
This is what the final command should look like:
Code:
sudo dd if=/Volumes/Hackintosh\ HD/El\ Capitan\ Home/[COLOR=#0000ff]yourusername[/COLOR]/Desktop/Win10_English_x64.iso of=/dev/disk[B]5[/B] bs=1m
Next press enter, its going to ask for your password, enter your password and hit enter. This will start the process

You need to be patient when I first did this on a USB 2.0 it took 39 minutes. This time because i was curious I used a USB 3.0 and it took 21 minutes

When its finished you will see the bytes transferred, the time it took in seconds, and the bytes/sec.

Finally, you have one more step. In terminal you want to type
Code:
diskutil eject /dev/disk[B]5[/B]

Screenshot 2015-09-14 09.19.10.jpg
This will eject the disk, and you can remove it from the USB port. For verification, I reinserted the USB, opened it up, and this is what you should see

Screenshot 2015-09-14 09.34.52.jpg
You now have a bootable Windows 10 USB drive.

Last edited:
I don't have a good reason for using the GT 740. I wanted to run a 4K display and at the time I figured it would go better with non-integrated graphics. But that was based on no evidence at all. Everything worked out well with the 740 and I haven't changed it.

thank you very much , its really good guide and i did make it with my PC
P9X79 Deluxe

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 9.09.32 PM.jpg

Nice write up :thumbup: I considered writing a guide for my board GA-Z77X-UD5H, but seeing as its a few years old, I didnt know how relevant people would find it... What do you think? :think:

I'd like a guide for GA-Z77X-UD5H, especially for audio setting. I installed the Public Beta GM, everything works great, except the audio. I tried all the possible solutions, but nothing working :(
Thanks

Nico

I don't have one to try, but it looks like the GA-Z77X-UD5H has an ALC898 for audio, which should be supported by the audio_cloverALC-110.command script. If you can get back to "clean" audio settings for the GM, I would try that again.

It is supported by that command, and thats exactly what I use to get audio working (originally and after upgrade). Works like a charm. Thank you toleda!

Do you know how I can go back to "clean" state? Because I tried a different things and maybe I updated/replaced some kexts.
Thanks

Nico

To get back to a "clean" state, best case is you backed up AppleHDA.kext before you did anything. If not, see this thread I guess?

You'd also want to see if you have any audio kexts in your EFI partition and remove them, and maybe also have a look at the kext patches in your clover config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back