Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
After some stress testing think I finally figured out the issue with random Mojave KPs on boot. Problem is that it's not good news.

Turns out Mojave's handling of the kernel cache on boot is more checksum-intensive than Sierra or High Sierra. So aggressive undervolting and/or overclocking will cause floating point errors whilst the kexts are being read from cache. Reducing the undervolt to -70mV worked (on the i7-7500U) and I haven't had a crash since.

Interesting because even on the more aggressive settings (-85mV), once the kext cache loads correctly the macOS kernel is more tolerant on higher undervolting. Windows bombs out at -75mV and Kali starts twitching at -80mV.
Hi, jkbuha! Could you please upload your latest EFI folder for Mojave and write BIOS patches that differ from high sierra? Because this annoying KP's on start and back from sleep make me sick :banghead:

Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS

Attachments

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
My latest EFI folder has been uploaded a couple pages back. No changes since then.

The one additional note I'd make in your case is that I never had any framebuffer KPs, mine were mostly related to ACPI and/or USB until I increased the voltage, which then resulted in no panics. Suggest you increase your DVMT pre-alloc to 192MB (0x06) in setup_var and see if it akes a difference.

Motherboard
XPS 13 9360
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
MacBook Pro
One other (minor) observation. I've had to resort to using older versions of ACPIBatteryManager, as the last two builds have caused erratic/sluggish trackpad behavio(u)r with VoodooI2C. Not sure if it's just my rig.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Kernel panic on Mojave, something wrong with graphic framebuffer, all modifications with DVMT are done and perfectly works on sierra. Problem reporting archive collected using a script in attachments.
Thanks!
Cannot use KextsToPatch for framebuffer patching in Mojave.
We use WhateverGreen based patching for it instead.

Motherboard
MSI Z170 Gaming M7
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
R9 Fury X
Mobile Phone
iOS
One other (minor) observation. I've had to resort to using older versions of ACPIBatteryManager, as the last two builds have caused erratic/sluggish trackpad behavio(u)r with VoodooI2C. Not sure if it's just my rig.
So you are using version 2017-10-01 v1.81.4? Had some erratic trackpad issues too, but only on battery, not on charging. I'm on 10.14.1

Left my xps 13 plugged in over night and running. Opened it today and this is how my screen now looks. Seems to be a hardware issue, anyone had something similar happening to them?
Been there before. Any heat and pressure on the screen can lead to that, temporarily. After a few hours of regular use, it should return to normal.