Contribute
Register

Guide: Dell XPS 8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you update from 10.9.2? What multibeast options did you install?

Yes, I upgraded from 10.9.2. I think I did select Fakesmc. Probably I will try to disable that and see if machine working normally and then upgrade again.

What option do you have?

Here is my chameleon boot plist.

cat /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>SystemType</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Choose_Your_OS</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks,
mddosx

Here's my org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Theme</key>
<string>LoginToLion</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>

I attached also my Multibeast options

Attachments

• mb.png
    mb.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 190
Thank you for the guide! After a few hours of tinkering around, I was able to install Mac on my xps.

It might be worth mentioning that I am running version 10.9.3, and it is detecting my GPU (AMD 7770) and allowing output through the dvi on it. I have my hdmi running from the motherboard port. I just booted with the vga connected to the motherboard as well, but my second screen would only flicker with a mirror of my main monitor. Reconnecting the vga (dvi to vga adapter) to the GPU didn't allow the second monitor to be used, nor did my computer recognize the GPU like it had before. Guess I just need to boot with everything properly connected to have access to the second monitor.

Audio works fine. I don't think I had to install drivers for the audio in Multibeast.

Coming from a Mac VM this is a breath of fresh air and will solve the annoying issues I was having with it. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 8.13.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 8.13.18 AM.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 209
VGA is not natively supported in OS X.

To turn mirroring, open the Display in System Preferences and click on the Arrangements button. Then, uncheck the Mirroring button.

10.9.3 installed without issues for me, and it fixed the audio issue I was having. Still, I would back up everything before installing the update.

Has anyone tried 10.9.4? It may be able to address the issue of audio sleep as in the release notes says "Improves the reliability of wake from sleep".

Thanks,
mddosx

I'm waiting until the SSD TRIM patch is available:

• Storage drivers updated - SSD TRIM patch will not work with 10.9.3 patch. Fix will be available in the next MultiBeast.

If you have an SSD, it may not be a bad idea to hold on.

I'm waiting until the SSD TRIM patch is available:

• Storage drivers updated - SSD TRIM patch will not work with 10.9.3 patch. Fix will be available in the next MultiBeast.

If you have an SSD, it may not be a bad idea to hold on.
See the last part of Post #2 on how to get TRIM in 10.9.4.

There were a couple posts on this thread about using UEFI boot with Clover. It is possible! Having just recently struggled trying to get Windows 7 to boot in UEFI on my ancient iMac, plus succeeded getting Windows 8 to do EFI booting on my Macbook Air, I'm now hooked and want my modern systems booting in this. I am dual booting my XPS 8500 with Windows 8 and Mavericks, each on their own SSD, with UEFI on and secure boot off. This thing is blazing fast, and the slowest part about a restart is the 10 second delay while Clover waits to boot into the default system. I may post a guide and include my Clover config files that worked, but I'm still ironing out some post-install kinks. This thread started out as a ML thread so there's a lot of conflicting advice out there. What's the most relevant info of proper kexts to use for Mavericks?

Also, if I run Multibeast and deselect Chimera, will it still install? The EasyBeast and DSDT free options both still show Chimera in the last page even after deselecting it so it looks like it will install it. I don't want to screw it up so I've been installing the Multibeast packages I need individually.

Built in Bluetooth doesn't work. I was running this system before with Chimera (different drive) and I could have sworn that Bluetooth was working. Anyone able to get this working? Kexts? Bluetooth shows up, though Airport doesn't--but the Bluetooth doesn't seem to actually see any devices.

I'm running a USB audio device (Lexicon Alpha) so didn't bother installing the Realtek kexts. Every once in a while I get a loud buzz through the speakers that can be resolved by unplugging and replugging the Lexicon. This seems to go away if I play music, too. When I replug I often get console messages that the IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in, and it takes a bit to come on. Anyone else using a USB audio device, and what works for you?

Still trying to work out how to view my iTunes library due to the Ivy Bridge DRM issue preventing movies from playing. I may put my library on an exFAT drive so I can watch movies on Windows and still access the library on the Mac side.

I installed 10.9.4 yesterday. The only issue I had was the usual kernel panic regarding cpu power management. The solution I proposed earlier still works. Everything else works like in 10.9.3, at least for me.

Attached is my multibeast config.

multibeast_10.9.4.png

Kudos to the tonymacx86 team for another great release. If you guys agree, please remember to donate so we can all keep using our hackintoshes with the latest OS from Cupertino.

update: iMessage stopped working for me. Regular iMessage fix does not seem to work. It seems to be related to Chameleon v3. Does anyone else have this problem?

Has anyone tried 10.9.4? It may be able to address the issue of audio sleep as in the release notes says "Improves the reliability of wake from sleep".

Thanks,
mddosx

Everything works fine in 10.9.4 -- except the audio wake-from-sleep issue. Same as 10.9.3.

update: iMessage stopped working for me. Regular iMessage fix does not seem to work. It seems to be related to Chameleon v3. Does anyone else have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back