Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

Great guide. It allowed me to drop another SSD in my machine and install Win 8.1. :headbang:

A couple things I was hoping someone could comment on:

1) I have one strange situation regarding my audio in OS X now. If I'm in Win 8.1 and do a restart and then from the bootloader select my Yosemite drive the green port no longer outputs audio. If I do a full shut down from Win 8.1, then cold start the computer, the green port functions normally again.

It's not really a big deal doing a full shut down when switching between OS's just curious if anyone else has seen this and if there's a fix.

2) OS X was installed first and I didn't re-install chimera. What exactly is the benefit of bootMD vs boot1H?

Thanks in advance

Great guide. It allowed me to drop another SSD in my machine and install Win 8.1. :headbang:

A couple things I was hoping someone could comment on:

1) I have one strange situation regarding my audio in OS X now. If I'm in Win 8.1 and do a restart and then from the bootloader select my Yosemite drive the green port no longer outputs audio. If I do a full shut down from Win 8.1, then cold start the computer, the green port functions normally again.

It's not really a big deal doing a full shut down when switching between OS's just curious if anyone else has seen this and if there's a fix.

2) OS X was installed first and I didn't re-install chimera. What exactly is the benefit of bootMD vs boot1H?

Thanks in advance
Windows 8 and later wants to hang on to resources on a warm boot so it doesn't have to reload them - makes for a faster restart. If Win8 doesn't release the port, OS X can't use it.
Best to shut down Windows and then boot OS X rather than a warm reboot to OS X.

Advantage of BootMD is with OS X and Windows on same drive. Allows the Windows partition to remain the active partition while still allowing OS X to be the default partition to boot Chimera without being the active partition.

Windows 8 and later wants to hang on to resources on a warm boot so it doesn't have to reload them - makes for a faster restart. If Win8 doesn't release the port, OS X can't use it.
Best to shut down Windows and then boot OS X rather than a warm reboot to OS X.

Advantage of BootMD is with OS X and Windows on same drive. Allows the Windows partition to remain the active partition while still allowing OS X to be the default partition to boot Chimera without being the active partition.

Thank you very much for the clarification. I was worried I'd somehow messed up my OS X install.

When I Installing Win7 and mavericks on the same HDD I only see Mavericks When I booting from the harddrive.
When I boot from the USB with Unibeast + Mavericks installer I can see both.

Is it because my boot option in BIOS is set to legacy only?

I first installed OSX then Windows and then installed multibeast Again.

When I Installing Win7 and mavericks on the same HDD I only see Mavericks When I booting from the harddrive.
When I boot from the USB with Unibeast + Mavericks installer I can see both.

Is it because my boot option in BIOS is set to legacy only?

I first installed OSX then Windows and then installed multibeast Again.

Install Instant Menu with MultiBeast

Hello guys

I am trying to do a fresh install on to a single SSD that I divided into 2 partitions whilst on OSX Yosemite installer. Here's what I've done so far.

- I booted from UniBeast to installer.
- I went to Disk Utility
- I Erased both 240 GB SSD and 2 TB HDD
- After erasing I went to Partition and set the SSD into 2 Partitions. Top one WIN7 and bottom one OSX.
I put them both 120GB. Checked that GUID is on and MS-DOS FAT is on Win7 (1 Partition) and Mac Journaled on OSX (2 Partition).
- After that I divided my 2TB HDD into two, using the same settings.
- I shut down, restarted and went to BIOS to check and I noticed that under BIOS Features on Boot Options I have SSD named UEFI: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB.
And also this: UEFI:HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70 <- Can DVD spot be UEFI?

I wish not to continue installation because I read that in situations like these either Chimera bootloader wont work afterwards? Which would put me back to 0 because I have been there.

Help please! :)

[EDIT 1] // I'm really stupid and can't wait so I had to start the install. I went into BIOS before staritng to install Windows 7 and put UEFI and Legacy mode into only Legacy. Everything went and is still going directly as in the guide. I am now starting to install GIGABYTE drivers (CD was included from the Mobo).

[EDIT 2] // I can now get into the Bootloader menu where I have Windows NTFS, OSX and Windows FAT32. Problem is: if I open Windows NTFS it says BOOTMGR missing. OSX gives me a grey screen and then goes all black and nothing happens. I can't even click Windows FAT32.

[EDIT 3] // Same stuff happens with Windows 7 but now OS X Yosemite is working ''properly''. Or at least it feels like. I don't need boot flags to start up from Bootloader. Sometimes it freezes, maybe GTX 560 Ti is the problem and I need to fix it?

What the hell is going on? I did _exactly_ what the guide told me to do.

Hi I followed a different tutorial, both systems works, but, I have to plug an usb with chamaleon. What I did was installing first OS X Yosemite, and then recently the windows 8.

How can I avoid the usb? I need to install again the OSX, format the partition and reinstall? Could work if I try to install chamaleon to EFI and set the partition active?

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Yosemite 249.5 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data 249.7 GB disk0s4

Hi I followed a different tutorial, both systems works, but, I have to plug an usb with chamaleon. What I did was installing first OS X Yosemite, and then recently the windows 8.
When you install Win8 second, installer over-writes the MBR boot file.
Boot OS X with USB - run MultiBeast and select only the Chimera boot loader to install.
Build and install. Or download Chimera stand alone installer and run it to install Chimera.

I have installed Mavericks and Windows 7 on two separate SSD's
It boots fine OSX but when i try to boot Win7 my screen is saying "no signal". When I manual boot the disc in bios it works fine.
Why can it not boot from the boot loader?

Back