Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9350 macOS 10.12.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one step away from having a perfect setup now.
I've just recently swapped out the WiFi card with DW1560 (what a world of difference that makes over the USB dongle).
Everything now works great except for Bluetooth.

However, things only work great until after I put the laptop to sleep.
After first deep sleep, when the computer wakes up, bluetooth will no longer be detected by the OS.
At this point, WiFi still works properly, however, the second deep sleep will cause WiFi to stop working and even worse, the laptop itself will now no longer sleep (i.e. power button LED doesn't turn off).
Once this happens, the only way to get both cards back is through a reboot.
Bluetooth is only a minor annoyance since I rarely use it, but WiFi card not working and no deep sleep are really big deal breakers though. I've tried turning bluetooth off and it doesn't seem to help.

This issue may force me to revert back to the dongle because at least I didn't have sleep issues then... though roaming between networks were a royal pain because it takes a while for it to reconnect to networks from sleep.

UPDATE:
I may have found the solution to it.
A thought came to me that the newly-installed card may need some "priming" to sleep properly.
So, I rebooted into Windows 10 and did several deep sleep/wake-up cycles and rebooted back to Mac OS Sierra.
To my delight, the priming seems to be the key I needed to solve the problem.

I'm still holding my final judgment though. I will observe to see if the issue crops back up over the next several days.
Stay tuned!

Last edited:
I've just recently swapped out the WiFi card with DW1560 (what a world of difference that makes over the USB dongle).

After first deep sleep, when the computer wakes up, bluetooth will no longer be detected by the OS.
At this point, WiFi still works properly, however, the second deep sleep will cause WiFi to stop working and even worse, the laptop itself will now no longer sleep (i.e. power button LED doesn't turn off).
Bluetooth is only a minor annoyance since I rarely use it, but WiFi card not working and no deep sleep are really big deal breakers though. I've tried turning bluetooth off and it doesn't seem to help.

This issue may force me to revert back to the dongle because at least I didn't have sleep issues then... though roaming between networks were a royal pain because it takes a while for it to reconnect to networks from sleep.

UPDATE:
A thought came to me that the newly-installed card may need some "priming" to sleep properly.
So, I rebooted into Windows 10 and did several deep sleep/wake-up cycles and rebooted back to Mac OS Sierra.

I'm still holding my final judgment though. I will observe to see if the issue crops back up over the next several days.
Stay tuned!

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

UPDATE:

Stay tuned!
have you tried fn + prtscr to turn it off and turn it back on

have you tried fn + prtscr to turn it off and turn it back on
That key on Sierra doesn't seem to toggle WiFi for me. Instead it seems to disable/enable the touchpad for me.

Here are all the files you requested.

I still get the issue somewhat infrequently. I'm not really sure exactly what triggers it, but having a bluetooth device connected seems to be a pretty solid way to replicate it, so I'm pretty sure it's probably the bluetooth module is the one causing it.
I could potentially just disable it in the BIOS and live with it as I don't use it that much, but it would be nice to get it working though.

UPDATE:
It seems my hunch was correct. I disabled bluetooth in the BIOS and now I have zero sleep issues.
Seems like the Bluetooth card not being able to sleep/wake correctly also directly affects the WiFi card.
Now that it has been disabled though, it can no longer hamper the WiFi card.
That being said, it would still be nice to be able to use the Bluetooth card without fear of the WiFi card being disabled and sleep issues cropping up.

Someone over at another thread suggested putting `darkwake=10` in CLOVER->Boot settings.
I have not tried it yet because I am fairly satisfied with my current setting now and don't want to risk messing it up.
I'd like to know exactly what the effects of the different settings of those are before trying them out.

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    58.7 KB · Views: 140
  • ioreg.zip
    687.8 KB · Views: 150
  • CLOVER.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 219
  • touch.txt.zip
    966 bytes · Views: 146
Last edited:
Here are all the files you requested.

I still get the issue somewhat infrequently. I'm not really sure exactly what triggers it, but having a bluetooth device connected seems to be a pretty solid way to replicate it, so I'm pretty sure it's probably the bluetooth module is the one causing it.
I could potentially just disable it in the BIOS and live with it as I don't use it that much, but it would be nice to get it working though.

UPDATE:
It seems my hunch was correct. I disabled bluetooth in the BIOS and now I have zero sleep issues.
Seems like the Bluetooth card not being able to sleep/wake correctly also directly affects the WiFi card.
Now that it has been disabled though, it can no longer hamper the WiFi card.
That being said, it would still be nice to be able to use the Bluetooth card without fear of the WiFi card being disabled and sleep issues cropping up.

Someone over at another thread suggested putting `darkwake=10` in CLOVER->Boot settings.
I have not tried it yet because I am fairly satisfied with my current setting now and don't want to risk messing it up.
I'd like to know exactly what the effects of the different settings of those are before trying them out.

Your USB configuration is wrong.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

Thanks much!

I checked your guide and removed HS09, USR1, USR2, SS03 - SS06.
I'm not sure if that's what you were referring to by my USB configuration being wrong, but that seems to have fixed all my sleep issues while still having a functional Bluetooth.

Final USB configuration:
- HS01 -> Right HS USB
- HS02 -> Left HS USB
- HS03 -> Bluetooth
- HS04 -> Touchscreen
- HS05 -> Webcam
- SS01 -> Right SS USB
- SS02 -> Left SS USB

EDIT:
Or not... I spoke too soon, lol. It just happened again *sigh*.
On the bright side, it doesn't happen nearly as often as before though. In fact, I've only seen it twice as of this posting.
I'm trying to isolate what triggers it.

Interestingly, I took a snapshot of HS03 when it doesn't work and here's the difference I noticed.
ioreg screenshot on the left is when it stops working, while ioreg screenshot on the right is when it is still in working state.

UPDATE:
After a lot of extensive testing, I can finally replicate the issue consistently. It turns out it's not even any bluetooth problems.
It seems like it's connected to my use of USB-C-PD charging.
Immediately after plugging/unplugging the USB-C cable at least once, the bluetooth module will no longer wake up after sleeping. Strangely though, if I leave the USB-C cable plugged in, the bluetooth will wake up just fine.
That being said, I'm actually not entirely sure if it's the USB-C charging or just normal charging since I don't have my normal power adapter on me currently. I will have to do another round of testing when I have my normal power adapter on me.
Anyway, disabling the bluetooth module in the BIOS still works flawlessly though, so I guess I can just live without bluetooth till I figure this whole thing out.

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 6.11.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 6.11.45 PM.png
    356.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back