Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] DELL Optiplex 3020 Tower Mac OS X Mojave (Budget iMac Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, trs96. I'll let you know how I get on.

Also, Can I use this guide and attachments with High Sierra instead of Mojave?
I've created an HS drive with appropriate unibest.

Also, Can I use this guide and attachments with High Sierra instead of Mojave?
I've created an HS drive with appropriate unibest.
Yes

The install went very well. Following the excellent instructions, I got OSX High Sierra installed withy in a couple of hours. I'm not yet there though, I've successfully installed OSX twice on this 3020 and successfully broken it almost immediately by installing web drivers for a GPU Nvidia 1050TI. Thanks for your help trs96

The initial steps went well, and I had a fully functioning mac. The only issue I hit was that if the 3020 bios were set to use UEFI boot, then then it would not load 10.13.6. It would cycle, freeze and reboot. If the machine was set to legacy then no problem.

I've seen a few guides to getting the Nvidia 1050ti working on Hackintosh. I have tried two, but this has not worked. On my last attempt, I installed the NVIDIA web drivers using code in terminal. this is the only source of the web drivers I found that worked with the build of osx HS that I have. 10.13.06.

Is this card so challenging because the hackingtosh install is so tightly configured to the 3020 or because this is just a tough card to support on HS? would get a Radion alternative to the Nvidia 1050ti to be a better option?

Can anyone recommend a guide as good as this one for installing the 1050ti?

Thanks.

To be specific about what happens.
Everything is operating well.
I install the Nvidia web drivers and when I reboot I can get to clover, BUT, if I select the osX drive, the computer hangs and reboots immediately.

I then start again with a clean install.

To be specific about what happens.
Everything is operating well.
I install the Nvidia web drivers and when I reboot I can get to clover, BUT, if I select the osX drive, the computer hangs and reboots immediately.

I then start again with a clean install.
You'll need to post your problem reporting files to get help. There's no need to keep doing a clean install every time it fails.
See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/

Hey guys, I just got a new monitor with HDMI, and a DisplayPort converter and it did the trick!

I was finally able to install Mojave, booting works OK and visually everything looks fine inside the OS.
The thing that is not working is sound, which I read is very common but I will look around and try to solve.

Thanks again for the guide and everybody's help!

Hey guys, I just got a new monitor with HDMI, and a DisplayPort converter and it did the trick!

I was finally able to install Mojave, booting works OK and visually everything looks fine inside the OS.
The thing that is not working is sound, which I read is very common but I will look around and try to solve.

Thanks again for the guide and everybody's help!
Glad to hear that! I got the sound working on mine through the monitor, but I haven't tried any other way so tell me if you find something!

I have sound through the soundcard on the motherboard.
My card (and probably yours too) is a Realtek ALC3220 which I found out is the same as the ALC280, so the what you'll have to do in clover is the same thing: https://github.com/acidanthera/applealc/wiki/supported-codecs.

What worked for me was to inject "13" and check "ResetHDA" in the Clover Configurator -> Devices -> Audio.
If 13 doesn't work try some of the other numbers on that model (revisions and layouts column).

I also had some trouble booting without the USB, probably my fault because I installed MacOS on top of a Linux distro and while I deleted the drive, the bootloader, GRUB, remained and got confused. But I got arround it creating a new boot entry in the BIOS, called Hackintosh, where I can choose the Boot file. It lets me access the EFI partition -> Boot and choose BOOTX64.EFI.

And that's it, all the rest seem flawless, even the USB 3 ports work ok!

Me and a friend are going to attempt a Hackintosh using the same Optiplex 3020 with i5-4590 but want to install a Radeon RX580. What modifications may be needed if we are adding a GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back