Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9530 using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specify "-f" kernel flag, or use my version of Clover which still has "Without caches" in the menu.
Thanks! I'll have to take note of this, for next time.

So i've reinstalled Sierra with gfxmem set to 160 and then run the repo but still it's exactly the same. By the way, i can't find the boot without cache in the Rehabman clover's menu so i guess i'm stuck here and when i was patching the pixel clock i noticed that it said the coredisplay md5 wasn't recognized and i patched it anyways.

i can't find the boot without cache in the Rehabman clover's menu

In my version of Clover it is available from the spacebar menu.
If you don't find it, you're not running my version of Clover.

So i've reinstalled Sierra with gfxmem set to 160 and then run the repo but still it's exactly the same.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, please fill out your profile as per FAQ. Before your next reply.

So I got to the point that all of the things work except for graphics because I didn't patch the CoreDisplay. However, when I patch the CoreDisplay, it returns this:
"/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay: replacing existing signature
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay: code object is not signed at all
In subcomponent: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/A/CoreDisplay.tbd"
Then, when I reboot it, it just stops at the occasionally blinking cursor whether I inject the Intel gfx or not.

So I got to the point that all of the things work except for graphics because I didn't patch the CoreDisplay. However, when I patch the CoreDisplay, it returns this:
"/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay: replacing existing signature
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay: code object is not signed at all
In subcomponent: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/A/CoreDisplay.tbd"
Then, when I reboot it, it just stops at the occasionally blinking cursor whether I inject the Intel gfx or not.

Restore CoreDisplay to vanilla by running the macOS/OS X installer (the version you're running).
Then see FAQ for how to patch for the pixel clock:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Last edited:
Restore CoreDisplay to vanilla by running the macOS/OS X installer (the version you're runnign).
Then see FAQ for how to patch for the pixel clock:

I've restored my working OS without gfx backup back so i don't have to worry about it not booting up. On the other hand, the CoreDisplay problem is still there, not signing and whenever i boot it up, with or without caches and intel gfx, i still can't get to the main screen. Plugging in the HDMI cable causes the computer to instantly reboot.

I've restored my working OS without gfx backup back so i don't have to worry about it not booting up. On the other hand, the CoreDisplay problem is still there, not signing and whenever i boot it up, with or without caches and intel gfx, i still can't get to the main screen. Plugging in the HDMI cable causes the computer to instantly reboot.

See FAQ for correct way to patch for pixel clock.

I gave up and never got it working unfortunately so I have no solution for you.

Did you get it to work? I have the exact same problem as you. Which BIOS version do you have? I have BIOS revision A07, and not the latest, which I think is A09? Perhaps it is required to update the BIOS?

More information;
- I have used both createInstallMedia and base binary method for the USB install, and they both produce the same result.
- I have now downgraded to El Capitan (10.11.4) and it works perfectly, however updating El Capitan to 10.11.6 gives the same error as Sierra so I am currently stuck on this older version.
- I have also set VRAM to 160mb.
- I also tried rebuilding kext caches from single user mode, but it had no effect.

I gave up and never got it working unfortunately so I have no solution for you.

Did you get it to work? I have the exact same problem as you. Which BIOS version do you have? I have BIOS revision A07, and not the latest, which I think is A09? Perhaps it is required to update the BIOS?

More information;
- I have used both createInstallMedia and base binary method for the USB install, and they both produce the same result.
- I have now downgraded to El Capitan (10.11.4) and it works perfectly, however updating El Capitan to 10.11.6 gives the same error as Sierra so I am currently stuck on this older version.
- I have also set VRAM to 160mb.
- I also tried rebuilding kext caches from single user mode, but it had no effect.
Thats weird because all the guides I read for unlocking the bios were for the A07. But when I purchased my M3800 (nearly identical to xps-9530) it came w/ the A09. I decided to go ahead and attempt to unlock my A09 bios using the same method as described in this guide. It worked flawlessly.
I did have issues getting the right combination of things correct in order to get this build working properly.
I read through all the different guides and tried each one verbatim, this one was the only one I could get working properly.

I could post the exact steps that were the ones that eventually worked for me, in case anyone finds it useful. The steps were just a bunch of random tips throughout this thread.

If you still have that list of steps, I would definitely be interested in it just in case there is some little thing that I did differently. Also I am sure new people coming in would like to have a more up to date list of steps instead of reading through the whole thread like I am sure most people (including me) have done.

I am aiming for a new deep dive into this during this coming weekend, hopefully I will find the issue then. I really do not want to update the BIOS, but as of now that is my only lead to what might be wrong so that is probably going to be my first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back