Contribute
Register

[Guide] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover

It's just pointing to the app store. Anyway I asked a friend to download it for me, so I'll try to install it from the app store tomorrow.
(PS: confirmed that there's probably some sort of bug that is not allowing me to download mojave since my friend got a different behavior than mine doing the same steps)

Download with the Mac App Store.
So I tried downloading from the app store and running a `diff -rq`between the two .app without any result (ie files are exactly the same. I will try to use this one anyway since I'm totally desperate, but I'm pretty sure it's pointless

Read post #1.
I did already. i know its possible because so many others have done it. it boots to the usb installer and then just stops after it gets to the black screen with apple logo. What do you think I should try?

@RehabMan
I was able to configure and boot from a USB thumb drive, then reformatted my internal drive to APFS, and then initiated a Mojave install. It got to the point in the install where the machine reboots automatically and then one of two blue screens appear depending on CSM toggle [see attachments]. I've tried adjusting BIOS settings but cannot resolve. Can you please provide assistance? Thanks.

EDIT: I discovered if I booted from my USB thumb drive and used Clover to boot into macOS that made the blue screen cease. The computer was trying to boot from a Windows EFI partition, which is confusing since I wiped the drive.

However, I'm now having trouble getting the computer to boot from the correct EFI partition. Is it normal for there to be a WINDOWS partition even after wiping the internal drive? If so, can you help me configure Clover to boot from the macOS partition by default and not this orphaned Windows partition?

EDIT #2: The Windows partition has magically disappeared in my tweaking and I'm not entirely sure why. But it's no longer a problem.

My only problem now is I can't seem to get the keyboard and trackpad to work. I've installed the XhciDxe-64 driver, the UsbKbDxe-64 and UsbMouseDxe-64 drivers, and the VoodooPS2Controller.kext v1.9.2 to no avail. What's interesting is the keyboard and mouse actually worked upon first installing the Mojave but at a certain point broke. I'm thinking of reinstalling everything unless someone has a quick fix off the top of their head. Thanks, in advance, for the help.

EDIT #3: I was able to resolve all issues by starting from scratch and using this build: https://gitlab.com/maemo8086/thinkintosh_t480

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hi @RehabMan , I'm a noob, and trying my first install. I built the Clover install based on the Guide for the NUC 7i7DNHE. However, I can't seem to get past the Phase 1 Install session. The installer gets to about the 2 min mark, and reboots.

Not sure what information you want me to include, so please be gentile. : )

I enclosed a fleeting image of the screen just before it reboot. It went by so fast, I didn't even think I caught it!

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
Hi @RehabMan , I'm a noob, and trying my first install. I built the Clover install based on the Guide for the NUC 7i7DNHE. However, I can't seem to get past the Phase 1 Install session. The installer gets to about the 2 min mark, and reboots.

Not sure what information you want me to include, so please be gentile. : )

I enclosed a fleeting image of the screen just before it reboot. It went by so fast, I didn't even think I caught it!
I am by no means RehabMan, but it looks like you have at least 21 separate disks, or at least the computer thinks you do. Can you confirm this?

Only 1 disk, a Samsung 970 EVO SSD
I'm not sure if this would apply to you, but I experienced a few booting problems when installing macOS as well. The problem stemmed from the computer not knowing which disk to boot from in the middle of the install process. It's possible this is happening to you.

If you can, experiment with bypassing into the BIOS boot screen (for me it's F12) and select your install disk to see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work, try selecting the drive you're installing the OS onto.

I'm not sure if this would apply to you, but I experienced a few booting problems when installing macOS as well. The problem stemmed from the computer not knowing which disk to boot from in the middle of the install process. It's possible this is happening to you.

If you can, experiment with bypassing into the BIOS boot screen (for me it's F12) and select your install disk to see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work, try selecting the drive you're installing the OS onto.

Well, this is actually a small form factor computer (NUC) and the bios indicates that there is only USB booting, and one internal HD (SSD). It boots fine from the USB, and when I ran disk utility, it only discovered one SSD drive, which was formatted as Journaled.

Back