Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9343 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot boot to the Install MacOS High Sierra volume, resulting in the attached photo. My install USB is working as I did the first step of the install, then I followed your guide via the "vi" method to avoid the apfs conversion. Upon reboot from that step is the boot the fails. Thanks.

If it helps, I have attached my problem reporting folder from my Sierra environment, which I can still boot into.

Attachments

• IMG_6168.jpg
    IMG_6168.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 83
  • untitled folder.zip
    658.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I cannot boot to the Install MacOS High Sierra volume, resulting in the attached photo. My install USB is working as I did the first step of the install, then I followed your guide via the "vi" method to avoid the apfs conversion. Upon reboot from that step is the boot the fails. Thanks.

If it helps, I have attached my problem reporting folder from my Sierra environment, which I can still boot into.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Attachments

• untitled folder.zip
    4 MB · Views: 66
Probably panic due to incorrect DVMT-prealloc setting.
Use invalid ig-platform-id (0x12345678).

Also, no need for patched ACPI during install.
You have no kexts in Clover/kexts/Other. Not sure why you expect to boot the installer without kexts.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Thanks for the reply. DVMT is set as it always has been as a Hack. Adjusted in BIOS correctly.

I tried ig-platform-id (0x12345678) with same result.

FixHeaders in ACPI patches allowed the installer continue, but still does not complete the install. Not sure what to do next.

Here is my latest Problem Reporting files.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. DVMT is set as it always has been as a Hack. Adjusted in BIOS correctly.

I tried ig-platform-id (0x12345678) with same result.

FixHeaders in ACPI patches allowed the installer continue, but still does not complete the install. Not sure what to do next.

Here is my latest Problem Reporting files.
Well, scratch all of that. I deleted the update file, redownloaded it, deleted the first update attempt files in root and started over. I don't know what was different, but this time it worked! In High Sierra now.

I do have some issues that have crept up... Screen backlight somewhat works... The keys do toggle the brightness, but not as dim as they did in Sierra AND there is no graphical representation on screen as the brightness is adjusted. I re-did this guide in HS, with no change: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Wake from screen sleep does not work either. The system itself appears to wake, but the screen remains black. Reboot is needed.

Attachments

• untitled folder.zip
    2 MB · Views: 59
I do have some issues that have crept up... Screen backlight somewhat works... The keys do toggle the brightness, but not as dim as they did in Sierra AND there is no graphical representation on screen as the brightness is adjusted. I re-did this guide in HS, with no change: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

Wake from screen sleep does not work either. The system itself appears to wake, but the screen remains black. Reboot is needed.

Your brightness implementation is wrong. ig-platform-id 0x16260004 uses PWMMax of 0x1499, not 0xad9. SSDT-PNLF.aml assumes 0xad9 for Broadwell. You need to set RMCF.LMAX to 0x1499 via SSDT-Config.aml as described in the guide.

Your brightness implementation is wrong. ig-platform-id 0x16260004 uses PWMMax of 0x1499, not 0xad9. SSDT-PNLF.aml assumes 0xad9 for Broadwell. You need to set RMCF.LMAX to 0x1499 via SSDT-Config.aml as described in the guide.

- I returned to ig-platform-id of 0x16260002 and redid your guide again, but brightness remains misbehaving. No graphical representation when brightness buttons are pressed. Brightness does not 'hold' through reboot (goes back to max). Brightness keys for the most part work, but first press brings to max, then subsequent presses allow for adjustment. Brightness bar is however present in display CP.

- Wifi is lost after sleep. Always requires a reboot to get it back. A log out and back in does not correct this issue.

- General question regarding DSDT's. Is the current preferred method to not have one patched in the ACPI patched folder and rather patch on the fly with Clover? In other words are all of the patches that have been applied to my DSDT available to now be done via Clover?

I want to clean up my implementation of things, as I feel I have fallen behind new methods of going about things. Thanks much!

- I returned to ig-platform-id of 0x16260002 and redid your guide again, but brightness remains misbehaving. No graphical representation when brightness buttons are pressed. Brightness does not 'hold' through reboot (goes back to max). Brightness keys for the most part work, but first press brings to max, then subsequent presses allow for adjustment. Brightness bar is however present in display CP.

It sounds to me like you're pressing keys that correspond to BIOS functions, not macOS functions.
Make sure you implement your brightness keys correctly.
See relevant part of the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

Your DSDT is only partially patched for _OSI("Darwin"). The OSID method is unpatched.
Suggest you use: OSID->XSID, _OSI->XOSI patches + SSDT-XOSI.aml (see ACPI hotpatch guide/files).

- Wifi is lost after sleep. Always requires a reboot to get it back. A log out and back in does not correct this issue.

ACPI/origin files are too old to compare against ACPI/patched (you forgot to press F4).
Read "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully.

- General question regarding DSDT's. Is the current preferred method to not have one patched in the ACPI patched folder and rather patch on the fly with Clover? In other words are all of the patches that have been applied to my DSDT available to now be done via Clover?

Definitely hotpatch is preferred, but more difficult to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back