Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9343 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes I did. I even extracted the apfs.efi from the installer to see if that made a difference. No luck. Kexts in other folder on usb only fakesmc and VoodooPS2. Also tried putting USB-InjectAll.

I am able to choose the usb via BIOS, but that’s it; it goes to a black screen and remains. I can try with verbose to see if it is actually initiating anything.

Yes I did. I even extracted the apfs.efi from the installer to see if that made a difference. No luck. Kexts in other folder on usb only fakesmc and VoodooPS2. Also tried putting USB-InjectAll.

I am able to choose the usb via BIOS, but that’s it; it goes to a black screen and remains. I can try with verbose to see if it is actually initiating anything.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

quick heads up,

the 10.12.6 update would not let me patch coredisplay properly. everytime i did it, it would result in an error and would not let me boot. only fix from that was to reinstall sierra.

had to
sudo /sbin/mount -uw /
before i could patch it correctly. not sure if it was just an issue for me or if its an update thing, just thought you guys should know.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
This is my Clover folder from the USB created for High Sierra. As stated, I can't boot at all from this as it doesn't boot/load Clover... just a black screen after the BIOS drive (USB) selection.

Likely a BIOS setting problem.

That's what I thought too. BIOS hasn't changed (settings) and still works with Sierra. Any tips or known needed BIOS adjustments for High Sierra that didn't apply to Sierra?

Are you saying you can boot your Sierra installer from USB, but not the High Sierra USB you created?
What is the difference between the two?

quick heads up,

the 10.12.6 update would not let me patch coredisplay properly. everytime i did it, it would result in an error and would not let me boot. only fix from that was to reinstall sierra.

had to
sudo /sbin/mount -uw /
before i could patch it correctly. not sure if it was just an issue for me or if its an update thing, just thought you guys should know.
Same problem I could only boot with injector checked off in the option at boot loader screen.
This is message after attempt of patching with coredisplay:

Code:
Unknown version of CoreDisplay found..
---- BEGINNING MD5 HASH SUMS ---- version: 10.12.6 build:16G29

otool CoreDisplay: 9a653ffdfb5e1bcfaa71412000d0b111
otool CoreDisplay.bak: 54a5a1adfb1225411bacf5c3ee0b4d9a
           CoreDisplay: 188ac719b7f00e15c7ae23d0b97af669
       CoreDisplay.bak: 5ebdbc42c414d053ae14f38f7601f1ba

---- ENDING MD5 HASH SUMS -------

Is there any other way to fix that without reinstalling whole sierra?

Same problem I could only boot with injector checked off in the option at boot loader screen.
This is message after attempt of patching with coredisplay:

Code:
Unknown version of CoreDisplay found..
---- BEGINNING MD5 HASH SUMS ---- version: 10.12.6 build:16G29

otool CoreDisplay: 9a653ffdfb5e1bcfaa71412000d0b111
otool CoreDisplay.bak: 54a5a1adfb1225411bacf5c3ee0b4d9a
           CoreDisplay: 188ac719b7f00e15c7ae23d0b97af669
       CoreDisplay.bak: 5ebdbc42c414d053ae14f38f7601f1ba

---- ENDING MD5 HASH SUMS -------

Is there any other way to fix that without reinstalling whole sierra?

You're on a different boat than I was on. When my patch failed, I couldn't boot at all. It'll end up with a blank screen with a blinking cursor. If you can boot into OSX (with or without inject intel), you can do a
Code:
mv CoreDisplay.bak CoreDisplay
in the correct folder if you have access to a terminal, assuming your CoreDisplay.bak is working.

Also, I didn't use any script to patch. I did
Code:
sudo /sbin/mount -uw /
sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay
sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

also, if you have to reinstall sierra, don't wipe your sierra drive. just install over it. it'll return to 10.12 (or whatever version your installer is), then you can update to 10.12.6 and try again. It is a little time consuming (30+ mins for me), but its the only option if you can't even boot and get a terminal going.

Are you saying you can boot your Sierra installer from USB, but not the High Sierra USB you created?
What is the difference between the two?

apfs.efi is causing the issue I've described. This needs to be in the folder to do the file conversion, correct? If so, any idea how I can get this machine to boot from the USB with the efi present on the USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back