Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9360 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.x - LTS (Long-Term Support) Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of hackintoshing my 9360 with a 8th gen i7 8550u and a PM961 NVME SSD. What would I need to do differently? I saw a GitHub Link from @the-darkvoid so I am assuming I use a lot of the files from that since our specs are similar. Also will Handoff work with the Dell 1560 card? Thanks for your efforts to make these guides!!

I am thinking of hackintoshing my 9360 with a 8th gen i7 8550u and a PM961 NVME SSD. What would I need to do differently? I saw a GitHub Link from @the-darkvoid so I am assuming I use a lot of the files from that since our specs are similar. Also will Handoff work with the Dell 1560 card? Thanks for your efforts to make these guides!!

Not much difference between KabyLake and KabyLake-R.

Will the SSD work natively? I've read on a few other forums that the PM961 works natively. Thanks!

You may have issues with the PM961. You'll find out when you try.

I have the 9360 with i7 8550u, 4k and Mojave. Got everything working using this and darkvoid's guide except for I can't sustain more than 2ghz constant, despite having ample thermal headroom.

When testing with Prime95 the CPU goes to max 4GHZ for about 5 seconds or less, at around 40 watts, then quickly scales back to 2 ghz at around 15watts and 63c “utilization” On Intel Power Gadget does show 99 percent though.

When I was running on Ubuntu I had it easily at 3.2 constant, high 70s.

My i7-8550u is re-pasted with Kryonaut and I have thermal pads between the heat-sink and back-plate, drawing tons of heat away, in an A/C room. Fans do not sound like they are stressing at all and should have much more room to cool.

Is there anyway to get the maximum my temps will allow for without artificially throttling it back?

I am using the kexts in my EFI/CLOVER/kexts folder for CPU as shown here:
https://github.com/the-darkvoid/XPS9360-macOS/tree/master/kexts/i7-8550u

Thank you.

Last edited:
Although it may be a little bit off-topic, I am planning to upgrade SSD.
I am currently 960 Pro 512GB planning to upgrade to 1TB.
Is WD Black 1TB WDS100T2X0C better or Samsung 970 Evo for 9360 in macOS?

Just coming back to explain this point (as there currently are some killer deals atm... thank you Black Friday)

It would appear tempting to upgrade (in my case from an EVO 850) to an EVO 970 but do remember that the 9360 is power-limited to 2-channels only, not 4. So the performance increase will be capped. As previously discussed there are ways to increase this limit, but it is doubtful as to the long-term practicalities of this given the additional heat and power consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back