Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9530 using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Done, and added a screenshot. It still progresses to the blinking cursor at the top left though, this is the output right before that happens.

My guess is that you didn't set DVMT-prealloc as required (or your config.plist is not correct, or you forgot to boot with an invalid ig-platform-id, then rebuild cache such that the required patches can be applied by Clover).

Or you didn't patch for the pixel clock limit correctly.

You should use an external monitor to separate internal display issues (pixel clock) from other graphics issues (messed up DVMT-prealloc and associated patches).

Thanks RehabMan for helping me with this, it is very appreciated.

• My guess is that you didn't set DVMT-prealloc as required
My DVMT-prealloc is set to 160MB (as is required in the config.plist)

• your config.plist is not correct,
I use the config.plist from the dark-void repo so it should be correct.

• or you forgot to boot with an invalid ig-platform-id
After (successfully according to the script) applying the pixelclock patch and copying over patched DSDT I can no longer boot in, not even with an invalid ig-platform-id. I also cannot boot in by using the USB stick with only the FakeSmc and Voodoops2 kext, and no intel injection.

• You should use an external monitor to separate internal display issues (pixel clock) from other graphics issues (messed up DVMT-prealloc and associated patches).
I have tried plugging in both my TV and my desktop monitor, but I do not get any image on either (note they are both 4k, does it matter?)

Is it possible to rebuild cache without booting in? ie from single user more or something?

After (successfully according to the script) applying the pixelclock patch and copying over patched DSDT I can no longer boot in, not even with an invalid ig-platform-id. I also cannot boot in by using the USB stick with only the FakeSmc and Voodoops2 kext, and no intel injection.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

I have tried plugging in both my TV and my desktop monitor, but I do not get any image on either (note they are both 4k, does it matter?)

Use non-4k monitor.

I can't explain this, but I figured I post in case someone else is interested.

My 4k touch screen is working in OSX 10.12.6 on my Precision M3800, which is near identical to the XPS-9530.
I did nothing extra or special other than just use this The-DarkVoid El Capitan git repo and followed all the directions explicitly.

Only thing that I just noticed is that sound doesn't come back after waking from sleep, everything else seems solid.
Will check into later.

Thus far I've been quit impressed w/ this M3800 build. I purchased mine direct through Dell, but I see they are selling pretty cheap everywhere else. If someone wanted a functional laptop build, and w/ a decent price, I think the Dell XPS-9530 or the Dell Precision M3800 would make solid choices. There is enough info in this thread to get either running nicer than you thought possible.

Just noticed I could set up RAID in my laptop BIOS. I know I'll have to use a yosemite usb installer to configure the RAID drives for OSX installation. This could be a fun experience. I've been running RAID0 on all my desktop builds already.
Fun Times

if i use the createinstallmedia method, would it work? basebinaries method doesnt create the recovery partition right?

any updated guide for 10.12?

thanks

I can't explain this, but I figured I post in case someone else is interested.

My 4k touch screen is working in OSX 10.12.6 on my Precision M3800, which is near identical to the XPS-9530.
I did nothing extra or special other than just use this The-DarkVoid El Capitan git repo and followed all the directions explicitly.

Only thing that I just noticed is that sound doesn't come back after waking from sleep, everything else seems solid.
Will check into later.

Thus far I've been quit impressed w/ this M3800 build. I purchased mine direct through Dell, but I see they are selling pretty cheap everywhere else. If someone wanted a functional laptop build, and w/ a decent price, I think the Dell XPS-9530 or the Dell Precision M3800 would make solid choices. There is enough info in this thread to get either running nicer than you thought possible.

Just noticed I could set up RAID in my laptop BIOS. I know I'll have to use a yosemite usb installer to configure the RAID drives for OSX installation. This could be a fun experience. I've been running RAID0 on all my desktop builds already.
Fun Times

hi brianbass, did you use the createinstallmedia method or basebinaries?

hi brianbass, did you use the createinstallmedia method or basebinaries?
I guess i used the base binary method. I'm not real sure if it matters or not.
But I will warn that I didn't get my build working 100% right away, as I didn't follow the directions exactly. I took short cuts that overall didn't work. So I kept going through all the steps exactly, and finally got through successfully.

