Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9530 using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I'm in a bit of a pickle, where the graphis acceleration is becoming an issue.

I'm able to boot with the flag "cpus=1", and the monitor is running at the native res, but as graphics acceleration isnt active, its a bit slow.

I dumped the acpi tables from clover, but I get tripped up on the patching process. the command to copy the acpi files also did not work, so I had to manually go there and copy the files.

When I open a terminal window in the XPS9530 folder none of the .xps9530 commands really work properly. Also I noticed that the command is looking for .dsl files, while all the files in the folder are .aml.

Any help would be appreciated, as with the intel wifi chip swapped out, I'm closer than ever to being able to use this as a "daily driver".

Hey,

I'm in a bit of a pickle, where the graphis acceleration is becoming an issue.

I'm able to boot with the flag "cpus=1", and the monitor is running at the native res, but as graphics acceleration isnt active, its a bit slow.

I dumped the acpi tables from clover, but I get tripped up on the patching process. the command to copy the acpi files also did not work, so I had to manually go there and copy the files.

When I open a terminal window in the XPS9530 folder none of the .xps9530 commands really work properly. Also I noticed that the command is looking for .dsl files, while all the files in the folder are .aml.

Any help would be appreciated, as with the intel wifi chip swapped out, I'm closer than ever to being able to use this as a "daily driver".

Your profile does not indicate you have a Dell...

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Your profile does not indicate you have a Dell...

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

System: razer blade 2014
Cpu: i7 4702hq, HM87
Gpu: hd4600, gtx 870m, 1800x3200

Since other than the gpu, the internals of the laptop are fairly similar to the dell, I followed this these instructions (excluding the bios modding part)

Currently the hd4600 is not recognized at all, but the display is running at native res. I placed the patched ssdt/dsdt in the local clover install, but it did not help.

Due to the blade having an intel wifi card, I replaced it with an old atheros wifi card, that worked no problem.

System: razer blade 2014
Cpu: i7 4702hq, HM87
Gpu: hd4600, gtx 870m, 1800x3200

Since other than the gpu, the internals of the laptop are fairly similar to the dell, I followed this these instructions (excluding the bios modding part)

Currently the hd4600 is not recognized at all, but the display is running at native res. I placed the patched ssdt/dsdt in the local clover install, but it did not help.

Due to the blade having an intel wifi card, I replaced it with an old atheros wifi card, that worked no problem.

This guide is specific to the Dell XPS 9530. As your laptop is not a match, you cannot use this guide unmodified.

See FAQ for UHD/QHD info, Clover guide, etc.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Your posts in this thread are off-topic. Open a separate thread in laptop support: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/

Tested various OS X these days including reinstallation numerous times and found something.

10.10.0 can boot smoothly with 0x0a260006 and 0x0a2e0008, lid wakes from sleep.

After 10.10.2, M3800 can only boot with 0x0a2e0008. With 0x04128086 inject(clover)&0x0a260006, system will stuck at verbose mode. Remove 0x04128086 and leave 0x0a260006 alone will boot system in error resolution with no QE/CI.

Reverted to Azul (10.10.0) in 10.10.5, lid wake problem disappeared, but QE/CI disappeared as well.

I've read your early posts and found that 0x0a2e0008 indeed has a lid wake problem (http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/155651-yosemite-10-10-2-no-wakeup-sleep.html).

It's obvious that 0x0a260006 works well on OS X especially lid wake/cover, but how can i use this ig-platform-id? or how to fix the 0x0a2e0008's sleep problem?

Tested various OS X these days including reinstallation numerous times and found something.

10.10.0 can boot smoothly with 0x0a260006 and 0x0a2e0008, lid wakes from sleep.

After 10.10.2, M3800 can only boot with 0x0a2e0008. With 0x04128086 inject(clover)&0x0a260006, system will stuck at verbose mode. Remove 0x04128086 and leave 0x0a260006 alone will boot system in error resolution with no QE/CI.

As expected. 10.10.2 removed native support for HD4600 mobile. Requires device-id inject and FakePCIID kexts from 10.10.2 and later.

Reverted to Azul (10.10.0) in 10.10.5, lid wake problem disappeared, but QE/CI disappeared as well.

Mixing kexts from different versions is a bad idea.

I've read your early posts and found that 0x0a2e0008 indeed has a lid wake problem (http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/155651-yosemite-10-10-2-no-wakeup-sleep.html).

It's obvious that 0x0a260006 works well on OS X especially lid wake/cover, but how can i use this ig-platform-id? or how to fix the 0x0a2e0008's sleep problem?

This guide uses patched 0xa260006.

As expected. 10.10.2 removed native support for HD4600 mobile. Requires device-id inject and FakePCIID kexts from 10.10.2 and later.

