Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://github.com/acidanthera/VirtualSMC

Note though that its design guidelines only support the Apple defined keys. I am not sure the keys you require are in there.
I might update the SMM module I wrote for FakeSMC to VirtualSMC to include the system fan RPM (keys F0ac and F1ac)

You're right... Multiplier, Clock and FanSpeed are not there. It will likely also require a re-write of HWMonitor to support it. Looks like Intel Power Gadget is the only tool so far that works, but it doesn't have toolbar functionality so this will have to do for now.

Still on balance this approach shows promise...

Although it may be a little bit off-topic, I am planning to upgrade SSD.
I am currently 960 Pro 512GB planning to upgrade to 1TB.
Is WD Black 1TB WDS100T2X0C better or Samsung 970 Evo for 9360 in macOS?

Although it may be a little bit off-topic, I am planning to upgrade SSD.
I am currently 960 Pro 512GB planning to upgrade to 1TB.
Is WD Black 1TB WDS100T2X0C better or Samsung 970 Evo for 9360 in macOS?

The nice thing about the WD NVMe SSDs is they can be set for 4k LBA and the Samsung drives cannot.

The nice thing about the WD NVMe SSDs is they can be set for 4k LBA and the Samsung drives cannot.

I'm using the Western Digital Black WDS100T2X0C with great success. Boot from an Ubuntu Live USB to set the sector size to 4K with NVME format and thats it.

Note there there is a trick to get NVME format to work, you have to boot to the Live USB, sleep your laptop and wake it up again.
Otherwise the SSD will not accept the command :problem:.

There are some blog posts detailing this issue should you want to know more.

I'm using the Western Digital Black WDS100T2X0C with great success. Boot from an Ubuntu Live USB to set the sector size to 4K with NVME format and thats it.

I did the same.

Note there there is a trick to get NVME format to work, you have to boot to the Live USB, sleep your laptop and wake it up again.
Otherwise the SSD will not accept the command :problem:.

I did not have that issue.

@the-darkvoid really appreciate you putting up the guide on Github, and everyone else for providing resources for the Dell xps 13.

I'm having a few issues modifying the EFI BIOS variablves. I've renamed DVMT.efi to Shell64U.efi, but when I hop into Clover shell, the command setup_var still isn't found? Looking through a few forum discussions and as per your guide, the command should work, but perhaps something is going on in the recent commit? Or perhaps it's something on my end? Any advice for troubleshooting?

@the-darkvoid really appreciate you putting up the guide on Github, and everyone else for providing resources for the Dell xps 13.

I'm having a few issues modifying the EFI BIOS variablves. I've renamed DVMT.efi to Shell64U.efi, but when I hop into Clover shell, the command setup_var still isn't found? Looking through a few forum discussions and as per your guide, the command should work, but perhaps something is going on in the recent commit? Or perhaps it's something on my end? Any advice for troubleshooting?

Hint: You need to run a different shell (setup_var is not in Shell64U.efi).

Hint: You need to run a different shell (setup_var is not in Shell64U.efi).
@RehabMan Thanks for the quick as reply.
"In order to run macOS successfully a number of EFI BIOS variables need to be modified. The included Clover bootloader contains an updated DVMT.efi, which includes a setup_var command to help do just that.

DVMT.efi can be launched from Clover directly by renaming it to Shell64U.efi in the tools folder."
Was following the-darkvoid's instructions on github and have renamed DVMT.efi Shell64U.efi. Is the DVMT.efi not a different shell?

@RehabMan Thanks for the quick as reply.
"In order to run macOS successfully a number of EFI BIOS variables need to be modified. The included Clover bootloader contains an updated DVMT.efi, which includes a setup_var command to help do just that.

DVMT.efi can be launched from Clover directly by renaming it to Shell64U.efi in the tools folder."
Was following the-darkvoid's instructions on github and have renamed DVMT.efi Shell64U.efi. Is the DVMT.efi not a different shell?

You probably made a mistake in the renaming.
Better to create a FAT32 USB with DVMT.efi copied as \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi.
Then boot directly to the USB instead of through Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back