Here is the method for the making the install media that I used that worked for me:
mkdir /tmp/install_esd
hdiutil attach "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" -readonly -mountpoint /tmp/install_esd -nobrowse
sudo asr restore -source /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_osx -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt
diskutil rename "OS X Base System" install_osx
rm /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation/Packages
cp -a /tmp/install_esd/Packages /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation
cp -a /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/install_osx
hdiutil detach /tmp/install_esd
rmdir /tmp/install_esd
Replace the config.plist in the USB's CLOVER directory with the one located in the repository's INSTALLATION directory

Here is another thread that I also got useful info from.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dell-precision-m3800-2015-edition.159493/page-2
https://github.com/AustinSMU/PRECISION-M3800-OSX

Be warned the AustinSMU method didn't work well for me. But there is useful info in there.

One more tip is that the DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory for this "The_Dark_Void" repo is 160mb, not 128mb.
It has been updated in the git, but not in this thread.

Also I don't think just downloading the zip of the git repo will work well either.
So I would use the "git clone https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9530-OSX.git" like it says in the thread.

And here is "The_Dark_Void"'s original thread for the yosemite, which also has helpful info.
But this ElCapitan thread is what I got my Sierra 10.12.6 working with.

If you don't have any luck, I could post the exact steps I used to get my M3800 working.
Which was all tips pulled from throughout this thread.

Good Luck!

I guess i used the base binary method. I'm not real sure if it matters or not.
But I will warn that I didn't get my build working 100% right away, as I didn't follow the directions exactly. I took short cuts that overall didn't work. So I kept going through all the steps exactly, and finally got through successfully.

Here is the method for the making the install media that I used that worked for me:
mkdir /tmp/install_esd
hdiutil attach "/Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" -readonly -mountpoint /tmp/install_esd -nobrowse
sudo asr restore -source /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/install_osx -erase -format HFS+ -noprompt
diskutil rename "OS X Base System" install_osx
rm /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation/Packages
cp -a /tmp/install_esd/Packages /Volumes/install_osx/System/Installation
cp -a /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.dmg /tmp/install_esd/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/install_osx
hdiutil detach /tmp/install_esd
rmdir /tmp/install_esd
Replace the config.plist in the USB's CLOVER directory with the one located in the repository's INSTALLATION directory

Here is another thread that I also got useful info from.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dell-precision-m3800-2015-edition.159493/page-2
https://github.com/AustinSMU/PRECISION-M3800-OSX

Be warned the AustinSMU method didn't work well for me. But there is useful info in there.

One more tip is that the DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory for this "The_Dark_Void" repo is 160mb, not 128mb.
It has been updated in the git, but not in this thread.

Also I don't think just downloading the zip of the git repo will work well either.
So I would use the "git clone https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9530-OSX.git" like it says in the thread.

And here is "The_Dark_Void"'s original thread for the yosemite, which also has helpful info.
But this ElCapitan thread is what I got my Sierra 10.12.6 working with.

If you don't have any luck, I could post the exact steps I used to get my M3800 working.
Which was all tips pulled from throughout this thread.

Good Luck!

did you try createinstallmedia if it'll work? using basebinaries, do you have the recovery partition?

thanks

I do have the recovery partition. I made and tried many different methods for creating the usb install media. I used both of these methods in this thread, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
I think as long as you replace the config.plist in the USB's CLOVER directory with the one located in the repository's INSTALLATION directory you should be ok either way. But I did check and I do have a recovery partition, and still think I used the base binary method usb.

But I could be wrong, because I did go through a lot of trial and error before I got everything working. I was also testing 3 different guides, this one, the austin, and the syscl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back