Under 10.10.2:
"RM, device-id" grapics id in system is 0416 and both Azul & HD 5000 is not loaded.

"RM, device-id" + 0x0a260006 Azul & HD5000 is not loaded.

"RM, device-id" + 0x0a260006 + FakeID 04128086 can't boot out of verbose mode.

Mixing kexts from different versions is a bad idea.

Yes, that's why I try to find out why lid can't wake after sleep and prevent old version kexts as well as i can.

Under 10.10.2:
"RM, device-id" grapics id in system is 0416 and both Azul & HD 5000 is not loaded.

"RM, device-id" + 0x0a260006 Azul & HD5000 is not loaded.

"RM, device-id" + 0x0a260006 + FakeID 04128086 can't boot out of verbose mode.

For HD4600 basic requirements, read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.html

Generally, "RM,device-id" is not used unless you want to do something strange.

You need to use config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x04128086. That will make the framebuffer and accelerator kext load. But the accelerator kext will still fail probe. That's where FakePCIID kexts come in... with FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext it will trick the accelerator into thinking the device really is 0x0412 instead of native 0x0416.

Of course, you still need to inject a proper ig-platform-id (config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id, and config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=true).

For UHD, you have additional requirements:
- patched IOKit
- DVMT-prealloc 96mb in BIOS
- framebuffer patched to match 96mb
- framebuffer patched for larger cursor bytes and framebuffer size

Keep in mind that Clover kext patching can only work on kexts that it loads... So, if you don't have the kexts in cache yet (because you previously booted with Graphics/Inject/Intel=false), you must boot without caches (Clover will load and patch the kexts), then rebuild caches. Next boot can be from cache since Clover will be able to patch the kexts that are now in cache.

It is best to use an external monitor during this process for analysis of ioreg/etc and to make edits when you forgot one or more of the requirements.

For HD4600 basic requirements, read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.html

Generally, "RM,device-id" is not used unless you want to do something strange.

You need to use config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x04128086. That will make the framebuffer and accelerator kext load. But the accelerator kext will still fail probe. That's where FakePCIID kexts come in... with FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext it will trick the accelerator into thinking the device really is 0x0412 instead of native 0x0416.

Of course, you still need to inject a proper ig-platform-id (config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id, and config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=true).

For UHD, you have additional requirements:
- patched IOKit
- DVMT-prealloc 96mb in BIOS
- framebuffer patched to match 96mb
- framebuffer patched for larger cursor bytes and framebuffer size

Keep in mind that Clover kext patching can only work on kexts that it loads... So, if you don't have the kexts in cache yet (because you previously booted with Graphics/Inject/Intel=false), you must boot without caches (Clover will load and patch the kexts), then rebuild caches. Next boot can be from cache since Clover will be able to patch the kexts that are now in cache.

It is best to use an external monitor during this process for analysis of ioreg/etc and to make edits when you forgot one or more of the requirements.

Thnx! unloaded kexts maybe the main reason that causes the patches failed! I'll do it as your advice and give a feedback soon!

For HD4600 basic requirements, read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.htmlGenerally, "RM,device-id" is not used unless you want to do something strange.You need to use config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x04128086. That will make the framebuffer and accelerator kext load. But the accelerator kext will still fail probe. That's where FakePCIID kexts come in... with FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext it will trick the accelerator into thinking the device really is 0x0412 instead of native 0x0416.Of course, you still need to inject a proper ig-platform-id (config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id, and config.plist/Graphics/Inject/Intel=true).For UHD, you have additional requirements:- patched IOKit- DVMT-prealloc 96mb in BIOS- framebuffer patched to match 96mb- framebuffer patched for larger cursor bytes and framebuffer sizeKeep in mind that Clover kext patching can only work on kexts that it loads... So, if you don't have the kexts in cache yet (because you previously booted with Graphics/Inject/Intel=false), you must boot without caches (Clover will load and patch the kexts), then rebuild caches. Next boot can be from cache since Clover will be able to patch the kexts that are now in cache.It is best to use an external monitor during this process for analysis of ioreg/etc and to make edits when you forgot one or more of the requirements.

YOU ARE DEFINITELY A GENIUS!!!!!!

after kexts loaded, rebuilding the cache takes effect!! I use another way by your advice to make the kexts load (by inject 0x0a2e0008 without caches and rebuild caches with kext utility, then inject 0x0a260006 after next boot, all works great and lid wake after sleep! So much thx for your great advices RehabMan!)

Now, I think these thread is nearly the same for M3800 (merge XPS 9530).

But, hp will lose sound after reboot(CodeCommander v2.4) i need to solve(codec is slightly different from darkvoid's XPS9530)

cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back