Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9350 macOS 10.12.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
awesome guide... picked up an used unit off craigslist over the weekend for $250. Going to give it a shot...

I'm so frustrated. I can't get my XPS to recognize my USB flash drive to boot up--it's not even listed in the boot-up selection screenn. It's a USB 3 made by Sandisk. Actually, it recognized it once and then it's not finding it again.

I created the USB using the command line and then installed clover. I verified that the EFI partition is on the USB by mounting it separately.

I have heard that the XPS has issues with UEFI boot, but I don't see many people noting it when googling it and I certainly didn't find a resolution. UGH

I'm so frustrated. I can't get my XPS to recognize my USB flash drive to boot up--it's not even listed in the boot-up selection screenn. It's a USB 3 made by Sandisk. Actually, it recognized it once and then it's not finding it again.

I created the USB using the command line and then installed clover. I verified that the EFI partition is on the USB by mounting it separately.

I have heard that the XPS has issues with UEFI boot, but I don't see many people noting it when googling it and I certainly didn't find a resolution. UGH

Use a USB2 stick. Make sure your laptop is plugged in to AC power. Make sure secure boot is disbled.

finally have good PM with Samsung 960 Pro NVMe after update firmware to 3B6QCXP7 on my XPS 13 9350

Use a USB2 stick. Make sure your laptop is plugged in to AC power. Make sure secure boot is disbled.

Thanks for the advice. Will try with a USB2 stick and report back (all other "normal" settings, including secure boot:eek:ff and AHCI instead of RAID were used.

Booting from USB thumbdrive solved (kinda--see below in my "longer explanation"*). Boots to Clover, and about 10 seconds after starting the installer it would reboot (it wouldn't even make it as far as the progress bar). In verbose mode the messages would flash by too quickly.

I'm going to go through the (comprehensive) guides again to see if I missed anything, but I've attached my CLOVER folder (BTW, the config-sys.plist is from syscl, which I used to modify the config. plist (for some reason his config.plist made the keyboard/mouse VERY unresponsive in Clover so moving around was very difficult, so I modified it).

Do I need to swap out the WiFi card before? I turned off both WiFi and BT in bios and it doesn't make a difference. Also tried booting into safe (-x) mode, which also didn't make a difference.

Note: for my SK hynix PC300 nvme I reformatted into 4K using an Ubuntu 17 Live USB with smartmontools and nvme.

Not sure what to do next except maybe to copy over the install files using terminal to replace the Unibeast created version. Any advice would be appreciated.

*A longer explanation of the USB issue (which probably is unrelated?):

For whatever reason, my XPS does not like GPT-formatted USB thumbdrives** and they won't show up in the boot screen--I even tried creating a Windows 10 install USB with GPT using Rufus (i.e., only a Windows 10 on the USB). It would only show the USB drive only when I had formatted the USB in MBR. On OSX, in terminal:

diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk3 2 MBR FAT32 EFS 200M jhfs+ Untitled R

before I used Unibeast to copy over the High Sierra install files.

I tried this with both USB 2 (HP, cruzer, Sandisk) and 3 (1x Sandisk) sticks. Secure boot turned off, legacy boot turned off (don't think that makes a difference, can try later, but bigger fish to fry).

Attachments

• CLOVER_CYF_XPS9350_2017-12-14.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 133
Booting from USB thumbdrive solved (kinda--see below in my "longer explanation"*). Boots to Clover, and about 10 seconds after starting the installer it would reboot (it wouldn't even make it as far as the progress bar). In verbose mode the messages would flash by too quickly.

Probably DVMT-prealloc related.
Read guide (regarding invalid ig-platform-id):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

For whatever reason, my XPS does not like GPT-formatted USB thumbdrives** and they won't show up in the boot screen--I even tried creating a Windows 10 install USB with GPT using Rufus (i.e., only a Windows 10 on the USB). It would only show the USB drive only when I had formatted the USB in MBR.

MBR/2-partition is better anyway.
Recommended by guide linked above...

Probably DVMT-prealloc related.
Read guide (regarding invalid ig-platform-id):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

MBR/2-partition is better anyway.
Recommended by guide linked above...

Thanks! I'll keep reading. I may re-copy the installer files on the USB before I do this because I rather not depend on something like Unibeast unless I need to.

Re: USB, haha, just irks me that "in this day and age" stuff like this still happens (worse, it seems my USB problem is sporadic). I thought the Zenbook I had a few years ago was problematic--I was at least able to get to the installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back