Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 9530 using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use rfkill in linux to enable the hw switch. Learned that one the hard way while playing with the disable wifi switch on my keyboard in osx and not being able to turn the card back on :)

Thanks for the input! Unfortunately rfkill doesn't manage to switch it off, it still stays on. Maybe my only option is to restore the BIOS, I'm still running A05, so I guess its a good excuse to update, however I really don't want to patch the BIOS again if it can be avoided.

I am starting to wonder if the issue is only partly related to the sleep/wake. Since the bluetooth is recognised immediately after wake, it might be that the wifi card is also recognised, but some config error is still preventing it from being turned on.

@the-darkvoid

Should the title of this thread be modified to include "Dell Precision M3800", since the same procedures work for it?

And the content of post #1?

I am having trouble getting into the Appstore. From having done this previously on other hacks I believe this is due to the en0 Ethernet issue. I would have thought this would have been taken care of through the Clover install and git files that I am using.

In any case, I did try to load rehab man's NullEthernet kext with Kext Utility and also dropped in the ssdt-rmne.aml into the patches folder but that still doesn't seem to work. When I go to Network Settings and try to add a new connection, I don't get any option for Ethernet - I only see VPN, PPoE, and 6 to 4. What else do I need to do?

Dave

I am having trouble getting into the Appstore. From having done this previously on other hacks I believe this is due to the en0 Ethernet issue. I would have thought this would have been taken care of through the Clover install and git files that I am using.

In any case, I did try to load rehab man's NullEthernet kext with Kext Utility and also dropped in the ssdt-rmne.aml into the patches folder but that still doesn't seem to work. When I go to Network Settings and try to add a new connection, I don't get any option for Ethernet - I only see VPN, PPoE, and 6 to 4. What else do I need to do?

Dave

Download patchmatic: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/RehabMan-patchmatic-2015-0107.zip
Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,
Code:
rm -Rf ~/Downloads/RehabMan
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

And output from:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu

Thank you rehabman. Here are the files requested. Is the kextstat supposed to output to a file or just the terminal screen? For the acpiplat it just displayed:

m3800s-MacBook-Pro:Rehabman m3800$ kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
13 2 0xffffff7f82162000 0x5f000 0x5f000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (3.1) <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

The second kextstat appleintelcpu didn't return anything at all.

Attachments

• red_z-ioreg.ioreg
    2.6 MB · Views: 114
  • patchmatic_rehabman.zip
    42.4 KB · Views: 74
Thank you rehabman. Here are the files requested. Is the kextstat supposed to output to a file or just the terminal screen? For the acpiplat it just displayed:

m3800s-MacBook-Pro:Rehabman m3800$ kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
13 2 0xffffff7f82162000 0x5f000 0x5f000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (3.1) <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>

The second kextstat appleintelcpu didn't return anything at all.

There is no sign of the RMNE device required to make NullEthernet.kext load.

Refer to the README: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet

You should check your bootlog to see if Clover is loading the SSDTs you expect it to. And also check your Clover/ACPI/patched/*.aml to see if you have the SSDT with RMNE installed.

Working now. I'm not sure exactly how I resolved, but here's a couple of things that I tweaked and its all working now:

- I made sure the EFI boot .efi that was being loaded was the CLOVERX64.efi and that my BOOTX64.efi in the BOOT folder was the exact same file (I copied and renamed my CLOVERX64.efi to the BOOT folder).
- I also noticed that my SSDT-rmne.aml was in lower case, so I renamed to all caps just in case it case case sensitive

In any case, after doing all this I was able to choose "Ethernet" in the Network settings and then applied the methodology to remove all networks, remove the NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot. Then re-installed the Ethernet first.

After this, I can now login in to the AppStore.

Many thanks again RehabMan and everyone on this thread!
Dave

Apart from following the guide, is any further configuration required to get a functioning wifi with BCM94352Z?

For those that have the
BCM94352Z, how is the linux support? Is it immediately recognised(using the bcmwl-kernel-source driver), or does it show as blocked by hardware switch?

Maybe I got really unlucky and sourced a defective card..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back