Contribute
Register

[Guide] El Capitan on the GA-H87N-WIFI with GT 740

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I forgot it even HAD the USB2 ports next to the PS/2 port. Sheesh. I'll try again. :)

Hahaha - yeah, useful to simply plug keyboard and mouse in and leave the good stuff free for doing USB3 things. :D

Thank you very much!

I have the Z87N. My USB-ports recognise an USB stick everywhere without DSDT. So why use it, am I missing something?

I only had USB2 on all ports without the DSDT (USB3 devices were never recognized). If you don't have that problem, don't have USB3 devices, or don't care, then the DSDT has only minor fixes (more power for charging devices, etc.).

I only had USB2 on all ports without the DSDT (USB3 devices were never recognized). If you don't have that problem, don't have USB3 devices, or don't care, then the DSDT has only minor fixes (more power for charging devices, etc.).

I did extensiv testing on all USB ports without DSDT:
USB2: 1 front, 2 back
USB3: 2 front, 4 back
----------------
USB2 stick is recognised on all ports.
-
USB3 -HD (wd elements, 3TB) is recognised on all USB2 ports, runs with 40MB/s.
Only USB3 port front-buttom recognises it, runs with 120MB/s.
--- problem: 5 USB3 ports not recognising USB3 device!
I got it!

So each USB controller is limited to 15 (I think) port IDs in El Capitan. By default the XHC controller has more than that in the DSDT of the H87N-WIFI (15 HS## plus 6 SSP# = 21). Note that each USB3 port requires 2 IDs, one HS## to support USB2 devices that are plugged in and one SSP# to support USB3 devices that are plugged in.

My case has 2 USB3 plugs (4 IDs), and my board backplate has 4 USB3 plugs (8 IDs) and 2 USB2 plugs (2 IDs), and the board has a USB2 port for the Bluetooth on the half-mini PCIe card (1 ID). So I require 4 + 8 + 2 + 1 = 15, so XHC has just enough capacity. My DSDT maps exactly the set of functional port IDs and drops the rest.

If your case has an extra USB2 port, the same approach won't work for you (because you need 16 IDs but only have room for 15). You'd have to choose one USB2 port to be non-functional, or one USB3 port to only work with USB2 devices, or whatever.

Another approach is to remap all USB2 ports to a different USB controller (EHC1, or whatever your DSDT declares it has). That would put all the SS## ports on EHC1 and the SSP# ports on XHC, and then they each have enough capacity.

I don't think that's as straightforward as it sounds, but that's the kind of stuff people are discussing in the "get USB working in El Capitan" threads. If you want to follow up on this, you should take the discussion there.

Hello!

Thanks a lot for the detailed and accurate guide. Installing was a charm. Thanks A LOT.

F.Y.I., my installation was on a GA-Z87X-UD7 TH, with a nVidia 970. Obviously, my initial installation crashes every time I tried, until I found the nv_disable=1 in Clover boot, that works very well. All installed, nVidia web drivers download and... Voila! Full 4k El Capitan installation working. Nice!

Only a little problem. Audio from DP to monitor is not working. :( Audio card seems to be recognized (ALC898), but no digital output through nVidia DP port. Any clue?

I must check USB ports, and details, but... very satisfied. Anyway... There is any specific DSDT for this motherboard? Could I simply change one for the other? I am an absolutely noob with Clover, sorry... :)

Thanks again. Great job!

I have only used DisplayPort audio with integrated graphics. I'm not sure what's needed to make it work with Nvidia graphics. I think you should post the question to the Audio forum (or maybe search that to see if there's an answer already).

I don't see a DSDT for this board in the DSDT database on this site.

Pjalm has patches for this board to create a working DSDT, but it will probably bork some of your USB ports unless you massage the patch to avoid renaming XHC to XHC1. Even after that I had to do a lot of experimenting to get the USB entries in the DSDT correct. Unless you plan on working on USB/USB3 issues anyway, it's probably not worth the trouble. If you do want to try, register at that site and follow the three links toward the bottom of the first post to get MaciASL set up and apply patches.

So each USB controller is limited to 15 (I think) port IDs in El Capitan. By default the XHC controller has more than that in the DSDT of the H87N-WIFI (15 HS## plus 6 SSP# = 21). Note that each USB3 port requires 2 IDs, one HS## to support USB2 devices that are plugged in and one SSP# to support USB3 devices that are plugged in.

My case has 2 USB3 plugs (4 IDs), and my board backplate has 4 USB3 plugs (8 IDs) and 2 USB2 plugs (2 IDs), and the board has a USB2 port for the Bluetooth on the half-mini PCIe card (1 ID). So I require 4 + 8 + 2 + 1 = 15, so XHC has just enough capacity. My DSDT maps exactly the set of functional port IDs and drops the rest.

If your case has an extra USB2 port, the same approach won't work for you (because you need 16 IDs but only have room for 15). You'd have to choose one USB2 port to be non-functional, or one USB3 port to only work with USB2 devices, or whatever.

Another approach is to remap all USB2 ports to a different USB controller (EHC1, or whatever your DSDT declares it has). That would put all the SS## ports on EHC1 and the SSP# ports on XHC, and then they each have enough capacity.

I don't think that's as straightforward as it sounds, but that's the kind of stuff people are discussing in the "get USB working in El Capitan" threads. If you want to follow up on this, you should take the discussion there.

Hi ammulder,
Thank you very much for providing your DSDT.aml file with the correct mappings for the USB connectors.
I tried few minutes ago and everyting is working ok. All the usb ports working :D

I just have 2 question if you can help me with.
Now that i am using your DSDT.aml and everything is working but i have many sandobox lines when booting . I will attached the lines that i copied from system logs . ( all the kernel sandobx lines are regarding coreaudiod and AirPlayXPCHelper).
Do you have any idea what is this about?

Also a second question regarding clover. Before the update clover bootloader was fast like usual, 1-2 sec to appear. Now after updating to the leatest version and also updating to EL capitan is more slow...like about 20 seconds...the longest time it stays on scan entries.

I only have 4 entries like before...and also at home i have the H77N-wifi and i don`t have any problem with this.
It`s not a big deal i just want to know what is it about...i installed many times different versions of mac and clover and i never see this "bug" .

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• sandbox.log
    36.5 KB · Views: 141
Hi ammulder,
Thank you very much for providing your DSDT.aml file with the correct mappings for the USB connectors.
I tried few minutes ago and everyting is working ok. All the usb ports working :D

You're welcome.

Now that i am using your DSDT.aml and everything is working but i have many sandobox lines when booting . I will attached the lines that i copied from system logs . ( all the kernel sandobx lines are regarding coreaudiod and AirPlayXPCHelper).
Do you have any idea what is this about?

Nope. Have you set up your onboard audio yet? If not it may be defaulting to an airplay device and maybe that's related?

Also a second question regarding clover. Before the update clover bootloader was fast like usual, 1-2 sec to appear. Now after updating to the leatest version and also updating to EL capitan is more slow...like about 20 seconds...the longest time it stays on scan entries.

I only have 4 entries like before...and also at home i have the H77N-wifi and i don`t have any problem with this.
It`s not a big deal i just want to know what is it about...i installed many times different versions of mac and clover and i never see this "bug" .

Mine is quite fast. I'm not sure what to say on this one.

The audio i set it up after update and was working ok and it`s still working ok..
I just get this now after i put your DSDT.aml....hmm..i will keep looking :D
Should i try to generate a new DSDT from my system and just add the usb part from your dsdt?
Also i saw in maci that pjalm updated the patches on 2 oct...you think he fix them for el capitan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back