Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] DELL Optiplex 3020 Tower Mac OS X Mojave (Budget iMac Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96 thanks for bringing that up. I forgot to mention that apple will not support VGA connections! This is completely my fault. I have updated my posting and put a message at the top of this guide.

Oh! That is it then! I have been trying different methods for days and never heard of this anywhere.

Well, I guess this is finally a good excuse to get a new monitor!

Oh! That is it then! I have been trying different methods for days and never heard of this anywhere.

Oh ok, I am so sorry I forgot to mention that in my posting! I believe a DP to HDMI or DP to DVI adapter will probably do the trick for now, they usually have those at best buy. Although I haven't tried this so I would look it up on this website to make sure. Hope you get your hackintosh working!

Don't have to get a new monitor. You can use a DP to HDMI or DP to VGA adapter and use what you've got.

I am using VGA connector on the motherboard.

Yes, everything is looking the same inside the folders. I don't know if it makes any difference but I have two hard drives, one with Windows and in the other I plan to install MacOS (currently has linux installed). Both are HDD (if this works I may buy an SSD).

And no hurry 2005gg, I will be out for the weekend so I won't be able to try anything new before Monday.

Thank you everybody for your time :)
@trs96 and @2005gg were right..VGA not working ...u must use DP for hackintosh build..although i can get it working on my dell optilex 3020/7010/7020 and HP compaq 6300 just using VGA when installing Sierra andHigh Sierra by checking box ( inject EDID and inject Intel) as attachement below... they boot just fine BUT when installing Mojave and Catalina it's not working anymore.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-23 at 8.51.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-23 at 8.51.18 AM.png
    579.7 KB · Views: 110
I am using VGA connector on the motherboard.

Yes, everything is looking the same inside the folders. I don't know if it makes any difference but I have two hard drives, one with Windows and in the other I plan to install MacOS (currently has linux installed). Both are HDD (if this works I may buy an SSD).

And no hurry 2005gg, I will be out for the weekend so I won't be able to try anything new before Monday.

Thank you everybody for your time :)
My Suggestion would be clean install and just attach 1 HDD to your PC so you dont get confuse. here i attach my both EFI ...if u still using VGA you can use efi with VGA but if you manage to get adapter from dp to vga then use the other one.

1.copy either EFI folder to your usb installer ( depend on which display port u are using VGA or DP)
2.make sure for EFI partition is blank after deleting older EFI .
3.Then try to boot again and come back to us to inform how it goes.

Attachments

• EFI Dell 3020 Display Port DP.zip
    25.2 MB · Views: 206
  • EFI Dell 3020 VGA.zip
    25.2 MB · Views: 160
BTW, in Step 4, you advise users to run Kext Utility, after running KextBeast, to rebuild the kernel caches. KextBeast does this automatically after putting the kexts in the chosen location. Consequently, you don't need to run Kext Utility after KextBeast.

However, Kext Utility is another good app to have in your Hackintosh folder as there are times that you do need to just rebuild the kernel caches.
Hye Sir..just want to know what are the different between using kext utility and just downloading kext through Kext Installer in Clover Configurator (CC)? i notice that if using CC it will download automatically in Folder EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.. simple explanation would be appreciated ..thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• Kexts Folder.png
    Kexts Folder.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Hye Sir..just want to know what are the different between using kext utility and just downloading kext through Kext Installer in Clover Configurator (CC)? i notice that if using CC it will download automatically in Folder EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.. simple explanation would be appreciated ..thanks in advance :)
I don't use Clover Configurator (for lots of reasons) so I can't tell you about its operation. KextBeast doesn't put kexts in the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ folder as /Library/Extensions/ is where Apple wants 3rd party kexts located. MultiBeast only puts FakeSMC in the .../other/ folder; the other kexts are placed in /L/E/ folder.

(To use KextBeast, you have to download the appropriate kexts, usually from the Downloads menu located at the top of this page, and put them on your Desktop; then run KextBeast.)

BTW, IIRC, Hackintool also downloads the hackintosh kexts. But I don't know if Hackintool puts them in /L/E/ folder or .../other/ folder.

I don't use Clover Configurator (for lots of reasons) so I can't tell you about its operation. KextBeast doesn't put kexts in the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/ folder as /Library/Extensions/ is where Apple wants 3rd party kexts located. MultiBeast only puts FakeSMC in the .../other/ folder; the other kexts are placed in /L/E/ folder.

(To use KextBeast, you have to download the appropriate kexts, usually from the Downloads menu located at the top of this page, and put them on your Desktop; then run KextBeast.)

BTW, IIRC, Hackintool also downloads the hackintosh kexts. But I don't know if Hackintool puts them in /L/E/ folder or .../other/ folder.
I see..now it make sense now coz this two method are really different approach..thats why my 1st hackintosh failed coz combine those two method instead just using one.
Thanks for your explanation and hope others can get benefit from it too :)

Hi 2005gg, Will your guide work for the i5-4590?

This is an amazing guide, thanks. I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 and am hoping to get it working. The processor is the i5-4590. (not your 4570). I understand the difference is very slight but am a noob so unsure if this means it won't work.

The processor is the i5-4590. (not your 4570).
The 4590 is nothing more than an i5-4570 clocked slightly higher. That's it. Won't make any difference. They both have HD4600 graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back