Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

Hi Guys
I need help, as I am a very confused newbie on my first build. (Long time mac user, completely lost with windows)

I just built a customac pro with z97x UD5h, i7 4790k, 16gb, gtx970 for a dual boot system.

While waiting for my 2nd SSD to arrive I installed Win 8.1 from a CD, without changing any BIOS settings (and have now already installed a ton of games and programs)

Now my other SSD arrived for Yosemite, and my 1TB HDD for storage, and I read this thread that you need to change bios BEFORE installing from CD.

1. Do I need to reinstall Win 8.1 from scratch (erase/reformat disk) after having changed my BIOS settings, just so Chimera boot loader can see it? Or can I still boot into W8 if I boot into BIOS and manually select it anyway, not using Chimera/Chameloen?

2. If I change my Bios settings now for OSX install, will it affect my Windows running now? Does the BIOS change settings depending on which boot you choose?

3. Also, for the 1TB, should that be formatted for HFS+ (I've already installed paragon on windows to read mac drives) or should it be partioned to FAT32 500mb HFS 500mb for both drives to access.

Thanks in advance for any help!
You really need to take a close look at your BIOS settings required for OS X to work as listed in the various success builds for your board - just put your board in the search box and take notes - I am sure there will be a lot to read there :lol:

The worst offender that can happen is if you installed trusted platform = Windows 8. Change this setting and Win8 let's you know you have to change it back.
If you installed Win8 UEFI mode, then Chimera/Chameleon can not boot Win8 - won't even "see" it. You will have to use Clover as your boot loader.

You really need to take a close look at your BIOS settings required for OS X to work as listed in the various success builds for your board - just put your board in the search box and take notes - I am sure there will be a lot to read there :lol:

The worst offender that can happen is if you installed trusted platform = Windows 8. Change this setting and Win8 let's you know you have to change it back.
If you installed Win8 UEFI mode, then Chimera/Chameleon can not boot Win8 - won't even "see" it. You will have to use Clover as your boot loader.

Thanks for the feedback GB.

I guess its best to just do a fresh install and follow the guide from the beginning.

Hello,

I have a problem with dual booting from 1 HDD.
I did everything like in tutorial, first I made two partitions, then on first I installed Windows 8.1. On second I installed Yosemite. And everything is working.
But when I start my PC, it automatically boots Windows.
I can only boot in Yosemite when I insert bootable USB. Then it automatically shows 3 options: USB, WINDOWS, YOSEMITE.
But without USB, I don't see Yosemite to boot in.

Can i fix this somehow?

Thanks

Hello,

I have a problem with dual booting from 1 HDD.
I did everything like in tutorial, first I made two partitions, then on first I installed Windows 8.1. On second I installed Yosemite. And everything is working.
But when I start my PC, it automatically boots Windows.
I can only boot in Yosemite when I insert bootable USB. Then it automatically shows 3 options: USB, WINDOWS, YOSEMITE.
But without USB, I don't see Yosemite to boot in.

Can i fix this somehow?

Thanks
Install boot loader on the OS X partition - what did you select in MultiBeast after you installed OS X?

I installed DSDT free, driver for lan and audio, chimera 4.0.1.
I tried everything. Nothing worked.
Now I will wait to buy SSD and then try to install Yosemite on it.

I installed DSDT free, driver for lan and audio, chimera 4.0.1.
I tried everything. Nothing worked.
Now I will wait to buy SSD and then try to install Yosemite on it.

Then the problem is likely in the BIOS settings. Do you have the OS set to Other and quickboot disabled?

Yes, OS is set to other and quick boot is disabled. I tried to install Yosemite on first partition, Win on second. Win on first, Yosemite on second and always is the same. Windows is automatically booting.

Yes, OS is set to other and quick boot is disabled. I tried to install Yosemite on first partition, Win on second. Win on first, Yosemite on second and always is the same. Windows is automatically booting.
Try boot OS X and go to http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3
download Chimera and install it to your drive. If it does not boot to the Chimera timeout screen then you have a form of the Boot0 error and need to try manually installing the boot files.

I tried installing chimera, and still the same problem.
I'm not getting boot0 error when booting. I'm getting:
boot0:GPT
boot0:test
boot0:done
and then Windows boot screen. :banghead:

Back