Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dual Booting Mountain Lion and Windows 8

#1) Trying to set the boot drive to the Windows physical disk gets me:
You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk.

The Bless Tool was unable to set the current boot disk.

#2) The physical Windows SSD is DISK 0 (using DISKUTIL LIST), the physical OSX SSD is DISK 1 however Windows boots off the small "system reserved" partition on that DISK 0 which is DISK 0S1. The "rest" of Windows resides on DISK 0S2.

You can see the layout on the screen print I posted a few messages back.
Then in the .boot.plist make HD(0,1) your default partition

Then in the .boot.plist make HD(0,1) your default partition

The partition on that "drive 0" I actually need to boot from is actually DISK 0s1 which is the "system reserved" partition, do I still use 0,1?

Thanks for all your help as I'm a total newb at this! :) Been a PC guy all my life (and I'm 70)!
Ed

The partition on that "drive 0" I actually need to boot from is actually DISK 0s1 which is the "system reserved" partition, do I still use 0,1?
yes
Thanks for all your help as I'm a total newb at this! :) Been a PC guy all my life (and I'm 70)!
Ed
I'm not much younger!:mrgreen:

Hi Guys,

I've just built my first Hackintosch from scratch thanks to this awesome board. I'll create a post about the build asap (Asus based).
I've created a dual boot.
I have:
- Two SSD 250gb for Systems
- One 2TB HD for datas

- Installed Yosemite on SSD1 (SSD2 disconnected) - Ok, Yosemite/Hackintosh works perfectly :thumbup:
- Installed Win8,1 on SSD2 (SSD1 disconnected) - Ok, Win8,1 works perfectly :thumbup:
- Connected both SSD, changed boot priority to SSD1, back on Yosemite, loaded Chimera again, reboot
- Multiboot ok, I had Yosemite, Windows NTFS (booting from the "System Reserved" Partition on Chimera Bootloader, the Windows NTFS partition won't boot Win8,1), so everything was PERFECT ! was... :)

I've used it like this for a few days, installing drivers, testing etc... then I decided to partition/format the 2TB HD for datas.
I wanted this HD to be "shared" between Yosemite and Win8,1 so using Disk Utility on Yosemite, I've created TWO 1 TB partitions. Both using MBR partition Type, both with ExFat format (so that OS X and Win8,1 could read/write on it).

Reboot.... and then the problem appears. I don't have anymore the "System Reserved" partition for booting Windows ! Only the Windows NTFS partition, but it won't boot on it.
So now I can only boot on Yosemite (still works fine).
I've tried to reload Chimera from Multicast, I've tried to change the partition type for the 2Tb drive, using GUID, but same same.... no more System Reserved partition at booting.... Only "Yosemite", "Windows NTFS", "Datas 1", "Datas 2" partitions appear. :banghead:

Any idea how to get back the "System Reserved" partition so I could boot on Windows again ?

Thank you very much,

For a shared drive, format it FAT32.

For a shared drive, format it FAT32.
Ok, thanks, good to know, thought ExFat is also Ok for a shared drive. I've changed that, but still have the "system reserved" partition missing. Have to reinstall Windows ?
I'd really like at least to understand what I've done wrong so I won't do it again (have to build another two desktop like this). Just created+format the partitions on the 2TB datas disk, reboot. No more windows "system reserved" partition. If anyone has an idea, I would appreciate it

Ok, thanks, good to know, thought ExFat is also Ok for a shared drive. I've changed that, but still have the "system reserved" partition missing. Have to reinstall Windows ?
I'd really like at least to understand what I've done wrong so I won't do it again (have to build another two desktop like this). Just created+format the partitions on the 2TB datas disk, reboot. No more windows "system reserved" partition. If anyone has an idea, I would appreciate it
Exfat is very unforgiving of any errors and is easily corrupted. Better to use FAT32.

Hi,
I have Windows 8 and OSX10.9 installed on the same H.D.D

Recently I opened disk utility from OSX and repaired the whole Hard Disk

some message appeared "updating windows boot.ini as required"

and now I can't boot to windows

boot error says "the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors"

Hi,
I have Windows 8 and OSX10.9 installed on the same H.D.D

Recently I opened disk utility from OSX and repaired the whole Hard Disk

some message appeared "updating windows boot.ini as required"

and now I can't boot to windows

boot error says "the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors"
Use your Windows install media to repair the Windows boot sector.

Hey guys, could you please help me?
Im trying to dual boot yosemite and windows 8.1
Here is the situation, I created 3 partitions on my HD with MAC OS disk utility
1-Mac (250gb)
2-Windows (250gb)
3-Data (1.5tb)
But the problem is...when I install both systems they create these small partitions (200mb for windows and 620mb yosemite) and my 3rd partition became the 5ft partition, and windows cant see it, so it becames unallocated space.
I dont know if windows cant handle 5 partitions on the same HD or if none HD cant have 5 patitions

Does anyone have a idea? Can I delete the 200mb partition created by windows? I deleted the 620mb created by MAC OS X and it cant boot without this small partition...please help!

Windows install tool attached
IMG_1081.JPG

Back