Contribute
Register

[Guide] Dell Inspiron 13 5378 (2-in-1) - MacOS 10.12.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so here is where this is today. I applied the two FAKEPCIID kexts to /Library/Extensions and use the aDummy kext (claiming to use layout 2.) I don't see the audio chip as an option in the preferences panel. I beleive in IOREG it may be showing as a device. I've attached debug files.

You will need to provide details on your issue and attach PR files as per FAQ.
I cannot begin to guess what your issue is.

Attachments

• debug_19966.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
Ok, so here is where this is today. I applied the two FAKEPCIID kexts to /Library/Extensions and use the aDummy kext (claiming to use layout 2.) I don't see the audio chip as an option in the preferences panel. I beleive in IOREG it may be showing as a device. I've attached debug files.

You may need ACPI patching for "IRQ Fix" and/or removal of FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext.

Looking into this. I'm assuming the is a DSDT patch as I remember seeing that somewhere.

You may need ACPI patching for "IRQ Fix" and/or removal of FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext.

Gave it a try, however the audio still doesn't show in the input/output dialog.

Try without FakePCIID_Intel_HDMI_Audio.kext.
Don't forget to boot without caches, rebuild cache, reboot.

One weird little bug I've noticed with Bluetooth:

So I just use the Intel wireless card as I'm not fussed with Wifi Not working as I use bluetooth tethering instead from my phone, as the bluetooth works fine.

But each time I have been in Linux (Xubuntu), when I go back to macOS, the bluetooth is unavailable, I have to go into Windows before it works again in macOS. Not sure if it's a problem specific to the laptop, or to hackintoshes, and not that bothered really as it's not a problem restarting into Windows quick to get it back working.

But if anyone knows the cause of what that is or how I can troubleshoot to see what the reasoning is, that's be great. If it's not specific to this laptop though and is a general issue, don't mind me.

One weird little bug I've noticed with Bluetooth:

So I just use the Intel wireless card as I'm not fussed with Wifi Not working as I use bluetooth tethering instead from my phone, as the bluetooth works fine.

But each time I have been in Linux (Xubuntu), when I go back to macOS, the bluetooth is unavailable, I have to go into Windows before it works again in macOS. Not sure if it's a problem specific to the laptop, or to hackintoshes, and not that bothered really as it's not a problem restarting into Windows quick to get it back working.

But if anyone knows the cause of what that is or how I can troubleshoot to see what the reasoning is, that's be great. If it's not specific to this laptop though and is a general issue, don't mind me.

The bluetooth hardware requires firmware upload. And you have no software to do that in macOS...
It could be that Linux resets the BT hardware on shutdown/restart, which causes the firmware it may have loaded to be lost.
Where on Windows, it leaves the hardware in the "firmware loaded" state on restart which means it is still there after soft reboot from Windows into macOS.

You should plan on installing supported BT hardware (Broadcom) such that you can install software (BrcmPatchRAM kexts) that will load the firmware when not present.

The bluetooth hardware requires firmware upload. And you have no software to do that in macOS...
It could be that Linux resets the BT hardware on shutdown/restart, which causes the firmware it may have loaded to be lost.
Where on Windows, it leaves the hardware in the "firmware loaded" state on restart which means it is still there after soft reboot from Windows into macOS.

You should plan on installing supported BT hardware (Broadcom) such that you can install software (BrcmPatchRAM kexts) that will load the firmware when not present.

Ok that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining! I'll definitely make sure to get a Broadcom card then.

Did a while ago but mucked up with getting the single notch not the double notch version. Don't know if it's a double notch m.2 on all of the 5378s but definitely remember to check beforehand peeps (or for safest bet, just get a double one). Luckly someone bought that off me so I didn't lose out from that mess up.

Last edited:
Is bootcamp supported? I would like to have windows and Backtrack on other partition as well.

Is the battery life better than in or comparable to Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back