Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9530 using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short answer, YES it will work.

I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 on my Dell m3800
I've got my 2015 model m3800 w/ 4k display running nicely using this guide along w/ some of the tips found throughout this thread.

F.Y.I. I was having problems getting display to stay on after everything was done w/ installation.
I tool the trouble shooting advice of someone in this thread to (PAINFULLY) navigate to the display settings to switch resolution to one that would keep display on.
In order to do so, I kept one finger on the brightness and one on the mouse, and little by little, moving the mouse little by little only when I was abel to see the cursor. It sucked, but it did work, and got me to a fully functional laptop.

Thanks go out to the dark-void for creating and supporting users in this thread, and ReHabMan for his continuous laptop support and help that he gives to this community. I am forever grateful!!

Also I'd like to thank anyone who has had an issue, worked out the solution, and posted the solution for others to learn from.
Without people posting their versions of what worked for them, I'd have never gotten my m3800 fully functional.
Thanks Again!!

thank you, planning to buy a used xps 9530, but since the m3800 would also work, i'd go with it, better value for me, has windows pro version, quadro is also more expensive (not that i'd be using it on osx), and configuration with 2 hdd/sdd in m3800 is more common than xps.

thank you, planning to buy a used xps 9530, but since the m3800 would also work, i'd go with it, better value for me, has windows pro version, quadro is also more expensive (not that i'd be using it on osx), and configuration with 2 hdd/sdd in m3800 is more common than xps.
If you get the m3800 built from the factory with Windows, it won't come w/ the linux/OSX compatible WIFI card, you'll have to buy/install the broadcom card that works w/ OSX.
F.Y.I. the intel cards either have tons of issues or won't work at all. Intel wifi is the default in the windows model.

And Yes the Nvidia card is useless in OSX, but you can disable it in OSX and still be able to use in Windows/Linux if your dual booting.

With Dark-Void's guide, I only had to apply the bluetooth kext from ReHabMan's broadcom bluetooth github, and it seems that everything is working well.

I wasn't sure that all the Dark-Void steps would work on my M3800 since it was for ElCapitan on the XPS9530 , and I'm attempting Sierra 10.12.6 on the M3800.

It worked..
Maybe someone will do a Sierra thread for the XPS9530 and M3800 even though it seems identical to the ElCapitan installation.

If you get the m3800 built from the factory with Windows, it won't come w/ the linux/OSX compatible WIFI card, you'll have to buy/install the broadcom card that works w/ OSX.
F.Y.I. the intel cards either have tons of issues or won't work at all. Intel wifi is the default in the windows model.

And Yes the Nvidia card is useless in OSX, but you can disable it in OSX and still be able to use in Windows/Linux if your dual booting.

With Dark-Void's guide, I only had to apply the bluetooth kext from ReHabMan's broadcom bluetooth github, and it seems that everything is working well.

I wasn't sure that all the Dark-Void steps would work on my M3800 since it was for ElCapitan on the XPS9530 , and I'm attempting Sierra 10.12.6 on the M3800.

It worked..
Maybe someone will do a Sierra thread for the XPS9530 and M3800 even though it seems identical to the ElCapitan installation.

hi, thanks for the info. will post once i get my hands on the m3800.

Hi,
I am stuck on a clean install of Sierra (12.6) on the XPS 9530. I've been running Yosemite for over 2 years on it with no issues and thought it was time for an update.

Problem: After booting into the finished Sierra install and applying the script (patching DSDT, patching CoreDisplay and patching HDA) I can no longer boot in for a second time. I am stuck roughly half way with some kind of spinner that keep spinning. When booting in verbose mode it clears all the text and gets stuck on a black screen with a white square in the top corner that occasionally blinks.. Any ideas?

More information: I have also tried the sysctl/m3800 deploy.sh script and it gets stuck on the same place. I have also tried removing the patched HDA kext. I also tried installing an older version of Sierra, but got stuck at the same place.

Hi,
I am stuck on a clean install of Sierra (12.6) on the XPS 9530. I've been running Yosemite for over 2 years on it with no issues and thought it was time for an update.

Problem: After booting into the finished Sierra install and applying the script (patching DSDT, patching CoreDisplay and patching HDA) I can no longer boot in for a second time. I am stuck roughly half way with some kind of spinner that keep spinning. When booting in verbose mode it clears all the text and gets stuck on a black screen with a white square in the top corner that occasionally blinks.. Any ideas?

More information: I have also tried the sysctl/m3800 deploy.sh script and it gets stuck on the same place. I have also tried removing the patched HDA kext. I also tried installing an older version of Sierra, but got stuck at the same place.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Sorry about that here is a better error report:
I have attached CLOVER folder minus themes dir, and I took a video of the verbose output, since it removed all output before it hangs.

More information: I can boot into the installed Sierra system fine with the kexts and the .plist as long as I do not patch the DSDTs OR patch CoreDisplay. Then it hangs every time.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • VID_20170828_173031797.mp4.zip
    32.2 MB · Views: 139
Sorry about that here is a better error report:
I have attached CLOVER folder minus themes dir, and I took a video of the verbose output, since it removed all output before it hangs.

More information: I can boot into the installed Sierra system fine with the kexts and the .plist as long as I do not patch the DSDTs OR patch CoreDisplay. Then it hangs every time.

You have patched SSDTs in ACPI/patched, but no patched DSDT.
As a result, I suspect renames are unbalanced.

Wow great hint, I noticed that the DarkVoid repo contains subrepos, so it is not enough to just clone it, you also have to run git submodule init and git submodule update to get all the DSDT patches.

So now I also got a DSDT.aml

However applying the correct patches did not change anything, it still hangs at the same place when booting.. :/. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
Wow great hint, I noticed that the DarkVoid repo contains subrepos, so it is not enough to just clone it, you also have to run git submodule init and git submodule update to get all the DSDT patches.

So now I also got a DSDT.aml

However applying the correct patches did not change anything, it still hangs at the same place when booting.. :/. Any other ideas?

Your profile is not filled out as per FAQ. Please fix.
And you forgot to attach a verbose boot photo.

Done, and added a screenshot. It still progresses to the blinking cursor at the top left though, this is the output right before that happens.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 18.52.46.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 18.52.46.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back